5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5 is much better but…

Rebel2022

Reaction score
UC5 is still very buggy even on the latest update. There have been some improvements but there is a ways to go still. Your back up camera issue is one I have not experienced and assuming it wasn’t activated by someone touching the soft key might be something to report to you dealer.

As for the the instability all we can do is keep your phones updated to the latest software as well as the truck software although you have to wait for it to do it’s thing and update itself. You could also try a hard reset which some (including myself) have found useful in fixing some connected services. Oh and keep complaining, the more they hear hopefully the faster they roll out updates

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I purchased a 22 Ram 1500 Rebel back in mid November. By December I’ve been having issues with the CarPlay as well as the Screen going complete black. Shutting off the truck usually fixes it ,but it’s gotten to the point where every time I drive it something screwy happens. I’ve had things as screwed up as the back up camera come on while I’m driving forward going down the road. Thoughts? I can’t seem to have access to all my videos to share them.

UC5 is still very buggy even on the latest update. There have been some improvements but there is a ways to go still. Your back up camera issue is one I have not experienced and assuming it wasn’t activated by someone touching the soft key might be something to report to you dealer.

As for the the instability all we can do is keep your phones updated to the latest software as well as the truck software although you have to wait for it to do it’s thing and update itself. You could also try a hard reset which some (including myself) have found useful in fixing some connected services. Oh and keep complaining, the more they hear hopefully the faster they roll out updates
As rebel2022 said towards the end if your truck software is up to date(Latest I know of is in my signature) then a factory reset under settings is your next best thing. It helped mine also with traffic and weather now working.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
I have a 2022 Big Horn 2500 with the 8.5 UConnect5 and still haven't figured out how to get the interior lighting to come on when I open the doors at night. No overhead lights, no foot well lights, nothing. I'm climbing into a dark vehicle with no lights until I start the truck and have dash lights. anyone with a Big Horn have any ideas? Is this another safety item RAM placed deep within the UConnect5 System?

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Not sure its the same in a Bighorn but in the overhead console (by the rearview mirror) there is a rocker switch with 3 setting, interior always on, always off and the centre should be on when the doors are open.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
Not sure its the same in a Bighorn but in the overhead console (by the rearview mirror) there is a rocker switch with 3 setting, interior always on, always off and the centre should be on when the doors are open.
I've got the switch with three positions, but the lights only come on when I press the push button switch for either the driver or passenger overhead light.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
Admin, not sure if it's my account of the forum itself, but I always log on first, then read new posts. If I wish to reply to a post or add a post I'm forced to Log In again. Any ideas why?

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
Apparently the Admins for this site don't monitor it?

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
Admin, not sure if it's my account of the forum itself, but I always log on first, then read new posts. If I wish to reply to a post or add a post I'm forced to Log In again. Any ideas why?
No issues for me with Tapatalk here (stores my logins), but I do someone's have to logout of both Tapatalk and the website, then back in to get everything working together ...

I've had similar issues at another site that only works via web browser and I have my mobile browser (Firefox) set to dump all data/ cookies etc when I close it which creates the issue for me.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
No issues for me with Tapatalk here (stores my logins), but I do someone's have to logout of both Tapatalk and the website, then back in to get everything working together ...

I've had similar issues at another site that only works via web browser and I have my mobile browser (Firefox) set to dump all data/ cookies etc when I close it which creates the issue for me.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I'm using Firefox as well and mine is set up to clear history as well when I close the browser. I never store passwords because I don't trust the government and I know they are worse than the scammers when trying to obtain personal information on their citizens. I don't log on using my IPhone. I'm a member of other HD Forms and had other problems but never the Log On.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
So this happened today…. S23.13. Any info on what specific improvements were done beside what it says on the screen ? By the way…. The truck freaked out while updating, the center display started showing a few crazy messages that I had never seen before and was flashing my cargo light. Super weird….. so when it says don’t drive it while it’s updating…. Don’t drive it !!

