5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade 2019 RAM 1500 Infotainment to Uconnect 5

Imadjiddawi

Reaction score
Since i’ts been confirmed that 2022 Ram 1500 will support Uconnect 5, do you think that 2019 Ram 1500 owners will be able to update their system to Uconnect 5. If not, do you think we will be able to replace our current infotainment aiment system with the new Uconnect 5 version?

Info: I currently own a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited.

Roman2179

Reaction score
I say it's a Hard No. Ram's business model won't make it feasible to be backward compatible with older vehicles because that would hurt sales of new vehicles, so they'll just make it work with new vehicles exclusively by making even just simple redesigns and reconfigurations so the components that work with the UConnect 5 are just THAT MUCH DIFFERENT enough to be incompatible with older vehicles (even switching the locations of wires within the plugs could cause things to not function and possibly even short out, damaging both older components as well as the new UConnect 5 stereo/command centers).
Keep in mind @Jimmy07 and I have swapped the following into the our gen 4s:
-12inch UAX
-Surround View
-Aux trailer cameras
-Door modules / mirrors (we wanted power convex and needed the side cameras for surround view)
-Blind spot monitoring
-Power side steps

That's just the short list and there is more than that. The work in progress right now is getting the digital rearview mirror working. None of this is rocket science and you can get pretty far from a few wiring diagrams. Swapping stuff from the gen5 to gen4 is significantly harder than swapping parts in from the same generation of truck.

Edit: Looks like a lot of this has been addressed above. Automotive development and updates are not done with the idea of making it incompatible with a previous vehicle, that is just a cost of moving technology forward.

I have BCMs for trucks pretty well going to 2014, guess what, they all have the options for the features they had planned at the time and, in fact, you can almost see what was in the pipeline by what parameters were added. It's an evolutionary process and new parameter fields are added as features are added in R&D but the overall electrical system is the same within the generations. An incredible amount of the stuff we added above was very plug and play after we updated the BCM parameters for the various modules to be happy. Some modules worked without any parameter updates at all.

The difference in connectors on the UC5 radios is not done because they don't want you swapping them into a different vehicle. It more than likely has to do with new tech that is available and the old connectors no longer fit the new requirements. It's a step forward in introducing new tech not a spiteful step to make sure no one can retrofit prior cars. Overall, it's not like FCA (Stellantis?) is going to do bespoke modules and coding for every car/truck/SUV they produce. They will use the same modules where ever possible that use the same exact CAN messages to communicate.

Will I have to get creative with some of the CAN bus message translation for the new UC5 radio to be happy in my 4th gen? Maybe, time will tell. I can tell you that all the features that the 4th gen came with were happily supported by the UAX. I only had to start working on magic tricks when getting surround view working but that is mostly due to the gen 4 not having the two parameter groups in the BCM where these settings are stored. In the case of swapping the UC5 into a gen 5 UC4 truck, that should not be an issue, from what I have seen the parameter groups are the same. Once the wiring is figured out and at this point, I think we only need to figure out the USB connections but even that is mostly resolved.

Last edited:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind @Jimmy07 and I have swapped the following into the our gen 4s:
-12inch UAX
-Surround View
-Aux trailer cameras
-Door modules / mirrors (we wanted power convex and needed the side cameras for surround view)
-Blind spot monitoring
-Power side steps

That's just the short list and there is more than that. The work in progress right now is getting the digital rearview mirror working. None of this is rocket science and you can get pretty far from a few wiring diagrams. Swapping stuff from the gen5 to gen4 is significantly harder than swapping parts in from the same generation of truck.
Don’t stop the great work guys! I don’t want rhe pioneers to disappear because a few think they know best and everyone else is wrong.

MLB12

Reaction score
Your business model argument doesn’t hold water. Otherwise, you could apply that same logic to any other factory upgrade that they would claim can’t be done after the fact, like adding adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring, passive entry, etc, which has all been done. Why would that be possible if, as you say, they would lose money on people buying lower trim models and adding all the upgrade features themselves. If you ask a Ram engineer, they’ll tell you that nothing can be added after the fact, unless it’s a mopar kit they offer, like remote start, bed lights, or power steps. But pretty much every feature on every FCA vehicle has been figured out how to add after the fact.
Speaking of backwards compatibility, would you think it’s possible to get blind spot monitoring, 12” radio, and surround view system working 100% like factory on a 2017 4th gen, features that didn’t even exist for Rams until the 5th gens? As far as this radio swap, the radio doesn’t control “as much of the truck” as most people would think. I won’t go into detail on why I believe it’s going to work, but let’s just say I’ve had this planned and figured months before ram announced they were going UC5. Other than that- about 2 months out on the radio module I ordered, and we shall see.

I'm a person who is a firm believer in the old adaga, "never say never", so based on my own much earlier experience I am very confident that having people such as Jimmy07 on this will move this project towards success.

As the guy who actually figured out how to get the rudiments of a 1st Gen MyGig to work in the pre-08 LX platform(Magnum, Charger, 300) when many others were adamant it was impossible, I know what can be accomplished when everyone pulls together. True, there were many naysayers, but when things starting working as they were supposed(but not in a per-07 as noted above), they couldn't climb on board fast enough.

Now, I didn't do the whole MyGig thing all by myself-quite frankly I'm not that smart, especially when it comes to the electronics in the new vehicles(CanBus and the sort), I'm persistent, but most importantly with the whole MyGig deal, I figured out the first part of the puzzle and many others contributed their many pieces and together everything fell into place for full operation of the MyGig.

