5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5 is much better but…

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Same issue here from day one. 2022 RAM Limited. I have to reset or change the theme on the radio to have the icons for seats and heated steering wheel show up. Latest software and the dealer cannot fix (its been in service a few times now). Pretty sad for such an expensive truck!
Still fighting my heated seat/steering and climate temp icons disappearing. Soft reset pushing and holding the center volume and tuning knobs always beings them back. Funny thing is they remain for the rest of the day even after multiple starts but then disappear the next calendar day. No idea why that would be. Very strange and even more frustrating.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
Are many people here already on the latest version, version 24?

I am still on 23 but I also had my first time that I didn't see the seat and steering wheel icons. after a restart of the system, it got them back.

What I already noticed way more, is that I cannot open the app page. it shows it for half a second and that's it. After another cycle or when I left the car and come back in after a shop visit, it opens the application page again.

Also what @ScubaZ66 is noticing I have as well. I listen to music/mp3s on the thumb drive that is always inserted in the usb port. Everytime I start the truck, the audio source is on FM radio. It seems like it resets or doesn't remember I was listening to mp3 on the stick.

In previous cars it just paused and when I came back in the car the next day it just continued where it left.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
We are entering the end of the model year build for 2022. 23's will begin the process down the line in a few short weeks. These trucks have already risen in price $6K - $10K in the past year, yet RAM can't seem to manage software fixes for the UConnect5 System.

As long as consumers continue to purchase useless products manufactures will continue to sell us garbage. It shouldn't take a year to design software to fix all the annoying problems with the UConnect5.

I expect an $80K truck to function flawlessly.

Anyone else feel this way?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
We are entering the end of the model year build for 2022. 23's will begin the process down the line in a few short weeks. These trucks have already risen in price $6K - $10K in the past year, yet RAM can't seem to manage software fixes for the UConnect5 System.

As long as consumers continue to purchase useless products manufactures will continue to sell us garbage. It shouldn't take a year to design software to fix all the annoying problems with the UConnect5.

NO!

every manufacture has issues
if a human built it, it can have problems

Ram sells over 500,000 trucks a year (company wide) yet there are few complaints
most people on forums are there to post issues and complain

I understand when you have an issue it is frustrating
but you have to keep at it, to get it fixed

contact @RamCares they can help

RamCares

Reaction score

We appreciate your feedback and would be glad to learn more details of your concerns to assist further. Feel welcome to send a PM with your VIN and any additional details about your vehicle so we can research our internal resources for you.

Steph
Ram Cares

mac424

Reaction score
Curious if anyone ever got their keys to link with profiles. Not just the S1 and S2 on the door, but actual profiles. I set my key and my wife's key up and all the settings change, but the actual radio profile. I've kind of given up at this point on it.

Funny part is, her Durango, 2022 with the 8.5 works as it should, but my 2022 Rebel GT with the 12.1 will not.

Dewey

Reaction score
Today I was driving for about a half hour and then suddenly my 12” screen shut down and rebooted for no reason at all. Never seen something like that happen ever over 10 years with my 8.4” screens and older versions of Uconnect.

johnstclair

Reaction score
I’ve had my 22 rebel with the 12” screen for 3 weeks and it has been extremely buggy and seems to be getting worse by the day. My volume knob and steering wheel volume will randomly stop working, lots of crashes, sometimes one after the other, shortcuts will disappear-heated seats and wheel, screen will suddenly turn to light mode even though its set to dark mode, screen will just turn solid white for a few minutes then crash, volume will suddenly go pretty much full blast and emit a horrible screeching noise until it crashes or I pull over and jump out. For the last few days everytime I start the truck it is rebooting. Went to the dealer today to talk to them and then scheduled an appointment for next week so they can have a look. I would expect a few bugs here and there with new hardware and software but this is waaay beyond a few bugs.
My rebel is starting to get buggy too it won't connect to the phone and some times the screen switches to another screen and the uconnect battery service just came up all this and not even 500 miles on the truck

Dewey

Reaction score
Is there a way to disable auto text alerts on the screen. I deselected the option in settings and still get them. I find it annoying while driving when they keep interrupting the page I’m on while driving.

