5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade 2019 RAM 1500 Infotainment to Uconnect 5

Imadjiddawi

Reaction score
Since i’ts been confirmed that 2022 Ram 1500 will support Uconnect 5, do you think that 2019 Ram 1500 owners will be able to update their system to Uconnect 5. If not, do you think we will be able to replace our current infotainment aiment system with the new Uconnect 5 version?

Info: I currently own a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the assessment. I like the hardware for UC5 and its supposed to be "4x faster". I also like how the newer versions take advantage of the screen real estate so I am personally thinking about investing in this newer system and ride the fixes as I have done so often in other arenas. Looking forward to the results all are doing here and the inevitable list's and how to's that I will be capturing and investigating :). In the meantime I use an apple CarPlay wired to wireless dongle on my 8.4" UC4 2020 system and squint my eyes slightly at this "tiny screen". :)
Just keep in mind, when you upgrade to UC5 hardware, you will not get OTA updates for the system.

vbd777

Reaction score
Just keep in mind, when you upgrade to UC5 hardware, you will not get OTA updates for the system.
Hi, Yes I read that I guess do to VIN number/etc. Updating with USB is still an option and is less convenient but part of the cost of swapping I suppose.

g00fy

Reaction score
Hi, Yes I read that I guess do to VIN number/etc. Updating with USB is still an option and is less convenient but part of the cost of swapping I suppose.

I'm not sure if Ram/Uconnect is locking down the updates even further, I tried to get a copy of Revision D from a tech, but he said it wouldn't let him download it without a VIN# for a truck that needs the update.

vbd777

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Ram/Uconnect is locking down the updates even further, I tried to get a copy of Revision D from a tech, but he said it wouldn't let him download it without a VIN# for a truck that needs the update.
I see. I didn't get that nuance from the details so I missed that. So we go begging to service advisors for help - I hope not. hmm.

vbd777

Reaction score
Soon or later, someone will share the file for a USB Update.
Yes I believe so. I have a dealership with a service department that is incredibly supportive and cares about customer support. They said when I bought the truck to wait a year and aftermarket folks would find ways of doing this. I was interested at that time in installing a cargo camera and programming the system to use it, and in the future to swap to a 12" system. While I wouldn't expect any dealership to warranty non factory installed systems I wouldn't expect them to block or prohibit these efforts to enhance/improve our RAM experience using OEM components. We will see. If I can attempt this I will work with these "smaller town" dealership service departments to aid in the updates. Worth a try. Buying a new truck just for a screen is simply not an option for me anyway.

g00fy

Reaction score
So it definitely wasn't coincidence that when I changed the BCM model year to 2022 and reset it that the Camera started working and all the buttons showed up.

I figured I'd switch my BCM back to 2019 now that I had the cameras working. As soon as i switched it back, all the camera buttons disappeared and the camera stopped working when I'd put the truck in reverse. I figured I'd try setting the BCM to 2021 and see what happened, still no cameras. The Uconnect has to read the BCM as a 2022 otherwise it won't let the cameras work at all, and even with the BCM set as a 2022, the camera softkeys still don't work, but the truck will at least bring up the cameras when I throw it in reverse.

Also, new problem, I tried to transfer my SXM subscription to the UC5, and the UC5 refuses to accept the subscription signal. Went through all the troubleshooting with SiriusXM, no joy. They're supposed to have an advanced tech call me back to try some other stuff, but I suspect I'm not gonna get anywhere.

vbd777

Reaction score
So it definitely wasn't coincidence that when I changed the BCM model year to 2022 and reset it that the Camera started working and all the buttons showed up.

I figured I'd switch my BCM back to 2019 now that I had the cameras working. As soon as i switched it back, all the camera buttons disappeared and the camera stopped working when I'd put the truck in reverse. I figured I'd try setting the BCM to 2021 and see what happened, still no cameras. The Uconnect has to read the BCM as a 2022 otherwise it won't let the cameras work at all, and even with the BCM set as a 2022, the camera softkeys still don't work, but the truck will at least bring up the cameras when I throw it in reverse.

