5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tranny damage on 2 day old rebel

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Stop, seriously.
This dosen't warrant buying back the vehicle and will not impact its value or reliability. I'd be more concerned about dealers with hail damaged cars that don't inform customers. A new trans ain't sh*t, wouldn't bother me one bit.

You stop. You have a value proposition issue over this? That's fine, but the owner apparently has an issue with it. You are saying you wouldn't have a problem needing a new tranny after 2 days after paying $40-50K?

Also, it does carry diminished value, I work in the auto industry with front line dealerships, vehicles that need a replacement tranny or engine this early hurt resale, whether you want to admit it or not. That's why I've seen personally dealerships buy back vehicles with body work and major mechanical if it happens early in ownership due to diminished value on the buyer. Has nothing to do with Lemon Law.

If you are fine with it, more power to you. But I don't agree in this particular circumstance. I know the manufacturer only has to warranty and repair, but not everything is all black and white. Like I've said before, I've seen dealerships take back vehicles for a less, and trust me, dealerships/manufacturers don't take back vehicles unless they thought it made sense under those circumstances.

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
What do you mean by owning new ram with lifetime?
The Ram will be 2 yrs old Nov 24th (new to me), the Mopar lifetime warranty is no longer available. The Lifetime Maxcare was available until the end of November 2018. Thanks to this forum I was informed of it's availability and it's demise. I bit the bullet as I believe AC units are a problem these days and the freon is expensive. I'm a long term owner also.

nburd

Reaction score
Lemon law doesn't apply here....yet. it's only a lemon if after they work on it the issue keeps coming back.
For many states the Lemon Law will apply if the repair takes more than 30 calendar days. So if it’s delayed, they have to buy the truck back. Sounds like he is at least 7 days into it.

BowDown

Reaction score
You stop. You have a value proposition issue over this? That's fine, but the owner apparently has an issue with it. You are saying you wouldn't have a problem needing a new tranny after 2 days after paying $40-50K?

Also, it does carry diminished value, I work in the auto industry with front line dealerships, vehicles that need a replacement tranny or engine this early hurt resale, whether you want to admit it or not. That's why I've seen personally dealerships buy back vehicles with body work and major mechanical if it happens early in ownership due to diminished value on the buyer. Has nothing to do with Lemon Law.

If you are fine with it, more power to you. But I don't agree in this particular circumstance. I know the manufacturer only has to warranty and repair, but not everything is all black and white. Like I've said before, I've seen dealerships take back vehicles for a less, and trust me, dealerships/manufacturers don't take back vehicles unless they thought it made sense under those circumstances.

Asking/demanding a new truck over a warranty repair is childish.
Would I like it, no. Would I demand a new vehicle, no. As others have said, it isn't a big deal, fix it and move on.
No, that truck will not have diminished value, its a transmission. You guys constantly telling people to lemon law vehicles or demand a new vehicle aren't helping anyone or providing valuable, factual or even realistic information.
Yes it sucks but it isnt a big deal as long as it's dealt with by the dealer/FCA appropriately.
Tell me how exactly a new trans diminishes the value of these trucks.
FCA is putting a new trans in for the OP, they could have tried to cover it up and move on but they're getting a new trans, OP will end up with a truck checked front to back and will be fine, they may/should give him something for the trouble but a new truck, no

BowDown

Reaction score
For many states the Lemon Law will apply if the repair takes more than 30 calendar days. So if it’s delayed, they have to buy the truck back. Sounds like he is at least 7 days into it.
Texas requires 3 attempts of the same repair or 30 days loss of use iirc. This shouldn't be one of those cases. They should have the trans out and in within a few hours. The wait for the trans is the biggest issue now

BilletLaramie57

Reaction score
Transmissions are not showing on backorder so hopefully it should not be as long as some repairs are taking due to COVID issues with suppliers and back orders.

I am actually really interested in the statement they made about sending in fluid. In 14 years, I have never seen that done. Also, how could that have been sent in AND tested as fast as this timeline has been laid out?

I agree with @BowDown. There are a lot of statements being thrown around in this thread that are not helpful and factually not how things work. Let the OP share his story and service timeline updates with us so that people can see/learn how the process plays out in case it happens again. That way a person can have somewhat of an idea of what to expect or not expect from FCA and service departments.