RamCares

Reaction score
My rebel is starting to get buggy too it won't connect to the phone and some times the screen switches to another screen and the uconnect battery service just came up all this and not even 500 miles on the truck
Hello Johnstclair,

Please send us a PM with your VIN, we'd be happy to look into this further for you.

William
Ram Cares

Ram12375

Reaction score
I have been having a quite a few issues with my 12 inch uc5 with nav like restarting,gps signal lost,calibration failed messages etc. I am not too concerned as it is random. However I am curious if this uc5 infotainment system could possibly be causing issues with my air conditioner. I have had 2 separate instances where a/c was blowing really hot air( like high setting on heat). Once it lasted about an hour and once an entire day. The weird thing is once it decides to blow cold air it works really good. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Could it be linked to uc5? I am waiting for a loaner to become available at dealer so they can try to figure it out. I'm pretty sure it will work flawlessly when they have it

RamCares

Reaction score
I have been having a quite a few issues with my 12 inch uc5 with nav like restarting,gps signal lost,calibration failed messages etc. I am not too concerned as it is random. However I am curious if this uc5 infotainment system could possibly be causing issues with my air conditioner. I have had 2 separate instances where a/c was blowing really hot air( like high setting on heat). Once it lasted about an hour and once an entire day. The weird thing is once it decides to blow cold air it works really good. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Could it be linked to uc5? I am waiting for a loaner to become available at dealer so they can try to figure it out. I'm pretty sure it will work flawlessly when they have it
Hello Ram12375,

Thank you for grabbing our attention. If you wish to discuss this further, please send us a PM with your VIN, we'd be happy to assist.

William
Ram Cares

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't had any issues so far...until yesterday. I was driving down the road and the radio cut out and I hear this really loud hum for about 15 seconds straight. My 12" UConnect then went dark and restarted twice in succession. After that it appears to be functioning okay. I did check right afterwards and my USB stick still won't register in the hub.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
I hope this next update drastically fixes these issues, I’ve pretty much had it with UC5. For months this freezing/crashing followed by buzzing as described by wegasque has been driving me to near insanity. Sometimes it goes on for multiple days restarting, crashing, buzzing restarting… repeatedly. Can even change the damn hvac controls. The back up camera freezes every single time you touch the zoom button, super annoying. I have factory reset this sucker so many times I don’t even bother setting anything up custom anymore. So not enjoyable anymore, so fed up with this thing.

GMetal

Reaction score
I don't understand why this stuff is so glitchy. Is it because its a operating system in an automotive environment? Is it bad updates not getting all the code downloaded correctly? Imagine if this controlled the spark timing and fuel tables. Engine ECUs are typically really stable. I really dont need my stereo to also be a cellular phone. I have one already I can tie into the radio. No need for redundant controls either. I'm fine with the buttons on the side working. Companies like Apple, Tesla, and google all make software operating on their systems and it can be glitchy too. Is this the price of cutting edge technology? Is it engineering staff not being managed properly? Either way its cool stuff just frustrating when you use these vehicles for work to pay for the vehicle and it doesn't work. The long term for this stuff is not looking good. I remember the 80s technology in cars. Impossible to fix at some point. Whats the real life span for this technology? Will people keep coming back to these companies products if they cause headaches? Ultimately all these companies are run by humans and technology changes so I can understand to a point. Its easy to upgrade a $1000 phone yearly or every other year. Fewer will do that for a $65K-$120K truck. I bought the extended warranty. Once its up the truck will be sold. Depending on the problems encountered I will likely look for something with a better track record. My last 2 Dodge Rams 2nd gen and 3rd gen lasted a while. The newer 3rd gen was way more problems than the 2nd gen other than the dash falling apart. Im at 2000 miles on my 5th gen Ram and it will likely be the last at this point (final build quality and electrical issues). As we head towards greater involvement in electronics and software systems Im also going to head to companies with great track records of successful systems. One aw $h!t knocks out a 100 atta boys.

