5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5 is much better but…

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
maybe cause the headquaters of Stellantis is in Europe. I at least have a qwerty layout but you can probably adjust it in the settings

Thanks Liquid Li0n: I was able to locate the QWERTY Keyboard deep in the settings. Seems the Factory would default the setting to QWERTY given the units are being build for USA consumers.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
Update! RAM Cares ask me to PM the problems I was having with my UConnect5 and they would help figure it out. So! I sent them a nice long explanation of the problems I was having. They sent me Step by Step instructions on how to access the Build Date which is considered the Software Update. Their step by step directions were off by two steps but I figured it out on my own.

They replied "You have the latest update" The next update will be out later in Oct. I already knew I had the latest update thanks to the Members on this Forum.

So! Thinking since how only the two rear TPMS were not functioning properly, I took my truck to the dealership and explained my problem.

2 1/2 hours later (I'm thinking they are removing the two rear tires and replacing the TPMS) the mechanic pulls my truck out of the bay to park it on the lot. I walk out to the lot to meet him and asked if they found the problem. He stated YES! the two rear tires were low and he inflated them to 65 psi and also increased the front to 60psi.

I explained I no longer have factory tires and that I set the TPMS to adjust from 60/65psi factory to 55psi all the way around because it provides for better tire wear as well as a smoother ride. I'm not currently pulling a trailer. As a note! I purchased the aftermarket tires from this same dealership and they set my UConnect5 System at 55psi all the way around.

He states you cant do that! I state yes you can and proceed to show him how to program the UConnect5 system to to allow the change how the system monitors the psi.

When I start the truck I immediately see Engine Oil Life 100% which makes we question if the UConnect5 System has altered this function as well. The mechanic states No! I always leave the system on that screen when I change the oil so the customer knows.

I stated I didn't ask for an oil change because I still had about 70% left on the previous oil change. He showed me the work order, it stated change oil, rotate tires and check tire air pressure.

Needless to say I wasted 3 hours at a dealership trying to get the UConnect5 system checked. I asked if someone could use their tool to check if the monitors in the tires were working correctly and they had no idea what I was talking about. I ask if anyone knew how to program the UConnect5 System to adjust for the correct tire pressure? They stated there was one guy who may know but he was off and would be back tomorrow.

The Negative to this story is I still have the same problem. The dealership was going to do some checking and return my call, still haven't heard from them and don't expect I will because NO ONE returns phone calls these days.

The positive to the end of this story was I didn't have to pay for the Oil Change or Tire Rotation. They also offered me an additional Free Oil Change courtesy of the Shop Manager.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
Update to my UConnect5 TPMS PROBLEM!! As I mentioned earlier, dealer refused to contact me with updates as they promised. Ram Cares "NOT" also stated a new software update was due out by the end of Oct. "NOT"! At least not for my VIN#

Therefore I chose to drive to the nearest Ram Dealership once again requesting information regarding why a $65K 2022 Truck still doesn't operate properly and the 2023 are churning down the assemble line.

Service Tech showed me a piece of paper with directions regarding the Selectable Tire Fill Alert System with a Note: The Tire Fill Alert System disables each time the ignition is placed in the off position. The feature must be re-enabled through the radio each time the ignition is placed back in the Run position.

I know for a fact I did not have to re-enable this system each time I started my truck and the information applied stayed in memory from Jan 2022-Sept 2022 through hundreds of ignition cycles.

So! Seems the software was working properly for 9 months and now "NO LONGER WORKS"!!!!

The TPMS was mandated by the US Government several years back due to Safety Issues and all manufactures were required to add this system to their vehicles in order to sell these vehicles in the United States.

What this tells me, is, RAM is "NOT" meeting US Government Mandates and eventually enough people will die in automobile crashes due to the system malfunctioning and several million dollars later RAM will pay the few thousand dollars to have the Software folks fix the problem.

RAM CARES!! Talk to me!!! I know you are monitoring this forum.....

Attachments

• IMG_2334.jpg
    IMG_2334.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 29

TDHawks

Reaction score
Question on wireless CarPlay. Sorry if this was discussed within the 13 pages as I didn't read them all.

When my phone is connected wirelessly, each time I tap an app (twitter, fb, instagram, weather, etc), the CarPlay stops the audio and switches to the audio of the app. It's annoying. Is this normal? How do I go about not having the audio cutout every time I tap an app? Do I simply disconnect CarPlay and just connect it via wire instead?

Thanks.

WorthFlorida

Reaction score
I think you are confused. TPMS and Tire Fill Alert are two different systems. The TPMS is active all the time. It has nothing to do with the "Tire Fill Alert" feature which is for filling a tire after a warning has been established. With it off at the screen, let air out of one tire below the low pressure alert setting. Then drive it a bit to trigger a tire pressure warning. Once a warning has been established, the "Tire Fill Alert" when active uses the TPMS signal.

I have a 2021 Laramie (UConnect 4) and today was the second time I tried using the Tire Fill Alert. Doesn't work as well as it should. On the screen it is always "active" but as I read on other post, the UConnect screen reads "Assist". The fill alert only seems to work if an alert was sent because of one tire being below 30PSI and only alerts for that one tire. This morning the temps dropped to 57º in Central Florida. yesterday It was 83º. My truck did signal that the tire reached the correct pressure. I checked and my gauge and the screen both read 38 PSI. It should be 36. I did a rear tire that was at 32/ Low pressure is below 30PSI. I filled it and nothing happen. The screen read 39 PSI. With a gauge I set all tires to 36PSI.

The 2021 manual reads that the "hazard lights" will be on when the "Tire Fill Assist is active"? What hazard lights?

I'm find discrepancies all the time in most instruction or owners manuals. Writers for these manual's are usually not engineers, software developers nor mechanics. They read the specifications from the first released specification requirements. As things are developed small changes occurs and at times the writers are not aware of them. Once the final draft is completed, the product may not be reviewed by engineering or software development. In your case something changed to deactivate the feature and since it is used only to fill a tire, there could have been a software change or an over site (error).

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
I think you are confused. TPMS and Tire Fill Alert are two different systems. The TPMS is active all the time. It has nothing to do with the "Tire Fill Alert" feature which is for filling a tire after a warning has been established. With it off at the screen, let air out of one tire below the low pressure alert setting. Then drive it a bit to trigger a tire pressure warning. Once a warning has been established, the "Tire Fill Alert" when active uses the TPMS signal.

I have a 2021 Laramie (UConnect 4) and today was the second time I tried using the Tire Fill Alert. Doesn't work as well as it should. On the screen it is always "active" but as I read on other post, the UConnect screen reads "Assist". The fill alert only seems to work if an alert was sent because of one tire being below 30PSI and only alerts for that one tire. This morning the temps dropped to 57º in Central Florida. yesterday It was 83º. My truck did signal that the tire reached the correct pressure. I checked and my gauge and the screen both read 38 PSI. It should be 36. I did a rear tire that was at 32/ Low pressure is below 30PSI. I filled it and nothing happen. The screen read 39 PSI. With a gauge I set all tires to 36PSI.

The 2021 manual reads that the "hazard lights" will be on when the "Tire Fill Assist is active"? What hazard lights?

I'm find discrepancies all the time in most instruction or owners manuals. Writers for these manual's are usually not engineers, software developers nor mechanics. They read the specifications from the first released specification requirements. As things are developed small changes occurs and at times the writers are not aware of them. Once the final draft is completed, the product may not be reviewed by engineering or software development. In your case something changed to deactivate the feature and since it is used only to fill a tire, there could have been a software change or an over site (error).
Yes! I understand the difference between TPMS and Tire Fill Alert. I also understand STPMS (Select Tire Pressure Monitor System) and believe this was an added feature with the new UConnect5 System. (Not sure if it was available on UConnect4).

With the UConnect5 System I can select the Tire Pressure (STPMS) I wish to run in my tires. (In my case I took the factory tires/wheels off and replaced them with a different set up) Instead of running factory 60psi Front and 65psi Rear I choose to run 55psi all the way around because I don't usually carry a load and want a smoother ride.

I never go by tire pressures on the nomenclature plate attached to the Door Frame (or other location) because different tire manufactures require different amounts of air in their tires based on the way the tire is built and their handling characteristics, IE, 6Ply, 8Py, 10Ply, etc. Its always safer to go by the psi rating on the side of the tire and you also get the best tire wear by not over or under inflating. Hint! Look up Tire Pressure Chalk Test on the internet. It shows you how to get the perfect tire pressure for the tire once mounted on your truck to get the best tire wear.

As I understand where the hazard lights come in to play, when you are in the "Tire Fill Alert" function, as you inflate a tire the "Hazard Lights" begin flashing once the tire reaches the selected psi. On the UConnect 5 System your horn will chirp twice to notify you have reached the selected psi for that tire. If I recall the "Hazard Lights" flash as well.

My system worked flawlessly for 10 months so I'm sure the software programmers fixed one bug and didn't test the system to see if it broke another area. We are essentially the Beta Testers for Chrysler.

It's also sad to hear they've never worked out the bugs in the UConnect4 System which tells me UConnect5 will be just as buggy as UConnect4. When you pay $65-$100K for a truck it should work flawlessly.

Many manufactures are adding functions to their monitoring systems that will only work if you have a monthly paid subscription. I'm sure Chrysler is monitoring the importance of each function so as to understand what features are most important to their customers so they can eventually charge a monthly fee for those features. Trust me! It's on the horizon.......

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes! I understand the difference between TPMS and Tire Fill Alert. I also understand STPMS (Select Tire Pressure Monitor System) and believe this was an added feature with the new UConnect5 System. (Not sure if it was available on UConnect4).

With the UConnect5 System I can select the Tire Pressure (STPMS) I wish to run in my tires. (In my case I took the factory tires/wheels off and replaced them with a different set up) Instead of running factory 60psi Front and 65psi Rear I choose to run 55psi all the way around because I don't usually carry a load and want a smoother ride.

I never go by tire pressures on the nomenclature plate attached to the Door Frame (or other location) because different tire manufactures require different amounts of air in their tires based on the way the tire is built and their handling characteristics, IE, 6Ply, 8Py, 10Ply, etc. Its always safer to go by the psi rating on the side of the tire and you also get the best tire wear by not over or under inflating. Hint! Look up Tire Pressure Chalk Test on the internet. It shows you how to get the perfect tire pressure for the tire once mounted on your truck to get the best tire wear.

As I understand where the hazard lights come in to play, when you are in the "Tire Fill Alert" function, as you inflate a tire the "Hazard Lights" begin flashing once the tire reaches the selected psi. On the UConnect 5 System your horn will chirp twice to notify you have reached the selected psi for that tire. If I recall the "Hazard Lights" flash as well.

My system worked flawlessly for 10 months so I'm sure the software programmers fixed one bug and didn't test the system to see if it broke another area. We are essentially the Beta Testers for Chrysler.

It's also sad to hear they've never worked out the bugs in the UConnect4 System which tells me UConnect5 will be just as buggy as UConnect4. When you pay $65-$100K for a truck it should work flawlessly.

Many manufactures are adding functions to their monitoring systems that will only work if you have a monthly paid subscription. I'm sure Chrysler is monitoring the importance of each function so as to understand what features are most important to their customers so they can eventually charge a monthly fee for those features. Trust me! It's on the horizon.......
Maybe you’d have better luck on the HD forums, I haven’t seen the selectable tire pressure setting on my 1500 uconnect 5 system.

I could be wrong, but the tire fill alert system resetting every ignition cycle makes sense as the tpms sensors go to sleep when the truck hasn’t been moving and sometimes take some time to wake up once the truck moves.

I can confirm that the tire fill alert system and tpms work perfectly on my 2022, had to add air recently and the truck let me know when the tire was full.

Last edited:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question on wireless CarPlay. Sorry if this was discussed within the 13 pages as I didn't read them all.

When my phone is connected wirelessly, each time I tap an app (twitter, fb, instagram, weather, etc), the CarPlay stops the audio and switches to the audio of the app. It's annoying. Is this normal? How do I go about not having the audio cutout every time I tap an app? Do I simply disconnect CarPlay and just connect it via wire instead?

Thanks.
I don’t think there is a way to mute a specific phone app through the uconnect system, if a social media app is opened and a .gif or something starts playing even if it doesn’t have sound it will stop whatever is playing through CarPlay.

You might be able to put the phone into silent mode, but then you’ll also silence messages and calls.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
Maybe you’d have better luck on the HD forums, I haven’t seen the selectable tire pressure setting on my 1500 uconnect 5 system.

I could be wrong, but the tire fill alert system resetting every ignition cycle makes sense as the tpms sensors go to sleep when the truck hasn’t been moving and sometimes take some time to wake up once the truck moves.