RHCan

USAF Retired Vet
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hopefully they will get it repaired and no more issue, no lemon law, no worries.I know it’s not what you want to hear but asking is better then not. Forrest say it best . It’s like a box of chocolate you never know what you’re gonna get. The dealer might surprise you and want to show their appreciation for your purchase. Also bow down we are neighbors. I too live in Frisco

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Asking/demanding a new truck over a warranty repair is childish.
Would I like it, no. Would I demand a new vehicle, no. As others have said, it isn't a big deal, fix it and move on.
No, that truck will not have diminished value, its a transmission. You guys constantly telling people to lemon law vehicles or demand a new vehicle aren't helping anyone or providing valuable, factual or even realistic information.
Yes it sucks but it isnt a big deal as long as it's dealt with by the dealer/FCA appropriately.
Tell me how exactly a new trans diminishes the value of these trucks.
FCA is putting a new trans in for the OP, they could have tried to cover it up and move on but they're getting a new trans, OP will end up with a truck checked front to back and will be fine, they may/should give him something for the trouble but a new truck, no

Over a warranty repair? So flippant about it right? Like a sensor going out or something else small. Again, two points that changes the conversation for me. A transmission replacement isn't small, for some vehicles it actually requires a cab-off process. Also, 2-days after delivery. Those are two big details you leave off. Yes, it would be childish for something small or a tranny replacement say a couple of years down the road. Of course, but two days for a major drivetrain removal and replacement after signing on the dotted line? No, i would see that in a different light.

Also, don't group me in with Lemon Law stuff, I told you this has ZERO to do with lemon law. Like I said, I've seen plenty of cases where the dealer bought back a vehicle for less. Even on this forum, there was that link I posted most recently of a roof seam crack, which got the owner a new truck. He didn't even request it, the sales manager helped him out.

New vehicles that need a new engine or tranny have diminishes value, specifically within the first few years. There is a calculation for it depending on age, but it's negative on (nearly) new vehicles. Paint/body damage is also part of the diminished calculation (hence the guy who got a new truck for bodywork). If you saw a nearly new vehicle on the lot that service records shows a new tranny was installed, would you honestly think nothing of it? Or would you wonder what else is wrong with it?

Dealerships could have tried covered what up??? The truck is 2 days old, you think the dealer had the option to cover it up and move on? How exactly would they do that? If you didn't know this, dealerships don't fix trannys, they replace them, it's the minimum they needed to do. Yeah, I'm sure they will check every nut and bolt front and back. If they did their jobs on pre-sales prep, maybe they would have caught this issue before it happened. Low tranny fluid was the cause right? Somehow they missed that, but I'm sure they will be perfect this time.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
Over a warranty repair? So flippant about it right? Like a sensor going out or something else small. Again, two points that changes the conversation for me. A transmission replacement isn't small, for some vehicles it actually requires a cab-off process. Also, 2-days after delivery. Those are two big details you leave off. Yes, it would be childish for something small or a tranny replacement say a couple of years down the road. Of course, but two days for a major drivetrain removal and replacement after signing on the dotted line? No, i would see that in a different light.

Also, don't group me in with Lemon Law stuff, I told you this has ZERO to do with lemon law. Like I said, I've seen plenty of cases where the dealer bought back a vehicle for less. Even on this forum, there was that link I posted most recently of a roof seam crack, which got the owner a new truck. He didn't even request it, the sales manager helped him out.

New vehicles that need a new engine or tranny have diminishes value, specifically within the first few years. There is a calculation for it depending on age, but it's negative on (nearly) new vehicles. Paint/body damage is also part of the diminished calculation (hence the guy who got a new truck for bodywork). If you saw a nearly new vehicle on the lot that service records shows a new tranny was installed, would you honestly think nothing of it? Or would you wonder what else is wrong with it?

Dealerships could have tried covered what up??? The truck is 2 days old, you think the dealer had the option to cover it up and move on? How exactly would they do that? If you didn't know this, dealerships don't fix trannys, they replace them, it's the minimum they needed to do. Yeah, I'm sure they will check every nut and bolt front and back. If they did their jobs on pre-sales prep, maybe they would have caught this issue before it happened. Low tranny fluid was the cause right? Somehow they missed that, but I'm sure they will be perfect this time.

You are not removing the cab to change a trans on a Ram, put the shovel down. Secondly, I did mention the time owned and thst it sucked but would be made right.
You keep talking about diminished value but bring zero facts to back that up. Provided FCA installs a brand new ZF trans and st the dealership as opposed to using a swinger under a tree, what's the reduction in value based on,it having a new trans, thst the trans was replaced with a brand new trans? There's no basis for diminished value, that typically only applies to vehicles tha have been in an accident where the repairs an methods can be questionable. What's questionable about a new trans that's installed at the dealership service center?
FCA/dealer could have replaced the clutch pack and/or the brake, refilled the trans and called it good (the cover-up) but they did the right thing and replaced the trans. ZF most likely wants it back anyway.

If I looked at the service history and saw thst the trans was replaced AND saw the accompanying notes stated why, I'd have no issues. The new trans has a warranty, was installed by pros and was brand new, no reason to worry. Now if the trans was instslled at jiffy lube and rebuilt by AAA trans,I'd have a problem with it and question its value.

Someone missed this on the check list, you think the service manager, the GM, the sales person is going to let this truck leave without checking everything else? I highly doubt it, this is a hot case and already has the dealership exposed for not doing a pre-delivery check. FCA may even fault the dealer for not following procedure, this truck has a lot of eyes on it now so no, I'd have zero worries about the repair or thst they didn't check the entire truck over.

Lastly, I never said you claimed lemon law, I was making a broad observation as to how some on this forum scream like the sky is falling wanting to lemon law or have a truck replaced because of an issue. Its childish and dosen't help anyone get anything resolved.

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
Hopefully they will get it repaired and no more issue, no lemon law, no worries.I know it’s not what you want to hear but asking is better then not. Forrest say it best . It’s like a box of chocolate you never know what you’re gonna get. The dealer might surprise you and want to show their appreciation for your purchase. Also bow down we are neighbors. I too live in Frisco
Nice, cool to see fellow owners near

SD Rebel

Reaction score
You are not removing the cab to change a trans on a Ram, put the shovel down. Secondly, I did mention the time owned and thst it sucked but would be made right.
You keep talking about diminished value but bring zero facts to back that up. Provided FCA installs a brand new ZF trans and st the dealership as opposed to using a swinger under a tree, what's the reduction in value based on,it having a new trans, thst the trans was replaced with a brand new trans? There's no basis for diminished value, that typically only applies to vehicles tha have been in an accident where the repairs an methods can be questionable. What's questionable about a new trans that's installed at the dealership service center?
FCA/dealer could have replaced the clutch pack and/or the brake, refilled the trans and called it good (the cover-up) but they did the right thing and replaced the trans. ZF most likely wants it back anyway.

If I looked at the service history and saw thst the trans was replaced AND saw the accompanying notes stated why, I'd have no issues. The new trans has a warranty, was installed by pros and was brand new, no reason to worry. Now if the trans was instslled at jiffy lube and rebuilt by AAA trans,I'd have a problem with it and question its value.

Someone missed this on the check list, you think the service manager, the GM, the sales person is going to let this truck leave without checking everything else? I highly doubt it, this is a hot case and already has the dealership exposed for not doing a pre-delivery check. FCA may even fault the dealer for not following procedure, this truck has a lot of eyes on it now so no, I'd have zero worries about the repair or thst they didn't check the entire truck over.

Lastly, I never said you claimed lemon law, I was making a broad observation as to how some on this forum scream like the sky is falling wanting to lemon law or have a truck replaced because of an issue. Its childish and dosen't help anyone get anything resolved.

What facts do you want? A link to an article by Car & Driver? I work with dealerships who have a calculation for diminished values for drivetrain & body issues. That information isn't usually disseminated online. The exception is diminished values due to car accidents, which are usually easy to get, since it involves various 3rd party insurance companies. Diminished values for new vehicle defects is between the dealership, manufacturer & sometimes the owner. These cases are rare to begin with, and other than a forum member telling you they got a new truck for this or that, what other detail do you expect to be published out there?

Replaced the clutch packs? How would that fix his issue? His tranny went out due to low oil, not something you can easily cover up, especially for 5 years and 60,000 miles still left on his powertrain warranty. You think they are going to nickel and dime him for 5 years with BS repairs? Did you miss the part where I said they don't repair trannys, they replace them? Trucks under warranty gets a new tranny, that's common SOP, they don't get a medal for doing the bare minimum here.

You have no issues on a nearly new truck needing a tranny? Zero questions, I don't believe that one bit. Lots of eyes on it, hot case? You think FCA which has the worst dealership customer service results for the last few years is looking at these cases like that? The dealerships are overrun with warranty claims and service work right now, they sold far more vehicles than they were prepared to service. I don't trust them to do an oil change, I certainly would not be ecstatic to know they are going to replace my transmission.

As I mentioned before, if this happened to my truck now, which is over a year old, I would suck it up and get it fixed. But if the ink isn't even dry on my paperwork, handed you a big check, and you're telling me I need a new tranny because it had low fluid, and that your guys are going to tear into my fresh new truck, I would feel completely different.

These guys can barely do an oil change without scratching something or leaving a stain on the seat or forgetting to screw something back on. Can you understand why I would be really unhappy with my 2 day old truck needing this type of repair?

This type of issue is rare, having this type of repair this early is not common. However, dealership buy backs is not unusual when something like this happens. They don't do that because they want to, but because they want to make it right for the buyer. You think the guy on this forum who got a new truck for a paint/body issue was just because? There is a system in place for rare situations like this. So telling the OP to suck it up and live with it is one option, but he clearly has another if he wants to pursue it.

I don't normally argue with folks on this forum, you could be my first, but it's because I've seen first hand quite a few times dealerships buying these vehicles back, for engine/tranny or bodywork this early in the ownership experience. To say it's being childish to even ask for something in the OPs situation is being rather flippant over it. It's easy when it's not your truck or money right?

Last edited:

JohnnyBgoode

Reaction score
Whoever referenced a box of chocolates- you are wrong. You don’t pay $55k for chocolates.
Lets say the factory or whoever was checking missed some things. What other damage will I see down the road? Most of you will say zero, by that’s all I’ll ever have in my head.

I got a call from Ramcare today. After 3 days of calls and messages - (why the F would they assign me a case manager who is was vacation from when I made the claim and won’t be back until next week!?) The girl who called today asked If I knew any updates, because she didn’t know anything. I told her I finally got a loaner and my distress about a big purchase and big failure on its 2nd drive.
I asked about some options but it was out of her pay grade. She is contacting the next level up to relay my messages and will call me back tomorrow.

I know it does not yet qualify for lemon. I have worked in customer service my whole life, from retail and now even in the medical field there is an aspect of it. There are many options a business has to show good faith to the public and customers. I truly hope something can be worked out. I will keep this updated. Thanks all for the posts so far. Many different views here.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Going to war with Chrysler or frankly any manufacturer is always an uphill battle. I’ve done it twice, albeit once in 96 and again in 2002, both times with Chrysler... It took months and that was with the dealership on my side. I never involved attorneys or made threats.

Cars/Trucks are not just simple material purchases, they are expensive, but also a very emotional purchase. With that, and the potential worry of car fax reports I can certainly see why OP is upset.

This isn’t a new fridge with a condenser fan that failed, it’s the second most expensive thing people spend money on. I have an old Land Rover purchased new by me. It’s worth very little now, but it’s a family member to us. Wouldn’t care and might even expect a serious failure now, but two days after purchase? Had that happened to me, I might have driven it for a few years, but I wouldn’t have kept it for 16 years.

Good luck OP, hang in there.

JohnnyBgoode

Reaction score
For the guy posting about the quick turn around in transmission fluid- this is just what service advisor at the shop told me. i Cabot confirm it it I would love to see all of the documentation and communication between Chrysler and the shop.

I have been and will continue to try and be as professional as possible with the shop, dealer, and Chrysler.

JW1974

Reaction score
My 2020 Ram Bighorn with etorque has 14k on it and has now been in the service department for a month. First they changed the oil pump because they said the pressure was only 17 pounds but the reason it was in there was due to the start/stop system alert and the truck not shifting into higher gears. I get a call last week and they are now pulling out the transmission. I totally understand how frustrating it is but Ram Cares has authorized me 60 day rental, hopefully won't take that long. My biggest frustration is that I'm still making my truck payment and do not have my truck.

BowDown

Reaction score
What facts do you want? A link to an article by Car & Driver? I work with dealerships who have a calculation for diminished values for drivetrain & body issues. That information isn't usually disseminated online. The exception is diminished values due to car accidents, which are usually easy to get, since it involves various 3rd party insurance companies. Diminished values for new vehicle defects is between the dealership, manufacturer & sometimes the owner. These cases are rare to begin with, and other than a forum member telling you they got a new truck for this or that, what other detail do you expect to be published out there?

Replaced the clutch packs? How would that fix his issue? His tranny went out due to low oil, not something you can easily cover up, especially for 5 years and 60,000 miles still left on his powertrain warranty. You think they are going to nickel and dime him for 5 years with BS repairs? Did you miss the part where I said they don't repair trannys, they replace them? Trucks under warranty gets a new tranny, that's common SOP, they don't get a medal for doing the bare minimum here.

You have no issues on a nearly new truck needing a tranny? Zero questions, I don't believe that one bit. Lots of eyes on it, hot case? You think FCA which has the worst dealership customer service results for the last few years is looking at these cases like that? The dealerships are overrun with warranty claims and service work right now, they sold far more vehicles than they were prepared to service. I don't trust them to do an oil change, I certainly would not be ecstatic to know they are going to replace my transmission.

As I mentioned before, if this happened to my truck now, which is over a year old, I would suck it up and get it fixed. But if the ink isn't even dry on my paperwork, handed you a big check, and you're telling me I need a new tranny because it had low fluid, and that your guys are going to tear into my fresh new truck, I would feel completely different.

These guys can barely do an oil change without scratching something or leaving a stain on the seat or forgetting to screw something back on. Can you understand why I would be really unhappy with my 2 day old truck needing this type of repair?

This type of issue is rare, having this type of repair this early is not common. However, dealership buy backs is not unusual when something like this happens. They don't do that because they want to, but because they want to make it right for the buyer. You think the guy on this forum who got a new truck for a paint/body issue was just because? There is a system in place for rare situations like this. So telling the OP to suck it up and live with it is one option, but he clearly has another if he wants to pursue it.

I don't normally argue with folks on this forum, you could be my first, but it's because I've seen first hand quite a few times dealerships buying these vehicles back, for engine/tranny or bodywork this early in the ownership experience. To say it's being childish to even ask for something in the OPs situation is being rather flippant over it. It's easy when it's not your truck or money right?

Do you know how an auto trans works? You can easily band-aid that with a quickie rebuild and new fluid, the hard components aren't what typically fail.
I NEVER said I'd have no issues with a new truck that needs a trans, I said I wouldn't demand a new truck because that wasn't reasonable.
You work with/at dealerships so you KNOW? So the _ what, your above post is about how bad dealership people are , that doesn't make you credible, you're telling someone to demand a new truck over this issue. NO ONE, I repeat NOT ONE PERSON here would be happy with the situation but demanding a new truck is not the correct course of action. nor would it happen and if "reading" about buy backs makes you an expert, we're all experts.

My truck is a month old, a $65K Limited, if the trans went out on day two or tomorrow, my only demand would be a new trans and a comp'd or heavily discounted warranty, asking for a new truck would be foolish and unreasonable on my part, hows that for it being my truck or my money? I've had a new $15K engine fail in my Z06, I didn't throw a fit, pulled it and sent it back and said fix it., done.
Not one person has argued that buybacks don't happen, the argument was that THIS situation does NOT warrant that. RIF

Last edited:

BowDown

Reaction score
For the guy posting about the quick turn around in transmission fluid- this is just what service advisor at the shop told me. i Cabot confirm it it I would love to see all of the documentation and communication between Chrysler and the shop.

I have been and will continue to try and be as professional as possible with the shop, dealer, and Chrysler.

I have replaced many transmissions in my lifetime, this has always been one of the fastest easiest repairs to a RWD vehicle. The only thing to watch/worry for is to make sure that they change or flush the torque convertor, and completely flush the trans cooler and all the lines. Being both aware/knowledgeable about the process AND professional will go a very long way with this.

BowDown

Reaction score
Whoever referenced a box of chocolates- you are wrong. You don’t pay $55k for chocolates.
Lets say the factory or whoever was checking missed some things. What other damage will I see down the road? Most of you will say zero, by that’s all I’ll ever have in my head.

I got a call from Ramcare today. After 3 days of calls and messages - (why the F would they assign me a case manager who is was vacation from when I made the claim and won’t be back until next week!?) The girl who called today asked If I knew any updates, because she didn’t know anything. I told her I finally got a loaner and my distress about a big purchase and big failure on its 2nd drive.
I asked about some options but it was out of her pay grade. She is contacting the next level up to relay my messages and will call me back tomorrow.

I know it does not yet qualify for lemon. I have worked in customer service my whole life, from retail and now even in the medical field there is an aspect of it. There are many options a business has to show good faith to the public and customers. I truly hope something can be worked out. I will keep this updated. Thanks all for the posts so far. Many different views here.

The biggest aggravation is the lack of communication, this is something most shops have not figured out. Hang in there, it'll work out and they'll probably add a extended warranty for your peace of mind

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/