5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TSB #24-001-20 A/C Fix. Has anyone had it done yet? Plus are you happy with the results?

19 North

Reaction score
I see. I’m guessing this is ok as a temporary fix or trial run. Looks like it did help your AC tho
With the trade in value so high right now I’ve been trying to work a deal to trade up, but the dealers are as stubborn as I am. I’ll put a shut off valve on in a few weeks if I can’t work a deal on something.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the trade in value so high right now I’ve been trying to work a deal to trade up, but the dealers are as stubborn as I am. I’ll put a shut off valve on in a few weeks if I can’t work a deal on something.
With incentives drying up along with inventory it doesn't leave much wiggle room besides trade-in value.

NGEN

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Ok I just picked up the truck and I definitely feel a difference with the amount of air coming through the vents. Still not as good as other vehicles (my 500 Abarth blows way harder...) and it definitely felt colder. However, it's only 80 degrees right now and cloudy so the true test will be when it gets hotter out. I'm just glad to have the truck back after almost 3 weeks.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
full cold....on recirq...fan speed set to three...then take temps....
Re-took the temps today with your suggested settings. Even though it was about 5 - 7 degrees cooler, got the same results. I'll redo them again when the temps get up to at least the mid 80s.

Regardless, I've already booked my appointment for Wed. because if I can take the AC blowing in my face set for at least 30 min. at it's max cold settings & highest fan speed without it bothering me, there is definitely something wrong that needs to be fixed.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok I just picked up the truck and I definitely feel a difference with the amount of air coming through the vents. Still not as good as other vehicles (my 500 Abarth blows way harder...) and it definitely felt colder. However, it's only 80 degrees right now and cloudy so the true test will be when it gets hotter out. I'm just glad to have the truck back after almost 3 weeks.

How was the rest of the experience at Autonation? Truck put back together right? No squeaks, rattles, broken trim?
I've been holding off booking to see how you fared.

NGEN

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
How was the rest of the experience at Autonation? Truck put back together right? No squeaks, rattles, broken trim?
I've been holding off booking to see how you fared.

No rattles and everything that I can see was put back in place. The temperature outside reached 90 degrees yesterday and I could tell a noticeable difference in the amount of air flow (better) and the AC was noticeably colder.

Before the TSB was performed, Max A/C flow was pretty pathetic. Now, what used to be the flow of Max A/C is now the speed of about in the middle. Max A/C now flows out of the vents much better. Temperature was also much better overall.

I will say that Autonation was not aware of the TSB until I gave it to them. When the technician finally was able to get to the truck (10 days after dropping it off), the notes state the technician did confirm it took too long to cool and the airflow was not up to standards.

The only negative as of now is just how long it took. I let my advisor know to get ready as a bunch more are going to be coming to get this done. If you are in Houston, I would suggest getting it done ASAP. Each dealer is limited to only being able to order 2 of the updated Heater Boxes a week. The original 2 that they ordered arrived broken so they had to utilize another autonation dealer to order another heater box so they could complete the job.

I bet come July/August, there is going to be a massive waiting list to get this done.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Re-took the temps today with your suggested settings. Even though it was about 5 - 7 degrees cooler, got the same results. I'll redo them again when the temps get up to at least the mid 80s.

Regardless, I've already booked my appointment for Wed. because if I can take the AC blowing in my face set for at least 30 min. at it's max cold settings & highest fan speed without it bothering me, there is definitely something wrong that needs to be fixed.
The DT service manual reads as follows:

1. Operate the HVAC system under the following conditions.

• Engine at 1,000 rpm at operating temperature
    • Door and windows closed
    • Transmission in PARK or NEUTRAL with parking brake set (depending on transmission application)
    • A/C heater controls set to recirculation mode (MAX A/C), full cool, panel mode, high blower and with A/C compressor engaged. If the A/C compressor does not engage, see the A/C System Diagnosis table.
  2. Insert a thermometer in the driver side center panel air outlet and operate the A/C system until the thermometer temperature stabilizes.
Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 050957 miles.

hellmans

Reaction score
think about it.......higher fan speed = warmer temps..........slower fan speed = colder temps......................hot soaked vehicle must be exhausted of hot stale air by first ,full cold..high speed,outside air(not recirq).window open....then lower fan speed use recirq=lowest temps...............................general public just needs trained on proper operation

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
... general public just needs trained on proper operation
Sorry, but are you trying to be funny?

