5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade 2019 RAM 1500 Infotainment to Uconnect 5

Imadjiddawi

Reaction score
Since i’ts been confirmed that 2022 Ram 1500 will support Uconnect 5, do you think that 2019 Ram 1500 owners will be able to update their system to Uconnect 5. If not, do you think we will be able to replace our current infotainment aiment system with the new Uconnect 5 version?

Info: I currently own a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited.

vbd777

Reaction score
Thanks for the perseverance. Good to know as I will have to cancel as well when I do the swap. Hoping to see a list of basic steps so far for this new system when the dust settles and I too will brave the swap.

vbd777

Reaction score
The module part number is 68507350AB

The screen i got is for an HD since it's got the Traction control button on it, I don't know what the part number would be for a 1500.

Everything thing else has been custom/customized wiring. We're still waiting to find out the mopar part numbers for the LVDS cable and USB cable.
Can I ask how you ordered this module? Having a hard time through MOPAR/delerships as they want the VIN. New to this side of the discussion, the actual getting the parts...
Trying to identify the 2022 screen and UC5 module (68507350AB) to see if I can get them on order...

g00fy

Reaction score
Hmmm, I might have to try this (change to 21) with some things I cannot get to work in my 2020.
I was actually thinking about your truck today, I wonder if changing your BCM to a DJ - Ram 2500 might unlock your off-road front facing camera and hill decent control. I just didn't have time to look up the appropriate thread on HDrams to make the suggestion.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was actually thinking about your truck today, I wonder if changing your BCM to a DJ - Ram 2500 might unlock your off-road front facing camera and hill decent control. I just didn't have time to look up the appropriate thread on HDrams to make the suggestion.

Haven't tried. Jimmy suggested that the air suspension might not them work properly or (my words) there would be a cascade effect of very bad things.

The trailer light check also doesn't work so my thoughts were possibly changing to a 21 might at least resolve that.

If you change the BCM MY and let AlfaOBD auto-detect, does it see it as that MY or revert based on the BMC part number?

g00fy

Reaction score
Haven't tried. Jimmy suggested that the air suspension might not them work properly or (my words) there would be a cascade effect of very bad things.

The trailer light check also doesn't work so my thoughts were possibly changing to a 21 might at least resolve that.

If you change the BCM MY and let AlfaOBD auto-detect, does it see it as that MY or revert based on the BMC part number?

I tried the trailer lights thing, and even with my truck at 2022 it still doesn't work, Jimmy mentioned it could be a limitation of the EVIC since all the signal lights are controlled by it. I've considered upgrading to a 21 or 22 EVIC, but I heard a rumor 2023 is gonna offer a fully digital EVIC.

I'm not sure about the BCM model year auto detect because i went into the settings and turned off the option where it always verifies the BCM.

Last edited:

vbd777

Reaction score
So I captured a lot of steps so many have been guided with in these threads. My concern now is I really don't have a schematic in view of how the system wires together.
I visualized (perhaps wrong) that the display (new 2022 center stack) has connections to the UC5 radio and the radio will need adapter cables to the rest of the system. Will I need to purchase those given different connectors to new components? Also what connections go from the radio to my 2020 RAM 1500 (Harness probably)? Do I need any Jimmy07 cable for this new sequence of adding a new screen/UC5 radio module? Hope I am not repeating what others somewhere have asked but it seems newish to me based on threads I have read.

vbd777

Reaction score
You definitely won’t be able to upgrade your current software to Uconnect 5, but should be able to swap in the Uconnect 5 radio module. The single main radio connector you currently have will need to be adapted to two connectors for the Uconnect 5 radio module. Also, the USB cable that links the media hub to the radio module uses a different connector port on the UC5 module, and we’re trying to hunt down that part number. A few of us have already ordered Uconnect 5 radio modules to try out. I’m not sure if the current 12” screen used with UC4 needs to be swapped out with a new screen, but we’re hoping not.
Hi Jimmy, Can you share what connectors are required for the UC5 module and or if you have any pinout's or have adapted it yet? Wasn't sure if you had received the new radio and been able to try anything yet. Thanks

DUCATIGHOST

Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded from the 8.4 to the 12”? They are telling me I need some adaptor and to turn off the ics with alpha obd? Has anyone done this and can elaborate on what’s needed. Thank you

Cesar592

Reaction score
Here is the module and the screen of a Laramie 2022, I wanted to order but I want to wait how those who are already installing it go

Attachments

• 3DB1542C-3B0B-4977-8E8C-FB6ABD96521C.png
    3DB1542C-3B0B-4977-8E8C-FB6ABD96521C.png
    244.4 KB · Views: 198

theRamguy

Reaction score
Have a read in here.
I just finished the upgrade from 19 Uconnect 8.4 to 20 Uconnect 12. really simple install. and @MannyN is correct that you will want to take a look at the forum for specifics. This is a different conversation if you are trying to go from Uconnect 4 to Uconnect 5.

What is needed:

Any 12 in screen will work. This is what I used
Sgw bypass:
https://ecri.app/.../ecri-security-module-bypass-2018...

Alfaobd app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details...

Obd reader
https://www.amazon.com/.../ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i...
19-20 Compatable module 68317978al * last character is revision so anyone with the part number are for uconnect 12

21 compatable part number 68472372AE* same as above
Get a re-pin harness from user @Jimmy07 depending on which screen you get you may need to trim the harness. If you don't want to do this check out the forum for a wiring diagram for the repin
The screen and bezel all depend on color, style, and which buttons you need on top if any at all. There are too many to list since colors change as do the buttons at the top depending on 1500, 2500, diesel, lane sense, park assist etc. . All of them work but the top buttons won't function without that stuff being wired up.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also, when you get the screen with the lane assist and park assist button, which is actually cheaper then
the one without them, you can add the 4 missing sensors and you have park assist working.

Users who are viewing this thread