5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tranny damage on 2 day old rebel

RJS

Reaction score
I suspect that the fluid level in a ZF tranny hasn't been check before delivery by any dealer since Ram went to them a number of years ago. It's not a simple "pull the dipstick" routine so don't blame the dealer for an incomplete inspection unless you find dirty carpets and other indications of lack of inspection.
Sorry about the trans issue however.

I just found this section in my manual..."Fluid Level Check — Eight-Speed Transmission
The fluid level is preset at the factory and does not require adjustment under normal operating conditions. Routine fluid level checks are not required, therefore the transmission has no dipstick. Your authorized dealer can check your transmission fluid level using special service tools.
If you notice fluid leakage or transmission malfunction, visit your authorized dealer immediately to have the transmission fluid level checked. Operating the vehicle with an improper fluid level can cause severe transmission damage."

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do you know how an auto trans works? You can easily band-aid that with a quickie rebuild and new fluid, the hard components aren't what typically fail.
I NEVER said I'd have no issues with a new truck that needs a trans, I said I wouldn't demand a new truck because that wasn't reasonable.
You work with/at dealerships so you KNOW? So the _ what, your above post is about how bad dealership people are , that doesn't make you credible, you're telling someone to demand a new truck over this issue. NO ONE, I repeat NOT ONE PERSON here would be happy with the situation but demanding a new truck is not the correct course of action. nor would it happen and if "reading" about buy backs makes you an expert, we're all experts.

My truck is a month old, a $65K Limited, if the trans went out on day two or tomorrow, my only demand would be a new trans and a comp'd or heavily discounted warranty, asking for a new truck would be foolish and unreasonable on my part, hows that for it being my truck or my money? I've had a new $15K engine fail in my Z06, I didn't throw a fit, pulled it and sent it back and said fix it., done.
Not one person has argued that buybacks don't happen, the argument was that THIS situation does NOT warrant that. RIF

Yes, I've rebuilt my own tranny before, and hard components fail all the time, especially with low fluid.

I'm not telling people to demand a new truck, I'm telling this guy due to his very specific situation (2 days after delivery) if he wants to do that (which he seems to do), that he has every right to do since I've seen in done many times for even less issues.

It's not your truck to determine if it's the correct choice of action or not. You aren't in his shoes, it's not your truck or your money. Neither is it mine, we are both giving our opinions to both sides of the coin in which he can choose to go with.

If someone can get a new truck 3 months in with body work issue, then this guy should be able to get the same thing with just 2 days on the clock and a new tranny if that's what he wants. Everyone was congratulating that guy for his results, so it seems like not everyone is against this happening. If he wants to ask for it and he gets it, what is it to you anyways? RIF

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stop, seriously.
This dosen't warrant buying back the vehicle and will not impact its value or reliability. I'd be more concerned about dealers with hail damaged cars that don't inform customers. A new trans ain't sh*t, wouldn't bother me one bit.
If you bought any other flagship product and spent >$50 on it and it catastophically destroyed itself so as to be unusable one your second day of ownership you would damn well be taking it back to to store for a refund or exchange.

BowDown

Reaction score
If you bought any other flagship product and spent >$50 on it and it catastophically destroyed itself so as to be unusable one your second day of ownership you would damn well be taking it back to to store for a refund or exchange.

Did the truck destroy itself or the trans?
Yeah I'd be pissed if the trans failed but asking or demanding a new truck is dumb, period.
Maybe you missed my comment about a new Z06 engine failing in 100 miles and me not throwing a tantrum over it

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did the truck destroy itself or the trans?
Yeah I'd be pissed if the trans failed but asking or demanding a new truck is dumb, period.
Maybe you missed my comment about a new Z06 engine failing in 100 miles and me not throwing a tantrum over it

Lets just say I'm not impressed with the reliability of the z06 engine either.... IMG_20200916_144415 - Copy.jpg

Calsun

Reaction score
It does point out the need to check the fluid levels for any new vehicle. The dealer prep person is supposed to do this but they put the least experienced individual on this job. My last truck has the ATF down by 1.4 quarts and the transmission takes 7.4 quarts. The kid lost count of how much he put in and did not check the dipstick. It may seem like a waste of time to do a fluids check when taking possession of a new car or truck but it can save a lot of grief down the road.

JohnnyBgoode

Reaction score
I’m so very disappointed with all the customer service I have gotten so far. Actually, I can’t say I have gotten any. Total of 2 calls from the rep handling my case (original assigned rep is on vacation) so backup rep handling. Only reason I got a second call is because I requested escalation to a supervisor, and somehow only my rep can do it so once it was noted on my account she called 15 mins later.
I would never wish this distress on my worst enemy. Yes I actually lost sleep over the whole thing so far.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It does point out the need to check the fluid levels for any new vehicle. The dealer prep person is supposed to do this but they put the least experienced individual on this job. My last truck has the ATF down by 1.4 quarts and the transmission takes 7.4 quarts. The kid lost count of how much he put in and did not check the dipstick. It may seem like a waste of time to do a fluids check when taking possession of a new car or truck but it can save a lot of grief down the road.
There's no transmission dipstick, so it's not something that's easy to check. It requires special equipment, and it's not something dealerships would normally do.

BilletLaramie57

Reaction score
I’m so very disappointed with all the customer service I have gotten so far. Actually, I can’t say I have gotten any. Total of 2 calls from the rep handling my case (original assigned rep is on vacation) so backup rep handling. Only reason I got a second call is because I requested escalation to a supervisor, and somehow only my rep can do it so once it was noted on my account she called 15 mins later.
I would never wish this distress on my worst enemy. Yes I actually lost sleep over the whole thing so far.

This pisses me off. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this to this terrible extent.

nburd

Reaction score
Are you still down without a truck? It hopefully is an expedited repair.

BowDown

Reaction score
There's no transmission dipstick, so it's not something that's easy to check. It requires special equipment, and it's not something dealerships would normally do.
If I'm not mistaken, there's no special tools needed. Get the trans up to 86-122 degrees. With the engine running, cycle the gear selector through all the gears pausing 5 seconds in each gear (R, N and D) shut the engine off. Get underneath the vehicle and pull the fill plug at the passenger side rear. restart the engine with and with the vehicle on level ground, place in neutral, set the brake and leave the engine running. If the fluid level is correct , a small steam of fluid coming from the fill port

Capture8hp.PNG

If no fluid appears, the trans is low on fluid, add fluid (with the engine running in neutral, until a steady stream starts to flow out.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So basically the same way you would check a manual trans then, or a diff. Good to know, thanks! I've seen several posts that mentioned some kind of specialty tools or equipment is needed, and I just blindly believed that. I should know better LOL.

JW1974

Reaction score
Well new transmission didn't fix the issue. They now think it's electronic issue. I've never had a new truck have these kinds of issues before, I hope they can figure it out.

Zig10

Reaction score
Had a similar experience when my Corvette shorted out the entire electrical system 7 days into ownership. Took the dealer 2 weeks to figure it out, and it turned out to be a chafed wiring harness buried under the driver's seat. I was miserable the whole time they had it, and made myself sick over it. In the end, once I got it back and they gave a free extended warranty, the car ran perfectly and I smiled every time I got behind the wheel.

I truly hope yours turns out that way as well. Life is too short to let things like this destroy your morale. Took me a looonnnggg time to realize that.

Good luck.

nburd

Reaction score
Well new transmission didn't fix the issue. They now think it's electronic issue. I've never had a new truck have these kinds of issues before, I hope they can figure it out.
At 30 days for the repair, you should be eligible for the lemon law buy back depending on your State requirements and if you bought it new. That will get you all of your money back. I do not know if I would wait 30+ days for a repair. Anyway, it’s a simple process, certified letter to Chrysler. Just follow your State rules. I am sorry to hear you are having issues. Nothing is perfect I guess.

JW1974

Reaction score
Well got the call today that they cannot figure out what the issue is so Chrysler said replace the motor. Hopefully this will finally work, it's been almost 60 days without my truck.

Nibis

Reaction score
Wow, 60 days, that should qualify for lemon law. Sorry, I wouldn't want a brand new truck that has been all tore apart.

Users who are viewing this thread