5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX Steering Wheel Swap

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not gotten it to do actual autostick or sport shifting.. they basically do the same thing as the buttons now do.
I'm looking get my hands on a trx or gt truck that I can ride in for 10 minutes, and read some parameters in hptuners and see what shift maps are getting requested, etc.

I enabled all the bcm settings that would be on in like a gt/trx truck, and the paddles dont do anything at all. so either the bcm doesn't have the commands to send, OR my TCM does not recognize the commands.

unfortunately, I think my TCM might need to be changed. I dont see a lot of the autostick stuff that is viewable in a TCM from say like a grand Cherokee or a charger (even non-paddle equipped vehicles have autostick stuff), where-as mine does not.

I'll keep chugging at it, but next step I want to plug into a trx or gt truck with hptuners and do some logging.
sweet!
that answered part of my question: should enabling all the BCM settings work. Part of me hope swapping TCM does it and part of me hope not because it is very likely going to get very expensive lol
part of me hope if there's a way to write the commands in for a less costly solution, but part of me also hope it's TCM because i'm not good with computer stuff on vehicles.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
sweet!
that answered part of my question: should enabling all the BCM settings work. Part of me hope swapping TCM does it and part of me hope not because it is very likely going to get very expensive lol
part of me hope if there's a way to write the commands in for a less costly solution, but part of me also hope it's TCM because i'm not good with computer stuff on vehicles.
you can basically swap wheels and the paddles will do same as buttons. you don't have to touch any bcm settings. its plug and play, direct swap. But yeah, its just the gear limit functions.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you can basically swap wheels and the paddles will do same as buttons. you don't have to touch any bcm settings. its plug and play, direct swap. But yeah, its just the gear limit functions.
that's the function i don't need lol i need it to up and down shift when i want to and not go to the gear on its own. im holding it off until we find a way to make it work like proper floppy shifters

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
props to you for tackling this and be the first man to eat the crab.
Pretty sure you mean oyster. Or bearded clam, either one works. But not crab.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty sure you mean oyster. Or bearded clam, either one works. But not crab.
in my country where i grew up it's crab lolll we didn't have oyster back then and now it's still some exotic expensive food item :ROFLMAO:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
in my country where i grew up it's crab lolll we didn't have oyster back then and now it's still some exotic expensive food item :ROFLMAO:
Lol gotcha. Here, there’s a saying, “It was a brave man that ate the first oyster”.
I’ll let you google the bearded clam thing.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol gotcha. Here, there’s a saying, “It was a brave man that ate the first oyster”.
I’ll let you google the bearded clam thing.
hahahahaha i had a feeling about it before i googled.
and i was right :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Njh3409

Reaction score
sweet!
The paddle shift function is part of the TCM. That being said the only Ram option is the GT for the 8HP75 which is only available with BSG. The TCM comes 2wd or 4wd with BSG only. I currently have a non BSG transmission with the BSG TCM and the paddles work just like a GT with proper BCM setting but set a CEL for the missing electric pump on the valve body. Today I had the idea to install a Rubicon 392 TCM and it works well but this is only available in 4wd so without a t-case the CEL will be set. This is all running on my 2019 Ram with GT steering wheel and console swapped but I also have a 22 BCM installed so I am unable to verify if it works with the 19-20 BCM.

Daverous

Reaction score
The paddle shift function is part of the TCM. That being said the only Ram option is the GT for the 8HP75 which is only available with BSG. The TCM comes 2wd or 4wd with BSG only. I currently have a non BSG transmission with the BSG TCM and the paddles work just like a GT with proper BCM setting but set a CEL for the missing electric pump on the valve body. Today I had the idea to install a Rubicon 392 TCM and it works well but this is only available in 4wd so without a t-case the CEL will be set. This is all running on my 2019 Ram with GT steering wheel and console swapped but I also have a 22 BCM installed so I am unable to verify if it works with the 19-20 BCM.
How'd you manage to get the 22 bcm programmed for your 19? Every dealer I've tried declined to do it for any amount of money.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
do you need to have the center console shifter to make it work? i was hoping to retain my knob shifter and only add paddles and have the paddles work as they should.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
can you give some additional info on swapping a BSG TCM? did you do a new or used part, and what programing was required?

Njh3409

Reaction score
do you need to have the center console shifter to make it work? i was hoping to retain my knob shifter and only add paddles and have the paddles work as they should.
I have not tried without the console shifter but when I have time I will swap the dial control back in and give it a try.

Njh3409

Reaction score
How'd you manage to get the 22 bcm programmed for your 19? Every dealer I've tried declined to do it for any amount of money.
Witech will allow the dealer to program any BCM the is compatible. I had both a 22 and the newer 23 BCM both programmed with dealer tools. Restore car configuration and them a BCM replace procedure was all it took. The programming code was used for the BCM replaced part.

Daverous

Reaction score
Witech will allow the dealer to program any BCM the is compatible. I had both a 22 and the newer 23 BCM both programmed with dealer tools. Restore car configuration and them a BCM replace procedure was all it took. The programming code was used for the BCM replaced part.
Thanks. Guess the trick is finding a dealer that will do it then. Alas. I thought that was the case but can't find someone to do it.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have not tried without the console shifter but when I have time I will swap the dial control back in and give it a try.
thank you and please let me know how that works!
really appreciate it

Users who are viewing this thread