Azsmc

Reaction score
I don't understand why this stuff is so glitchy. Is it because its a operating system in an automotive environment? Is it bad updates not getting all the code downloaded correctly? Imagine if this controlled the spark timing and fuel tables. Engine ECUs are typically really stable. I really dont need my stereo to also be a cellular phone. I have one already I can tie into the radio. No need for redundant controls either. I'm fine with the buttons on the side working. Companies like Apple, Tesla, and google all make software operating on their systems and it can be glitchy too. Is this the price of cutting edge technology? Is it engineering staff not being managed properly? Either way its cool stuff just frustrating when you use these vehicles for work to pay for the vehicle and it doesn't work. The long term for this stuff is not looking good. I remember the 80s technology in cars. Impossible to fix at some point. Whats the real life span for this technology? Will people keep coming back to these companies products if they cause headaches? Ultimately all these companies are run by humans and technology changes so I can understand to a point. Its easy to upgrade a $1000 phone yearly or every other year. Fewer will do that for a $65K-$120K truck. I bought the extended warranty. Once its up the truck will be sold. Depending on the problems encountered I will likely look for something with a better track record. My last 2 Dodge Rams 2nd gen and 3rd gen lasted a while. The newer 3rd gen was way more problems than the 2nd gen other than the dash falling apart. Im at 2000 miles on my 5th gen Ram and it will likely be the last at this point (final build quality and electrical issues). As we head towards greater involvement in electronics and software systems Im also going to head to companies with great track records of successful systems. One aw $h!t knocks out a 100 atta boys.
If I had as many problems as you seem to have, you might consider downloading this update posted in this thread and giving it a chance as it seems you don’t have much to loose. You would need at least a 4gb USB memory stick as the file is 2gb in size. Several others have used it with no apparent problems. Might be worth the effort.
Through a friend, I was able to get the new 26.15 update installed. Keep in mind, my radio is a retrofit in a 4th gen 1500 so my experience may be different than everyone else's.

The update is being rolled out as an OTA slowly starting with a small set of build dates / VINs. Dealers won't be able to get you the update until your build date / VIN is added to the rollout.

Overall, I did not notice any major differences yet; things might be a smidge more responsive but overall no changes. The heated / vented seat controls are in their right spots but we'll see if they're still there tomorrow or the day after.

****Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any updates that go wrong. Update at your own risk.****
26.15 Update

Update instructions:
  • Download and place the the zip (DO NOT UNZIP) into the root directory of a FAT32 formatted thumb drive.
  • Insert the thumb drive into any of the USB ports in the center console.
  • You will be prompted to install the update.
    • It takes about 10-15 minutes to install.

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I had as many problems as you seem to have, you might consider downloading this update posted in this thread and giving it a chance as it seems you don’t have much to loose. You would need at least a 4gb USB memory stick as the file is 2gb in size. Several others have used it with no apparent problems. Might be worth the effort.
Well, for the update to work, you'd have to have a functioning USB Hub (which has it's own threads). I haven't been able to get a USB stick to simply be recognized in my truck. Granted I haven't been to the dealer to complain, so I take some blame. It's just frustrating.

Azsmc

Reaction score
Well, for the update to work, you'd have to have a functioning USB Hub (which has it's own threads). I haven't been able to get a USB stick to simply be recognized in my truck. Granted I haven't been to the dealer to complain, so I take some blame. It's just frustrating.
Thats is for sure. I do believe that the vast majority of people with 12" Uconnect 5 systems on ver 24.13 are working fine. This leads me to believe that those with chronic problems have underlying hardware problems that won’t get fixed with software updates. I could be wrong, as I don’t have first hand experience with very many trucks. I have see a few, like mine, that do work well. Knock on wood.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
Glad to see we think alike! The Uconnect5 is a computer much like my Laptop or IPhone. I seldom have problems with either. And who in RAM decided to use a keyboard from another country? I'm 66 years old and have always used a QWERTY Keyboard. Is the QWERTY Keyboard no longer the standard here in the USA?

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
Glad to see we think alike! The Uconnect5 is a computer much like my Laptop or IPhone. I seldom have problems with either. And who in RAM decided to use a keyboard from another country? I'm 66 years old and have always used a QWERTY Keyboard. Is the QWERTY Keyboard no longer the standard here in the USA?

maybe cause the headquaters of Stellantis is in Europe. I at least have a qwerty layout but you can probably adjust it in the settings

Users who are viewing this thread