Attachments

• 9C302D06-E9E6-413F-8B98-3951CDE760B2.jpeg
    9C302D06-E9E6-413F-8B98-3951CDE760B2.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 63
  • E1362881-0976-4819-9CA6-3ADB0C1A47BB.jpeg
    E1362881-0976-4819-9CA6-3ADB0C1A47BB.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 87028F44-0703-4D9E-AEDF-7DE63A8F404E.jpeg
    87028F44-0703-4D9E-AEDF-7DE63A8F404E.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 35CB1EE3-2F97-401E-BC9A-EA86E2D99462.jpeg
    35CB1EE3-2F97-401E-BC9A-EA86E2D99462.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 64

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
So this happened today…. S23.13. Any info on what specific improvements were done beside what it says on the screen ? By the way…. The truck freaked out while updating, the center display started showing a few crazy messages that I had never seen before and was flashing my cargo light. Super weird….. so when it says don’t drive it while it’s updating…. Don’t drive it !!

It is maybe to quick to notice but do you notice any changes or improvements already?
When did it upgrade, was it via 4g or from a wifi at home or office?

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
Those messages are normal for the center display. Yeah ummmmm def don’t update and drive 😂

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
It is maybe to quick to notice but do you notice any changes or improvements already?
When did it upgrade, was it via 4g or from a wifi at home or office?
Haven’t noticed a lot of improvements yet….. only the bugs. So far one bug is when scrolling the heater down via the physical buttons it used to show it go down to ‘off’, now there is no off just the fan 1 image…. So i guess you can’t turn the fans all the way down to off.

also, while in CarPlay the bottom part of the screen now shows the uconnect buttons where it never did before…. 🤨

it updated itself while in the drop off line at my kids school, didn’t give me a choice to say yes or no…. And there was no way in hell I was gonna **** off all the soccer moms by staying there to let it update. I value my life…. 😉😂

CndnRam

Reaction score
Man, I don’t know how you guys are dealing with this, I’ve had my truck a week(180km, Canadian) and it just won’t work. Had it at the dealer today for the update, still a complete piece of ****. Sorry new to the forum, haven’t read the thread but here are my multiple error messages for your enjoyment lol. Coming from a 2019 that worked flawlessly this is tough to swallow.

Attachments

• D6922D90-6053-45E6-BB0F-C72D4DFD3300.jpeg
    D6922D90-6053-45E6-BB0F-C72D4DFD3300.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 76
  • A832D32D-CF16-4D0A-B263-E22BBCEA632C.jpeg
    A832D32D-CF16-4D0A-B263-E22BBCEA632C.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 76
  • B0C2EAAA-8BA5-476C-8771-280D968A9512.jpeg
    B0C2EAAA-8BA5-476C-8771-280D968A9512.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 76

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
Took my first road trip in my new 2022 Ram Bighorn with the Uconnect5 with NAV. NAV worked great however, my music kept bouncing back and forth between USB1 and USB2 and whenever I tried to make a phone call by pressing the button on the steering wheel sometimes "Hey RAM" would pop up listening and sometimes "Siri" would pop up because I have my Apple Phone bluetoothed to the system. Sometimes I would get "You have no contacts stored and sometimes it would tell me to unlock my IPhone pass code. I find the system to be very buggy. The last automatic software update failed so I haven't tried to do a manual update.

I'm thinking I may have to do a manual reset of the system and start from scratch.

Anybody on the Forum have any suggestions?

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Took my first road trip in my new 2022 Ram Bighorn with the Uconnect5 with NAV. NAV worked great however, my music kept bouncing back and forth between USB1 and USB2 and whenever I tried to make a phone call by pressing the button on the steering wheel sometimes "Hey RAM" would pop up listening and sometimes "Siri" would pop up because I have my Apple Phone bluetoothed to the system. Sometimes I would get "You have no contacts stored and sometimes it would tell me to unlock my IPhone pass code. I find the system to be very buggy. The last automatic software update failed so I haven't tried to do a manual update.

I'm thinking I may have to do a manual reset of the system and start from scratch.

Anybody on the Forum have any suggestions?
Short pressing the button activates uconnect, (hey ram) long pressing activates Siri but yes overall still plenty of bugs

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just checked my lights again. Rebel is correct regarding the overhead switch. Three positions. Left is Off, Right is On. Center allows the lights to come on when the door is opened. however, this switch hasn't anything to do with the brightness of the dash lights or UConnect Screen.

Dial switch (on dash next to light switch) only has one click on the north end or up position that sets the dash lights and UConnect screen to the brightest position. Anything below this notch dims the same dash lights and Uconnect screen.

