5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect/CarPlay Problems

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
On many occasions, I have read it was due to a non-Apple cable or the use of a cheap or after market cable.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Posted this for additional info for all. The long & short of it is that once you find which port Carplay works from you assume that a software update wont change that. Don't make that assumption because thats exactly what happened in the most recent update.

Another thing I tried was to use several different cables. 1 factory & 4 non factory one of which came from the dollar store. ALL the cables worked when Carplay was working. All the cables didn't work when Carplay decided it didn't want to work so I can say with fairly high degree of certainty that the cable statement is pretty much bs.

GilS

Reaction score
1 week and still at dealer with no updates. Was told 3 days ago (I had to call them) that they would have to charge me for the diagnostic due to having the ANC bypass. If they find the issue was due to the factory then I wouldn’t be charged. I told them at this point I’d pay either way to get my CarPlay back. The communication sucks and I still have no idea what is going on. All they said was that the BCM doesn’t recognize the hub and they don’t know why.

Getting ready to trade in a 1 year old truck with 4600 miles if they can’t figure this out soon. Won’t be a Dodge though after this experience

buckinghambuilt

Reaction score
Since I last posted mine (using Carplay and Android Auto) has been working without issues for the most part. One odd thing is if I plug in USB-C it detects the phone is there but I have to unplug the cable (which then it switches to another audio source like FM radio) and then I plug it back in and runs flawlessly.

This leads me to believe its software related and not a flaky physical connection.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
1 week and still at dealer with no updates. Was told 3 days ago (I had to call them) that they would have to charge me for the diagnostic due to having the ANC bypass. If they find the issue was due to the factory then I wouldn’t be charged. I told them at this point I’d pay either way to get my CarPlay back. The communication sucks and I still have no idea what is going on. All they said was that the BCM doesn’t recognize the hub and they don’t know why.

Getting ready to trade in a 1 year old truck with 4600 miles if they can’t figure this out soon. Won’t be a Dodge though after this experience
I'm not sure you will be happy if you trade it in over the Carplay since its pretty much the defacto system the other manufacturers use as well.

TOAST3094

Reaction score
So I recently began having the same issue on my 5 mo. old truck. When I plug my iphone 12 into the USB the charging starts and stops every few seconds but never fully connects. I know the cable works fine cause I've tested it at home and in my other vehicle. Another odd thing is that if I plug in my android, then android auto pulls up just fine. So I imagine there's a disconnect somehow with apple devices and CarPlay.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I recently began having the same issue on my 5 mo. old truck. When I plug my iphone 12 into the USB the charging starts and stops every few seconds but never fully connects. I know the cable works fine cause I've tested it at home and in my other vehicle. Another odd thing is that if I plug in my android, then android auto pulls up just fine. So I imagine there's a disconnect somehow with apple devices and CarPlay.
You have something else going on there as there are no issues with CarPlay and the RAM. Try doing a hard reset of your iPhone and reconnecting it to CarPlay.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Change to port you are connected to by moving the cable to another slot. The upgrade changes the Carplay port.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hello there,

If you are unable to resolve your concerns or have any questions at al, please feel free to send us a private message!

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

TOAST3094

Reaction score
Change to port you are connected to by moving the cable to another slot. The upgrade changes the Carplay port.
yeah i've tried every USB port on the media hub including the two USB-C plug ins with a the OEM cord and nothing changes. still the phone will charge for 2-3 seconds and then stop, and then start and then stop. wont stay connected long enough for carplay to start up.

TOAST3094

Reaction score
UPDATE: I've tried factory resetting my phone (erasing all content and settings) and then activating it as if it were a new phone (no reinstalled backup) and still no carplay. Also I tried using a friend's iphone 12 that was running a few updates old version of IOS and it worked just fine. Wondering if its a problem with IOS 14.5...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I've tried factory resetting my phone (erasing all content and settings) and then activating it as if it were a new phone (no reinstalled backup) and still no carplay. Also I tried using a friend's iphone 12 that was running a few updates old version of IOS and it worked just fine. Wondering if its a problem with IOS 14.5...
I have 14.5 and ZERO issues

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
More than likely, it’s the USB media hub, mine did this for the first year and a half (since new). Turned out to be the cable not seated correctly (at the factory, since it came like this when I bought it new). Dealer reseated cable and it’s been good for almost a year and a half w/o issues. (See my other post #57 on this thread).

OtterRam

Reaction score

At least the problem is narrowed down to your phone! If your phone is charging okay on every other charger (home charger, old school car charger etc) that would be very perplexing as your buddies phone works fine in the truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TOAST3094

Reaction score
More than likely, it’s the USB media hub, mine did this for the first year and a half (since new). Turned out to be the cable not seated correctly (at the factory, since it came like this when I bought it new). Dealer reseated cable and it’s been good for almost a year and a half w/o issues. (See my other post #57 on this thread).
Well the crazy thing is that carplay worked fine from this same phone for about a month until a little over a week ago... then it started doing this. And even today it still works with Android Auto. It's so localized to just my iphone that it doesn't make me think its the truck. I mean i may be wrong but its still confusing.

TOAST3094

Reaction score
At least the problem is narrowed down to your phone! If your phone is charging okay on every other charger (home charger, old school car charger etc) that would be very perplexing as your buddies phone works fine in the truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah my phone works totally fine. In fact i can plug in my phone to the media hub and watch it act funny (as described above) and then just unplug it from the truck and plug it into the USB port that's in the center console lift up and it charges just fine from that port. unfortunately CarPlay is not accessible from that port but it proves the cable works.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Well the crazy thing is that carplay worked fine from this same phone for about a month until a little over a week ago... then it started doing this. And even today it still works with Android Auto. It's so localized to just my iphone that it doesn't make me think its the truck. I mean i may be wrong but its still confusing.
Ok

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When the upgrade happened on my truck the phone port where I had always connected to Carplay displayed the symptoms you are describing. When i moved it from the port behind the console to the upper dash port it worked fine. My guess is if it still doesn't work that the upgrade hosed up the software or maybe the hub is not new enough to accept the software changes. In any case you probably need to go see the dealer and let them figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread