5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRX Steering Wheel Swap

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Even worse, you need the plastic trim in back.
I'm going to need to re-assemble my old wheel, it's not possible to install this TRX wheel without a bunch of other plastic parts, I somehow missed that tidbit.

Ok update! Finally installed TRX steering wheel. All controls work and paddle shifters work also. If you're installing a TRX steering wheel into a Ram with the shift buttons on the wheel, paddles will work.
View attachment 151300
Do you have part numbers for everything you used?
I have the TRX wheel, harness, and paddles but none of the other trim pieces fit.
2023-06-25 15.30.49.jpg 2023-06-25 15.32.06.jpg

2023-06-25 15.47.23.jpg
2023-06-25 15.34.25.jpg 2023-06-25 15.49.00.jpg

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is what my incorrect part number says for the "Steering Wheel Back Cover". This is what came on my 22 Limited. I can't even find it using any of the numbers on it, real useful Ram.
2023-06-25 15.31.26.jpg

Looks like this POSSIBLY could be the front bezel, but the picture is incorrect if it is and show this as a regular 1500 and not a TRX (you can tell becuase there is no part 4 on the TRX wheel, it will not fit and you need to put your media buttons into the paddle modules
Steering Wheel Bezel
7EY37TX7AA

1687726340090.png

I need to find what part #2 is for a TRX, I can only find it marked as compatible with Tradesman-Limited, not TRX so I assume it's the same one I have.
Part #7 I think is universal if you don't have the gear selectors as it's marked for everything from Tradesman-TRX

Gideon201

Reaction score
Man, this is a lot of work you are going through...remember I mentioned I work for the supplier that makes the OEM paddles and work with Autoliv who is the steering wheel supplier? Let me know if you have questions.

Part # for item 2 = 7CC652TRAA
Part # for item 7 = 641047180C ("upper bezel" DT FCA w/plating, not sure on actual color)

FYI - if you wanted to save money on the plastic shroud, you can cut the area around the paddle, this is the only difference between the two PXL_20230626_162902914.MP.jpg

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man, this is a lot of work you are going through...remember I mentioned I work for the supplier that makes the OEM paddles and work with Autoliv who is the steering wheel supplier? Let me know if you have questions.

Part # for item 2 = 7CC652TRAA
Part # for item 7 = 641047180C ("upper bezel" DT FCA w/plating, not sure on actual color)

FYI - if you wanted to save money on the plastic shroud, you can cut the area around the paddle, this is the only difference between the two View attachment 161603
i may hit you up when Darksteel got it to work lol

IndianaRam

Reaction score

Even worse, you need the plastic trim in back.
I'm going to need to re-assemble my old wheel, it's not possible to install this TRX wheel without a bunch of other plastic parts, I somehow missed that tidbit.

Do you have part numbers for everything you used?
I have the TRX wheel, harness, and paddles but none of the other trim pieces fit.
View attachment 161547
When I installed my TRX steering I bought a complete one-off E-bay. So, I did not have to switch over anything from my stock steering wheel.

Asahdev17

Reaction score
Can you list everything you had bought?
I think I may do it as well it looks sick. Did you have to hard wire anything or did the paddle shifters you have connect to anything on the original steering wheel? Would I have to buy a trx steering wheel? Or can I just drill a hole into the original steering wheel and put in a screw through there? And the plugs on the paddle shifters do you have to sawter or splice into anything?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I think I may do it as well it looks sick. Did you have to hard wire anything or did the paddle shifters you have connect to anything on the original steering wheel? Would I have to buy a trx steering wheel? Or can I just drill a hole into the original steering wheel and put in a screw through there? And the plugs on the paddle shifters do you have to sawter or splice into anything?
I would recommend you take the effort to read through some of the pages on this thread and come back if you have questions after that.
It's not plug and play you need to buy a bunch of stuff and even if you get all the physical parts in you need to change the software on your TCM to get it to shift else it's the same thing as the button selects, like someone told you in the other thread you made.

Asahdev17

Reaction score
my bighorn wheel did not have the threaded screw bosses to install the paddle shifters..the trx wheel has extra metal threaded bosses to install the paddles. also, the wire harness is slightly different.

that being said, you don't need to do anything in alfa. I installed a used TRX wheel in my bighorn, and it works fine.
*the paddles do the same function as your +/- buttons do now. I'm still working on getting a true sport/autostick function. but if you just want the gear limit, get a trx wheel and you're good to go.

do you care if its heated? might be interested in selling my non heated trx wheel.
How much bro For the wheel

Asahdev17

Reaction score
I would recommend you take the effort to read through some of the pages on this thread and come back if you have questions after that.
It's not plug and play you need to buy a bunch of stuff and even if you get all the physical parts in you need to change the software on your TCM to get it to shift else it's the same thing as the button selects, like someone told you in the other thread
I bought the the paddles and the rear mold of steering wheel
. It would just change the gear limiter?

Gideon201

Reaction score
@Darksteel165

How is your TRX wheel working? Have you seen any more issues or everything is good? Does the adaptive cruise work or did you have that option already?

I have 3 wheels here on my desk and was thinking about swapping out mine.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
@Darksteel165

How is your TRX wheel working? Have you seen any more issues or everything is good? Does the adaptive cruise work or did you have that option already?

I have 3 wheels here on my desk and was thinking about swapping out mine.
0 problems. Adaptive cruise control has nothing to do with the wheel, but I did already have it.
You swap the internal guys (buttons) to the new wheel. You will need trim pieces for it to fit properly though unless you don't install paddles.

Quietpeen

Reaction score
In a few weeks I will have a Level 2 TRX heated steering wheel core with gray stitching for sale. Included with the core will be the paddles and what's circled in the picture below.

1702495300019.png

This is what the Level 2 wheel looks like

Level 2 Steering Wheel.jpg

bigjeffg

Reaction score
Anyone swapped a TRX steering wheel onto a rebel yet? Part numbers? Would like to swap out for one with red stitching...
I have not, but I know someone who has a take off. He replaced his OEM with an aftermarket steering wheel. His has the red stitching and is heated. Let me know if you are interested. Send a PM, with contact info, and I will pass it along.

Users who are viewing this thread