The question involves the Set Up withing the Uconnect 5 System. In the Display Setup, you can choose Auto or Manual. In the Auto Mode nothing changes. In most vehicles Auto Mode changes the Radio screen to a darker mode so the driver isn't blinded at night. Anyone who uses Nav at night understands how the screen changes to night mode during night drives. It works much like your cell phone where you have a night screen and a day screen.

You can manually set the screen to be either in Light Mode or Dark Mode and change the brightness with Headlight On or Headlights Off. However, come nighttime the Uconnect Screen doesn't change to night mode.

You would think Auto Mode would automatically change the screen mode to Light Mode during the day and Night Mode during the night, but that would be too simple to an engineer or a programmer.

To override the system I just put in in Auto Mode and selected Dark Screen Mode and turned the dial up to the brightest position past the click. Not the ultimate set up on a $65K truck, but oh well!!
I just got my 22 Big Horn and have a similar problem with the interior lights. My Uconnect seems to work appropriately with the auto function where it switches from light to dark theme depending on the headlights. The instrument dimmer (I have only one too) also dims the Uconnect screen. However, when I rotate it all the way up to the indent, the interior lights do not come on. My switch in the overhead switch it in the middle and the lights do come on when the doors are open. According to the manual excerpt below, rotating it up to the indent should turn the interior lights on.

As an aside, I noticed that 2019 Big Horns had both switches for the ambient and instrument lights. I have not seen a 2020 with both yet so it looks like us poor Big Horn peoples lost that ability. The manual only shows both setups.

"Rotate the instrument panel dimmer control downward to the O (off) position, and the interior lights will remain off when the doors are open. Rotating the instrument panel dimmer control all the way upward, past the detent, will turn on the interior lights. The interior lights will remain on when the dimmer control is in this position."

Last edited:

Anarki

Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't read through the whole thread yet, just the first post and a few of the more recent ones, however I felt compelled to share the quirks I have experienced so far with UC5 and any fixes I have used to remediated those issues.

1. The performance gauges widget on the home screen will be slow to update, or will stop updating all together. I found that having multiples of this widget on different pages will cause this, remove all duplicate widgets on other pages, and it will function normal again.

2. Apple carplay will stop working wirelessly, and will only work wired. I saw the excerpt on the first post, and I wanted to add that restarting the phone will also fix this in certain circumstances!

3. After reversing, and having carplay connected, once you switch to drive (or a different gear, needs to be confirmed) carplay will go full screen. I haven't found a work around on this one yet, a nice to have would be having an option to choose which screen to default to.

4. When cold starting vehicle, defaault page displayed on UC5 will be the apps screen. I still haven't found a work around for this, a nice to have would be a menu setting to choose default screen.

For the above it was experienced on a '22 RAM GT, UC5 with a 12 inch screen. 23.13-prod is the current I have as of this post

nitmik

Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't read through the whole thread yet, just the first post and a few of the more recent ones, however I felt compelled to share the quirks I have experienced so far with UC5 and any fixes I have used to remediated those issues.

1. The performance gauges widget on the home screen will be slow to update, or will stop updating all together. I found that having multiples of this widget on different pages will cause this, remove all duplicate widgets on other pages, and it will function normal again.

2. Apple carplay will stop working wirelessly, and will only work wired. I saw the excerpt on the first post, and I wanted to add that restarting the phone will also fix this in certain circumstances!

3. After reversing, and having carplay connected, once you switch to drive (or a different gear, needs to be confirmed) carplay will go full screen. I haven't found a work around on this one yet, a nice to have would be having an option to choose which screen to default to.

4. When cold starting vehicle, defaault page displayed on UC5 will be the apps screen. I still haven't found a work around for this, a nice to have would be a menu setting to choose default screen.

For the above it was experienced on a '22 RAM GT, UC5 with a 12 inch screen. 23.13-prod is the current I have as of this post
I am not sure why, but number 4 bugs the crap out. It should start at your last screen or home screen. Such a basic thing that should be fixed.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
Lots of simple bugs in the Uconnect 5 system. I just tried to use my AUX port between the two USB ports and it wont even recognize anything is connected. I finally gave up trying to get the UConnect Screen to auto dim at night and as one posted stated when you roll the dial up past the indent the interior lights do not come on, but the UConnect screen will brighten.

Users who are viewing this thread