Also, new problem, I tried to transfer my SXM subscription to the UC5, and the UC5 refuses to accept the subscription signal. Went through all the troubleshooting with SiriusXM, no joy. They're supposed to have an advanced tech call me back to try some other stuff, but I suspect I'm not gonna get anywhere.
Sorry if this is hip shooting but do you have any way of seeing if this new UC5 unit is even receiving any signal? What signs of life do you see in the XM/antenna hooked up ok without need of changing any connectors? Being on the front line is touch. Thanks for trying.

g00fy

Reaction score
Sorry if this is hip shooting but do you have any way of seeing if this new UC5 unit is even receiving any signal? What signs of life do you see in the XM/antenna hooked up ok without need of changing any connectors? Being on the front line is touch. Thanks for trying.
The Preview channel works fine, comes in perfectly clear, even in my garage. Also the GPS and Compass work.

vbd777

Reaction score
The Preview channel works fine, comes in perfectly clear, even in my garage. Also the GPS and Compass work.
Great news there. Well hopefully then they can help decipher where the broken link is. I have had SXM be slow to configure in past but figure you gave it a good amount of time.

g00fy

Reaction score
Great news there. Well hopefully then they can help decipher where the broken link is. I have had SXM be slow to configure in past but figure you gave it a good amount of time.
Yea i had the subscription switched over yesterday, then tried several times to refresh the signal today with no luck. I'm hoping I don't need the telematics module to be hooked up for the SXM to work.

vbd777

Reaction score
I see. I did a blitz google search regarding TBM which I know nothing about and there are some documents mentioning it. Looks possible that it too changes with uconnect 5 (?) and it
is all tied into 4G/hotspots/emergency calls/SirrusXM (perhaps mentioned in context of using Assist to activate speak in cab to activate Sirrus). Not sure if this too would need to be updated with the 2022 or not. Sorry I can't be of any help here.

g00fy

Reaction score
I see. I did a blitz google search regarding TBM which I know nothing about and there are some documents mentioning it. Looks possible that it too changes with uconnect 5 (?) and it
is all tied into 4G/hotspots/emergency calls/SirrusXM (perhaps mentioned in context of using Assist to activate speak in cab to activate Sirrus). Not sure if this too would need to be updated with the 2022 or not. Sorry I can't be of any help here.

Talked to some other people who are also attempting this swap, they had no issues getting their SXM to work. I'm wondering if the issue is because Sirius has my truck as a 2019 but my BCM is set to 2022.

vbd777

Reaction score
Talked to some other people who are also attempting this swap, they had no issues getting their SXM to work. I'm wondering if the issue is because Sirius has my truck as a 2019 but my BCM is set to 2022.
Personally dont see how model year would matter but radio model or serial number does. Could it be all the extra stuff sirrus offers like tracking stolen etc that would make model year matter? Guess your contact could help here…

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How did you set your model year in the BCM? I'm wondering if this maybe why we can't get the digital mirror working.

g00fy

Reaction score
I had to put a 3ft universal fakra cable in line to act as an adapter for the SiriusXM antenna, I'm wondering if that's causing an issue? I highly doubt it would cause a problem but I'm kinda running out of ideas with what's preventing this radio from accepting my Sirius subscription.

Cesar592

Reaction score
I had to put a 3ft universal fakra cable in line to act as an adapter for the SiriusXM antenna, I'm wondering if that's causing an issue? I highly doubt it would cause a problem but I'm kinda running out of ideas with what's preventing this radio from accepting my Sirius subscription.
what parts did you use for uc5

g00fy

Reaction score
what parts did you use for uc5
The module part number is 68507350AB

The screen i got is for an HD since it's got the Traction control button on it, I don't know what the part number would be for a 1500.

Everything thing else has been custom/customized wiring. We're still waiting to find out the mopar part numbers for the LVDS cable and USB cable.

g00fy

Reaction score
Just got my SiriusXM Subscription working, the problem was I also had an active Travel link subscription they were trying to transfer over as well, and the UC5 does not use travel link anymore, so that was jamming things up.

If anyone else does this swap and had an active paid for Travel link subscription, cancel it before you try and transfer your SXM account over to the UC5.

Users who are viewing this thread