5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX Steering Wheel Swap

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going through the route of doing this without a console shifter.
Parts are on order...
please let me know how it goes and if there's any tips/ tricks you find along the way. planning to tackle this sometime after summer. Saving up for my trip to either Montana or PNW rightn ow

Njh3409

Reaction score
Reporting back the JL TCM at WOT will not up shift and just hits the rev limit. I figure the 392 has a slightly higher max RPM over the 5.7L. It doesn't bother me as if I let off the pedal it shifts but that means back to BSG only TCM with paddles shifters on the DT with normal shifting at WOT.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So it won't even uoshift with the paddles? That shouldn't matter with RPM as you should be able to short shift, even at WOT when using paddles.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think he's talking about when he isn't using the paddles?
When the paddles are enabled it's not suppose to upshift unless you hit the paddle. You could redline yourself if you wanted to, that's the whole point is control.

Njh3409

Reaction score
I think he's talking about when he isn't using the paddles?
When the paddles are enabled it's not suppose to upshift unless you hit the paddle. You could redline yourself if you wanted to, that's the whole point is control.
Yes sorry I was talking about when running in D drive posistion without the paddles enabled. The paddles will hold the gear to max RPM and give full control of the shift except for a down shift that would exceed max RPM and cause damage.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes sorry I was talking about when running in D drive posistion without the paddles enabled. The paddles will hold the gear to max RPM and give full control of the shift except for a down shift that would exceed max RPM and cause damage.
I think the problem is going to be doing this without a transmission tune.

I assume you don't have\use a tune?

My guy said to apply the stock tune then flash my TCM. Then apply a Diablo tune (assuming it works) and then I will log and he will see if my original tune can get adjusted and re-applied else he will make a new one based upon the TCM post-flash.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Technically, if they can get paddle shifters to function properly, the same thing can be done to make the gear limit switches work like manual shifters as well.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Technically, if they can get paddle shifters to function properly, the same thing can be done to make the gear limit switches work like manual shifters as well.
I mean they are just buttons so sure.
But how in the actual F do you expect to shift with the gear limiter buttons way down there.
I mean it's still better then a gear limiter but good luck hitting it while turning or without looking at it.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yes i thought about that part too when asking myself:
do i want to buy a TRX wheel or just see if anyone can code the gear limit switches.

But past weekend going through the canyon made me realized the location where gear limit switches are no bueno to perform paddle shifter tasks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I mean they are just buttons so sure.
But how in the actual F do you expect to shift with the gear limiter buttons way down there.
I mean it's still better then a gear limiter but good luck hitting it while turning or without looking at it.
I wouldnt be using them while turning.

Njh3409

Reaction score
I think the problem is going to be doing this without a transmission tune.

I assume you don't have\use a tune?

My guy said to apply the stock tune then flash my TCM. Then apply a Diablo tune (assuming it works) and then I will log and he will see if my original tune can get adjusted and re-applied else he will make a new one based upon the TCM post-flash.
Just using stock flash files no tunes.

Installed the old dial shifter again and adjusted the BCM setting accordingly.

Setting changed in the BCM. ( May need to be 2021 or newer. Confirmed working on 2022 and 2023 BCM's. )

Paddle Shift Feature Present: Yes
Paddles Lock-out Feature Present: Yes
Shifter Type: 4 pos Rotary Eshifter PRND DS (RS4) (Not needed if you always had the dial shifter)

The cluster may need to be a 2021 or newer to display paddle messages and current gear properly.

Steering wheel from a GT or TRX. Not sure if paddles can be retrofitted easily to other wheels.

TCM or TCM flash with paddle support from a stock Ram GT (BSG only), stock Wrangler 392 (WOT not up shifting issues) or maybe a custom tune??.

Last edited:

Gideon201

Reaction score
Does anyone know what screw size and thread I need to buy for the paddle shifters?
What do you mean for the paddle shifters? This is for the mounting to the wheel possibly?

If anyone wants information on the shifters, the manufacturer for the paddle shifters is Judco Manufacturing out of CA/MX and the wheel is made by Autoliv, who ships from a MX/TX location. These shifters are sent to Autoliv and installed by them and then sent to the Ram assembly plants.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What do you mean for the paddle shifters? This is for the mounting to the wheel possibly?

If anyone wants information on the shifters, the manufacturer for the paddle shifters is Judco Manufacturing out of CA/MX and the wheel is made by Autoliv, who ships from a MX/TX location. These shifters are sent to Autoliv and installed by them and then sent to the Ram assembly plants.
Yes I mean the the shifters to attach to the wheel.

I have a TRX wheel sitting in a box and i'm waiting for my paddles to come in and I will need 4 screws (or bolts?) and would like to get them prior so I can slap it in once they come in.

Gideon201

Reaction score
Yes I mean the the shifters to attach to the wheel.

I have a TRX wheel sitting in a box and i'm waiting for my paddles to come in and I will need 4 screws (or bolts?) and would like to get them prior so I can slap it in once they come in.
I just happen to have some of the test wheels at my desk and can pull them apart for you. There are 3 screws per side, both screws are T20. I dont have the threading as the switch is an end item to Autoliv and they provide the fasteners.

See images

Attachments

• PXL_20230515_203158179.jpg
    PXL_20230515_203158179.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20230515_203204326.jpg
    PXL_20230515_203204326.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20230515_203654696.jpg
    PXL_20230515_203654696.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just happen to have some of the test wheels at my desk and can pull them apart for you. There are 3 screws per side, both screws are T20. I dont have the threading as the switch is an end item to Autoliv and they provide the fasteners.

See images
Oh snaps I didn't realize there were 3 screws per side.

This is what I am waiting to arrive and I just saw the 2 holes in the wheel's mounting area. Guess ill need to see if it comes with screws (not likely)

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Got everything except the actual paddles.
I guess the paddles have a "20-35 day" time period before they even get shipped (from China?)
Funny how my Micropod actually from China came in first LOL.

I think I am going to try and flash my TCM and apply the settings to see if it works with my gear selector buttons while I wait for the paddles to come in to swap the wheel.
I wonder if it will work as I have the harness for the paddles which obviously is not in my current wheel (I think)

Paddle Shift Feature Present: Yes
Paddles Lock-out Feature Present: Yes

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well that's a negative on tonight try.
Put TCM back to stock but unable to flag to GT files or overwrite the original.
"Flash process failed - invalid DTD" of course Google doesn't show much, seems to be an incompatibility with the file and the version of my software maybe. Will try again tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread