5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX Steering Wheel Swap

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
also, does clone micro pod needs sgw bypass method, as it does not do a techauthority unlock, right? Is that the error maybe?

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm. Not sure. I’ve always used a bypass when using hptuners to flash; and also when using the j2534 passthru tool works with it in place as well. I think you’ll need a bypass because the clone micro pods only work offline I believe and can’t link them to techauthority online mode. I could be wrong. Maybe another micro pod user can chime in.

Do the other functions of the micro pod work as expected?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The pod seems to work.

My bypass module is already connected so the port i'm connecting to is bypassing the SGW.

I am able to scan codes and connect to almost every module and they all show good info like HVAC and stuff. I am able to trigger devices like the horn, wipers, locks, etc.

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Odb2 sensor essentially. Dealership tools. Kind of like an inline 7 for a Cummins. Does nothing without the proper software.
i see. do the coding processes for this mod require micropod or can be done with alfaobd?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
i see. do the coding processes for this mod require micropod or can be done with alfaobd?
Can't do it with just aftermarket stuff you need dealership things.
And I would 99.9% say I voided my warranty on my tranny by doing what I did with that said.

I only have 2 problems so far.
Unable to see what my drivetrain state is, and it only shows what gear I am in when in manual shifting mode
The truck also went to 76 degrees auto full on recirc, ac, and redefrost and I was unable to adjust it or turn it off until I turned off the cruise control, never saw that happen in the 13k of ownership miles but only once so far.
2023-05-24 10.26.40.jpg

This is it in manual mode (message goes away in a few seconds). HUD mirrors the dash, so no drivetrain, but shows gear in manual mode (never shows in drive though)
1685102130755.jpeg

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
oh wow. tcm flash looks to be successful. I wonder if there is now a bcm config incorrect or just a missing parameter in general from your bcm software? have you compared bcm logs from your truck against a GT truck at this point?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
oh wow. tcm flash looks to be successful. I wonder if there is now a bcm config incorrect or just a missing parameter in general from your bcm software? have you compared bcm logs from your truck against a GT truck at this point?
No I haven't had the time yet.
I also don't have anything from a GT log wise to compare it to.

I don't have shifters installed nor the wheel you sold me yet, but it works as expected with the + - buttons. Already used it in stop and go traffic so the truck didn't keep changing gears for no reason and much smoother.

I can live with not seeing the things at the bottom and HUD, but not ideal so I will look into it probably in 2 weeks and actually have a single weekend day free

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Couldn't do it without help from other folks here.
Still waiting for my paddles to come in :(

I wonder how much my OEM "wood grain" Limited steering wheel will sell soon since the 2023s no longer get it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Still waiting for my paddle shifters to ship, pretty annoying.

I was able to get my P-R-N-D to show up.
I have it 100% working on my instrument cluster, but on my HUD it only shows D-x and changes to M-x when shifting.
I'm good with this as I don't need my HUD to tell me I am in park, and I generally move my shifter by heart for the most part.

This is what I changed

Original: Shifter Type: 4 pos Rotary Eshifter PRND DS (RS4)
Changed to: Shifter Type: 5 pos Polystable Eshifter (PS5)

I tested the other 4 and 5 pos rotary eshifter settings but they did not work properly with inconsistent results.
Shifter Type: 5 pos Polystable Eshifter (PS5) is what is set on a Laramie and Rebel GT with their console shifter.

Forgive how terrible these pictures are but you can see it in Drive and then M
1686538128477.jpeg 1686538134348.jpeg

Not in drive the HUB is blank in the bottom right
1686538159794.jpeg

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks for sharing results. what TCM software version ended up working best?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Paddles finally came in. Unfortunately I can't find any screws that fit. It's a very course thread wood screws are too course and machine screws not enough. Also needs to be a rather short screw.

I will need to take the wheel (where the threads are) into a dealerships part's department (which aren't open on weekends) and pray to God. The last time they couldn't figgure what screws it needed using a TRX or GT vin.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Paddles finally came in. Unfortunately I can't find any screws that fit. It's a very course thread wood screws are too course and machine screws not enough. Also needs to be a rather short screw.

I will need to take the wheel (where the threads are) into a dealerships part's department (which aren't open on weekends) and pray to God. The last time they couldn't figgure what screws it needed using a TRX or GT vin.
Take it to a hardware store. Probably easier than trying to get the dealer to find you what you want. Can always use a grinder to shorten them if needed

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Take it to a hardware store. Probably easier than trying to get the dealer to find you what you want. Can always use a grinder to shorten them if needed
I can't find the proper thread is the problem. I have a grinder and should be able to shorten the screws if I can find 4 of em.
I even have one this thread checker kit https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B5R2KFXQ/ but they are all fine threads

I did consider taking it into a hardware store, but it's a god damn steering wheel LOL. There are no threads on the paddles.
TBH ill probably do it tomorrow and take my wife and or kids so I don't feel as crazy. No one pays attention to people at hardware stores with kids.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Shoot. I think I need to order more parts. I thout the gear selector buttons would come off but looks like they are attached.
Anyone know the part number for that entire piece without the gear selector buttons since they will not work anyways since they will be unplugged.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ok so I found some screws that work.
Home Depot had nada and I got these "chrome trim screws" that seem to fit as well as i'm going to get.
They go in half way then get kind of tight, but doesn't feel like it's cross threadings.

2023-06-25 13.20.45.jpg

These screws looked like they would thread also, but it wasn't a flat head and I was concerned about the length sticking out since it's pushing what is essentially a plastic cap from the paddles down.

2023-06-25 13.20.39.jpg

I do need a trim piece, the one for my Limited is not proper for the paddles, it has the gear limiter and if I remove it it's just a hole, and then i'm also missing a mounting section for the trim to the wheel.
2023-06-25 14.12.24.jpg 2023-06-25 14.12.30.jpg

It might be this, but no idea as the picture doesn't show the proper item
The other side is part of the trim so unless it there a part I can screw into the removed gear limit I would need the entire trim piece for a TRX.

Users who are viewing this thread