Eventually, almost a year later 2 commercial entities brought out products that did what all of us had already figured out.

My 2 cents worth, for what it's worth on this whole situation, those that may believe that UC5 in a pre-'22 is a no go, please feel free to express your opinions, but maybe in a less detrimental way, or just keep them to yourselves and let those that feel it is doable keep forging ahead.

I know that I'll likely get piled on about this but that's the price of having an opinion. Even one put forth politely!

So, rant over-Jimmy07 would you mind sharing the various part numbers of the bits and pieces that you've been able to identify. I'd like to start investigating on my side of the border to see what may be found here. If you'd prefer not to I will most certainly understand. If you are okay with it though that would be great. I'm not big on using Frum messaging so you can reach me through [email protected]. Please let me know either way.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I'm a person who is a firm believer in the old adaga, "never say never", so based on my own much earlier experience I am very confident that having people such as Jimmy07 on this will move this project towards success.

As the guy who actually figured out how to get the rudiments of a 1st Gen MyGig to work in the pre-08 LX platform(Magnum, Charger, 300) when many others were adamant it was impossible, I know what can be accomplished when everyone pulls together. True, there were many naysayers, but when things starting working as they were supposed(but not in a per-07 as noted above), they couldn't climb on board fast enough.

Now, I didn't do the whole MyGig thing all by myself-quite frankly I'm not that smart, especially when it comes to the electronics in the new vehicles(CanBus and the sort), I'm persistent, but most importantly with the whole MyGig deal, I figured out the first part of the puzzle and many others contributed their many pieces and together everything fell into place for full operation of the MyGig.

Eventually, almost a year later 2 commercial entities brought out products that did what all of us had already figured out.

My 2 cents worth, for what it's worth on this whole situation, those that may believe that UC5 in a pre-'22 is a no go, please feel free to express your opinions, but maybe in a less detrimental way, or just keep them to yourselves and let those that feel it is doable keep forging ahead.

I know that I'll likely get piled on about this but that's the price of having an opinion. Even one put forth politely!

So, rant over-Jimmy07 would you mind sharing the various part numbers of the bits and pieces that you've been able to identify. I'd like to start investigating on my side of the border to see what may be found here. If you'd prefer not to I will most certainly understand. If you are okay with it though that would be great. I'm not big on using Frum messaging so you can reach me through [email protected]. Please let me know either way.

Well said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
For anyone who's curious, here's what the new uconnect 5 module looks like, pretty different from all the previous Uconnect modules I've seen from my Gen 4 1500 and my Gen 4.5 2500.

View attachment 111896

View attachment 111897
Any idea how that one compares to the uc4 module in the gen 5 rams? Never seen any of them so just asking for a friend 🤷‍♂️😬😂😂

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
IMHO I would think that Ram will make it compatible with the 2019 - 2021 trucks if for no other reason than when / if something goes wrong with our Uconnect 4 they have something to offer to fix it as opposed to letting the after market get all the business . I mean eventually (as someone already stated) they'll stop making the Uconnect 4 so it'll be almost impossible to replace it . I hope this makes sense . lol

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
IMHO I would think that Ram will make it compatible with the 2019 - 2021 trucks if for no other reason than when / if something goes wrong with our Uconnect 4 they have something to offer to fix it as opposed to letting the after market get all the business . I mean eventually (as someone already stated) they'll stop making the Uconnect 4 so it'll be almost impossible to replace it . I hope this makes sense . lol

Makes perfect sense buuuttttttttt you’re looking at (imo) 5 or more years before that happens.

g00fy

Reaction score
How long did it take?
Curious the cost. Also are you replacing the screen or just module?

I'm hoping I'll be able to get away with just the module which was a little north of $800 and took over 3 months to receive... Going to find out tonight if my existing 12" screen will work with the new module or if I'm going to have to shell out another $800 for the screen. At the moment we're not very confident the old Panasonic 12" screen will be compatible with the new Harmon Uconnect 5 module.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I'm hoping I'll be able to get away with just the module which was a little north of $800 and took over 3 months to receive... Going to find out tonight if my existing 12" screen will work with the new module or if I'm going to have to shell out another $800 for the screen. At the moment we're not very confident the old Panasonic 12" screen will be compatible with the new Harmon Uconnect 5 module.
Hoping that if the screen is just like a monitor for a computer that it’ll work without issue.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Makes perfect sense buuuttttttttt you’re looking at (imo) 5 or more years before that happens.

I believe that's about right . I just meant for those that wanted to wait but at the same time for those that don't want to wait they should be able to do it .

murdered6.7

Reaction score
im intrested in if this work also

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What did you find out? Get it working? What about the 2 different plugs?

g00fy

Reaction score
No Joy on using the Old screen with the new module. Another member built me an adapter harness for the new plugs, everything plugged in alright, but no signal to the screen.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was expected, I think. That will not be as easy to just re-pin a connector. Jimmy07 will figure it out, I hope.

CanRebel

Reaction score
Was expected, I think. That will not be as easy to just re-pin a connector. Jimmy07 will figure it out, I hope.
He was likely the person who made him the connector :)

I'm going to guess based on information from Uconnect and Ram, the screen needs to be upgraded.
Resolution was increased. I'm guessing that old 'tablets' can't display new resolution, or needs to configured to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread