5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB #24-001-20 A/C Fix. Has anyone had it done yet? Plus are you happy with the results?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Got my truck back after they re-charged the system.
Left side reading 46-48 degrees
Right side reading 40-42 degrees

Weird, just weird. And that's after... Oh well, at least the temps are down (likely anyway).

The Critic

Reaction score
The currently open work order on my truck has the following statement for the A/C issue:

"Customer states A/C has poor performance. States on warm days takes too long for A/C to blow cold. Please check and advise. (TSB 24-001-20 may pertain to concern per customer)"
My truck received the repair yesterday. It took 9 days for the parts to arrive, but once the parts arrived, the repair was completed same day. The job was decent. Only damages I noticed were a slight chip/dent on the center console in an area that is not really noticeable and a section of the driver door seal being manipulated.

The A/C did seem to get cold more quickly than I previously recalled and the vent temp was fairly cold, but weather is in the 70's all week. So, I'll have to re-test once we have a heat wave.

Attachments

• 94CDBCD5-35E1-4CC8-8FE5-125DFDF9ACB7.jpeg
    94CDBCD5-35E1-4CC8-8FE5-125DFDF9ACB7.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

ac1dd

Reaction score
Finally got around to testing my vent temps. We have not had any warm weather since having the TSB done.. yesterday was only around 70 or so, but anyway..

49 drivers side, 44 passenger

Not very impressive.
That's why I wonder if some of these dealers are actually doing the entire job...it almost seems like they did NOT replace the heater box assembly. I'm sure that if the ENTIRE process ordered by the TSB isn't completed you won't get the proper results.

I've worked at dealerships and it was common to ignore things when they weren't safety related if they could cut corners and still get paid.

FOLKS NEED TO START ASKING TO SEE THE PARTS THAT WERE REMOVED FOR REPLACEMENT BY THE UPDATED PARTS! If they can't show you these things it is a good bet they were never replaced at all!

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's why I wonder if some of these dealers are actually doing the entire job...it almost seems like they did NOT replace the heater box assembly. I'm sure that if the ENTIRE process ordered by the TSB isn't completed you won't get the proper results.

I've worked at dealerships and it was common to ignore things when they weren't safety related if they could cut corners and still get paid.

FOLKS NEED TO START ASKING TO SEE THE PARTS THAT WERE REMOVED FOR REPLACEMENT BY THE UPDATED PARTS! If they can't show you these things it is a good bet they were never replaced at

FOLKS NEED TO START ASKING TO SEE THE PARTS THAT WERE REMOVED FOR REPLACEMENT BY THE UPDATED PARTS! If they can't show you these things it is a good bet they were never replaced at all!
I’m sure that happens sometimes.
That said, I’m confident that the TSB was performed on my truck. I just think that the HVAC system, at least on the early builds, is flawed to the point that performing the TSB isn’t adequate enough to bring it up to the standards that we expect from a modern vehicle.

That’s my experience anyway. It got to around 80 yesterday and I was underwhelmed by the performance of the AC. It is slightly better.. that’s about it.

NGEN

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Well I can tell you that the dealer is replacing the heater box on mine as they have ordered two of them, both arriving damaged. I am going on my 3rd week without my truck, waiting for parts. Apparently, another one is supposed to arrive tomorrow but we will see. My case manager contacted me and said they can't order another one until Friday due to part restriction but we will see. At this point, it's getting pretty ridiculous. @RamCares I want my truck back!

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
Well I can tell you that the dealer is replacing the heater box on mine as they have ordered two of them, both arriving damaged. I am going on my 3rd week without my truck, waiting for parts. Apparently, another one is supposed to arrive tomorrow but we will see. My case manager contacted me and said they can't order another one until Friday due to part restriction but we will see. At this point, it's getting pretty ridiculous. @RamCares I want my truck back!
Just curious, are you not allowed to keep your truck until all parts arrive? Why would they have to hold it there

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got around to testing my vent temps. We have not had any warm weather since having the TSB done.. yesterday was only around 70 or so, but anyway..

49 drivers side, 44 passenger

Not very impressive.
Update:
The temps hit ~ 80 today, not blazing hot, but warm enough to make the cabin pretty hot when I went out for lunch today. I have to say, it actually cooled down fairly quickly. I didn’t have a thermometer on me but it definitely felt reasonably cool, reasonably quick.

When I tested the vent temps the other week, it was with the truck idling in park. I can definitely notice a huge difference in the AC whilst the truck is driving versus idling (of course).

It almost felt adequate. It’s still not going to win any awards, but perhaps it was worth having the TSB done after all.

RamCares

Reaction score

We are sorry to hear about these part complications, definitely sounds frustrating. Please feel free to private message our team with some additional details and we'll see what we can do!

Hannah
Ram Cares

Scram1500

Reaction score
Performed the DIY solution Sunday morning, quick and easy. Still need to check the vent temps with a thermometer (valve open vs. closed) but it was a noticeable improvement. There aren't many glowing reviews on the TSB otherwise I would have gone that route
IMG_20210516_101628~2.jpg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Performed the DIY solution Sunday morning, quick and easy. Still need to check the vent temps with a thermometer (valve open vs. closed) but it was a noticeable improvement. There aren't many glowing reviews on the TSB otherwise I would have gone that route
View attachment 93767
Nicely done. Did you DIY or purchase a kit?

dbrown300

Reaction score
Update: Low 80s outside temp. Across all vents, the temperatures were within 3 degrees from each other. From far-left Driver Vent to far-right Passenger Vent > 46 - 48 - 45 - 47. Compared to what I had before the fix I'm satisfied so far.

Last edited:

NGEN

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
3rd times a charm! Heater box came in and it isn’t broken! Yay! I’m being told Thursday the truck should be ready. Trying to remember what my truck even looks like....

19 North

Reaction score
I’m trying out the clamp on the heater hose. Outside temp was 72*... on max ac I had 40-41* across all vents. With reciculation off I have 40-46* depending on if the compressor is running.
With no clamp 52* left of center stack,43* right side of stack,46-48* on the ends.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m trying out the clamp on the heater hose. Outside temp was 72*... on max ac I had 40-41* across all vents. With reciculation off I have 40-46* depending on if the compressor is running.
With no clamp 52* left of center stack,43* right side of stack,46-48* on the ends.
What kind of clamp are you using?

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Looks like I'll be booking an appointment to get this TSB done. It got into the mid 80s today so I took measurements between the driver & passenger vents. Not only is there an 8 degree difference (51F vs 43F) with the AC set to max, but the air blowing on my face didn't even get close being too cold. Fingers crossed.

Users who are viewing this thread