There is a problem with the HVAC system on the 5th gen Rams. If there wasn't this TSB wouldn't exist. Pretty sure that in my 40 yrs of driving, I've mastered how to work the AC properly. :cool:

In all the vehicles I've owned, never have I ever had one that I could tolerate MAX AC/Lowest temp blowing directly on my face and that includes my 2011 Durango which until my Ram was the weakest performing AC.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
think about it.......higher fan speed = warmer temps..........slower fan speed = colder temps......................hot soaked vehicle must be exhausted of hot stale air by first ,full cold..high speed,outside air(not recirq).window open....then lower fan speed use recirq=lowest temps...............................general public just needs trained on proper operation
Technically it's the same temp to start with. Faster fan speeds don't allow as much time for heat transfer so temps entering the cab will be warmer but will circulate the cab better so there's a trade-off.

I am aware of how to maximize efficiency but If I have to do a special procedure just to make it work then something's not right to begin with.

I'm not hip to re-breathing the same air for the entire drive. If it's dusty out or I'm stuck behind a smoker with their window down and flicking their ashes out the window I'll go on recirc until it's over otherwise I'm bringing in fresh air.

Everybody's tolerance is different so what is acceptable to some is not for others. I live in a sunny area and my A/C struggles to keep up for anything over 75F if the sun is out (on any setting).

I'm not sure what the industry "standard" is but that's not 'good enough' at any price point.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have to say, I am a summer loving guy that really loves his AC in the humid Northern VA area. I was a little worried when I ordered my Ram and was reading about all the AC problems.

Glad to say my 2021 is cold. I had to redirectit away from blowing on my hand as my fingers started to hurt.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update:
The temps hit ~ 80 today, not blazing hot, but warm enough to make the cabin pretty hot when I went out for lunch today. I have to say, it actually cooled down fairly quickly. I didn’t have a thermometer on me but it definitely felt reasonably cool, reasonably quick.

When I tested the vent temps the other week, it was with the truck idling in park. I can definitely notice a huge difference in the AC whilst the truck is driving versus idling (of course).

It almost felt adequate. It’s still not going to win any awards, but perhaps it was worth having the TSB done after all.

High 80’s outside, maintains mid-70’s inside. I can live with that. Still only getting ~49 driver center/ ~45 passenger center. However, it definitely cools down faster than it did pre-TSB. 7CCD20AE-A189-44C9-A9DC-6840B7F80F4A.jpeg 205D4963-C324-4310-AA69-F96F2E09B07C.jpeg

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't had the TSB done personally, but I am driving a new truck that doesn't need it. For reference, I have had 2019 and 2020 trucks where I was pretty unhappy with A/C performance requiring me to do the "A/C hack" with a hose clamp during the hot months. Happy to report the A/C in my 2021 is completely adequate and what I expect from a new vehicle, but I have not actually checked its temps (suppose I should do that for curiousity sake).

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what the tech tests, it's not a requirement for the TSB work to be performed. Period. We've been through this on the HDRams site as well.

Give the dealer a copy of the TSB with the below highlighted. If they balk, contact RamCares.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may experience the following:
• Poor Air conditioning system performance (Slow or excess time to cool down).
• HVAC is slow to cool, left center instrument panel outlet is warmer than right side instrument
panel outlets.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above, perform the Repair Procedure.

FWIW, My dealer, AN in Centennial, CO cut the 4x4 bezel surround (leather), messed up the carpet (made the hump by the pedal I asked them to correct worse), for the second time they touched it failed to tuck the passenger side A-pillar door seal properly, and overtightened the two top screws on the center stack to the point of pulling one of the inserts out of the plastic and deforming the plastic in the upper tray. On the A-pillar seal, the pillar cover/grab handle wasn't installed properly from the plant and when they fixed it as requested, they screwed up the door seal tuck. (n)

NGEN

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
To piggyback on other comments, I would recommend the following:

1. Schedule your appointment with your dealer.
2. Contact RamCares before your appointment! Let them know you plan on taking your truck in for the TSB and you want to make sure it is performed.
3. Print out 2 copies of the TSB. Give one to your advisor when you check in and leave the other one in clear site on your passenger seat so the technician sees it/has a copy. Highlight the part that talks about moving forward with the repair of customer has complaint.

Outside of Autonation Spring being WAY off on their time of completion (was told 3-4 days after appointment check in for them to actually look at it when it actually took 10 days!), they did a good job and did not give any hassle about doing it. I notice a difference in air flow from the vents as well as the actual temperature inside the cabin. RamCares also provided me with 3 complimentary oil change and tire rotations (I didn’t complain or cause a fuss, they simply did it because of how long it took so I appreciate that). Autonation also stepped in and is offering me a discount on getting my front windows tinted. So overall am happy with the results with the procedure, RamCares and Autonation Spring.

Main thing is be prepared when you go in. Have RamCares in your corner from the beginning and you will be just fine. I would recommend getting this done ASAP if you are due for it. Once the summer is here, this TSB will be harder to have performed as each dealer is only allowed to order 2 revised heater boxes a week.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

2. Contact RamCares before your appointment! Let them know you plan on taking your truck in for the TSB and you want to make sure it is performed.
3. Print out 2 copies of the TSB. Give one to your advisor when you check in and leave the other one in clear site on your passenger seat so the technician sees it/has a copy. Highlight the part that talks about moving forward with the repair of customer has complaint.

Outside of Autonation Spring being WAY off on their time of completion (was told 3-4 days after appointment check in for them to actually look at it when it actually took 10 days!), they did a good job and did not give any hassle about doing it. I notice a difference in air flow from the vents as well as the actual temperature inside the cabin. RamCares also provided me with 3 complimentary oil change and tire rotations (I didn’t complain or cause a fuss, they simply did it because of how long it took so I appreciate that). Autonation also stepped in and is offering me a discount on getting my front windows tinted. So overall am happy with the results with the procedure, RamCares and Autonation Spring.

Main thing is be prepared when you go in. Have RamCares in your corner from the beginning and you will be just fine. I would recommend getting this done ASAP if you are due for it. Once the summer is here, this TSB will be harder to have performed as each dealer is only allowed to order 2 revised heater boxes a week.

Ha! Scheduled the service this morning and next available appointment (with a loaner since they quoted 7 days to look at it) was June 29!

Ram seriously needs more dealers with larger service centers. Heck, at some point they are going to run out of room to store the trucks waiting to be looked at.

Awesome tips though - thanks!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Give the dealer a copy of the TSB with the below highlighted. If they balk, contact RamCares.

Did that twice with the same result...no repair.

The first time I called RAM Cares after the I got the truck back and the second time I opened my case before the truck went in. I also told them to open a STAR Case if they weren't going to do the repair (so they could talk directly with RAM Engineering) and that went nowhere also.

Both times the dealer said no and Stellantis Customer Care said they agreed with the dealer. I'm at 44K miles now (4 visits for poor A/C under basic warranty and 1 visit under my ESP) and do not have the time to visit each dealership and pay them $100 and hope they are the ones that tell me they'll do the TSB. I'll save that cash and roll it into some ceramic tint sometime this summer and move on with my life.

I saw a thread where someone was thanking RAM Cares for their help and support for their issue so there's at least one person they've helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online