I can confirm that the tire fill alert system and tpms work perfectly on my 2022, had to add air recently and the truck let me know when the tire was full.
The question can't be answered on the HD Forum either. I wouldn't think there was a difference in the UConnect5 for the 1500 vs 2500 trucks, but I have a 2500 and I can assure you there is an App where you can change the factory default psi on a 2500 Big Horn. It's hidden and not easily accessible . A Tech Service Advisor at the dealership where I purchased my truck as well as my aftermarket tires showed me how to access these settings and set the new aftermarket tires to their factory psi specifications.

GMetal

Reaction score

Thanks.
I think this is normal. CarPlay is an App through Apple. When opening other apps they no longer allow the other app to play in the background. Connecting it via cable bypasses the wifi or bluetooth connection.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
RAM Cares says there is a S26.17 UConnect5 Update. I'm showing S24.13 as the latest OTA Update on Nov 18th, 2022.

Has anyone seen a S25 or S26 update?

Anyone know what these updates fix?

nitmik

Reaction score
Says the update is expected on the 25th? Has anyone received the update?

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
Anyone know how to get rid of the obnoxious Sirus XM Radio popup other than having to press the red "X" to get to more important items on your UConnect5 screen like your favorite music or Apple Carplay or Navigation? Everytime I have to cycle the ignition I have to delete this icon in order to get to my music or other Apps.

Sirus is another music outlet I refuse to purchase because they are trying to force people to purchase their products through extortion because they will force you to deal with their logo daily unless you buy their product.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know how to get rid of the obnoxious Sirus XM Radio popup other than having to press the red "X" to get to more important items on your UConnect5 screen like your favorite music or Apple Carplay or Navigation? Everytime I have to cycle the ignition I have to delete this icon in order to get to my music or other Apps.

Sirus is another music outlet I refuse to purchase because they are trying to force people to purchase their products through extortion because they will force you to deal with their logo daily unless you buy their product.
If it’s for the listen for free for this month pop up, just hit ok instead of closing it and it won’t pop up again. It’s just letting you know that you can listen for free. You don’t actually have to listen to it.

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
If it’s for the listen for free for this month pop up, just hit ok instead of closing it and it won’t pop up again. It’s just letting you know that you can listen for free. You don’t actually have to listen to it.
Thanks! I'll give that a try but I'm well past my 6 months listen for free. I never listened to it from the beginning.

It's the Listen for Free through 12/3. I hit OK and its gives me some limited stations (none of which I'm interested) Now to see what happens after 12/3.

Last edited:

clotagames

Reaction score
The question can't be answered on the HD Forum either. I wouldn't think there was a difference in the UConnect5 for the 1500 vs 2500 trucks, but I have a 2500 and I can assure you there is an App where you can change the factory default psi on a 2500 Big Horn. It's hidden and not easily accessible . A Tech Service Advisor at the dealership where I purchased my truck as well as my aftermarket tires showed me how to access these settings and set the new aftermarket tires to their factory psi specifications.
Could you please reveal where the ability to change tpms level on 2500’s with Uconnect 5 is located?

ScubaZ66

Reaction score
Could you please reveal where the ability to change tpms level on 2500’s with Uconnect 5 is located?
I sure will once I get home where my truck is located. I can't remember by heart how to get to these settings. Right now I'm taking care of a family emergency in another state.

UPDATE! How to get to the Selectable Tire Fill Alert to change PSI for all four tires.

Navigate to Vehicle Settings, then Safety & Driving Assist. Highlight The Tire Fill Assist Radio Button. Click on APPS, ALL, then Navigate to Select Tire Fill Assist App. Click on the App then use the +/- buttons to add or reduce tire psi for both Front/Rear tires as desired. Select Apply & Save Presets. Mine are set to 55psi all the way around. IMG_2387.jpg IMG_2388.jpg IMG_2389.jpg

Last edited:

yakbait

Reaction score
RAM Cares says there is a S26.17 UConnect5 Update. I'm showing S24.13 as the latest OTA Update on Nov 18th, 2022.

Has anyone seen a S25 or S26 update?

Anyone know what these updates fix?
I just picked up my 2022 Limited yesterday... best I can tell, it was one of the last off the line. Anyway, it came with S26.15. So far, everything seems to be working just fine.

While we're on the subject though, I'm curious to know when (or what update) will include the Emergency Vehicle Alert System (EVAS). From what I've read, all UConnect5's will receive this feature at some point, but haven't seen any other information.

Users who are viewing this thread