5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tranny damage on 2 day old rebel

JohnnyBgoode

Reaction score
I factory ordered a 2020 Rebel. I picked it up and on my second day of driving it began Erving high between gears and shifting very hard. Then I had multiple check engine lights and the truck wouldn’t go over 40mph. Dealer did quick scan and popped 4 transmission codes. Stuck in 3rd gear, gear ratio error, and a few others. Truck went into “limp mode”.
Ram care said they will get me a rental while it takes the dealer a week to even take a look.
My question is- can I demand a new vehicle? Consumer care act of 2015 seems to allow me to cancel the sale within 30 days.
Any advice? Legal or other ?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I factory ordered a 2020 Rebel. I picked it up and on my second day of driving it began Erving high between gears and shifting very hard. Then I had multiple check engine lights and the truck wouldn’t go over 40mph. Dealer did quick scan and popped 4 transmission codes. Stuck in 3rd gear, gear ratio error, and a few others. Truck went into “limp mode”.
Ram care said they will get me a rental while it takes the dealer a week to even take a look.
My question is- can I demand a new vehicle? Consumer care act of 2015 seems to allow me to cancel the sale within 30 days.
Unless you're having regrets for the purchase based on monetary grounds, I'm not sure you'd want to. You waited a number of weeks for what I assume was a custom order with everything you wanted. Transmission problems of this nature are extremely rare, and especially on a 8HP series tranny. Once resolved I'm sure you will appreciate driving a vehicle that was custom ordered to your specifications and it should not take as long to resolve as it did to receive the truck in the first place.

Then again, maybe you are considering changing the order.

Good luck with your decision.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 039091 miles.

JohnnyBgoode

Reaction score
My thought is will a rebuilt tranny really be as good as a new one with no issues from the beginning? Warranty is only 3 years. I plan on keeping it much longer.

I will absolutely wait for another build. Is this option a possibility that ram will do without a huge fight?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My thought is will a rebuilt tranny really be as good as a new one with no issues from the beginning? Warranty is only 3 years. I plan on keeping it much longer.

I will absolutely wait for another build. Is this option a possibility that ram will do without a huge fight?
Unless you've been informed otherwise, I'm not sure why you think they'll install a rebuilt transmission. In past cases that I'm aware of when the vehicle is that new, they've always used a new transmission. Since the 8HP series was introduced in 2013 for Ram, the history has been extremely reliable and long lasting. Rebuilds are only done at a Chrysler factory (there are no authorized field rebuilds) and other than the transmission housing get just about all new components.

With respect to getting another new vehicle, my sense is they will decline ordering you another one. But the terms regarding that situation might be a legal question and dependent on the laws of your state.

Best of luck,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 039091 miles.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
You haven't listed your location so I'm not sure where you live, but I'm not aware of such a law in the US. I believe some states may have those types of laws, but I can't say for sure. Some dealerships in my area offer no questions asked return periods, but most are only for 7 days. With these you will get the purchase price back, along with anything else you bought while in the finance office. But you will not get back any sales tax you paid. I haven't ever taken advantage of one of these offers, so I don't know any more than that about them.

You do have the lemon law protection to fall back on, but there are specific criteria which must be met. And those vary from state to state. I would say so far, nothing that's happened meets that criteria for any state. My advice would be to relax and let it play out before you panic too much.

nburd

Reaction score
Just adding a little dark humor to a terrible situation.....I know you didn’t.....but it’s been that kind of day for me already...........it must have been a heck of a burn out........

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Damage: it takes a LOT to damage a transmission. Unless there are metal shavings (beyond normal initial break-in), it's probably just a bad sensor. <-- Hey, total "guess", not seeing it, but, that's what I think, reading your description.

So, they'll run some diagnostics, re-flash the Power Train Control Module (if that's what it's called these days), swap out a sensor or two, and you'll probably have the smoothest running transmission of anyone.

I'd let 'em fix it. (I'd ask for some giveback: maybe a service or three, maybe extend the warranty to 10/100k from when you get it back, etc.) I'd be curious to find out exactly what went wrong.

All of the above is JMHO.

yaksushi

Reaction score
No advice but I totally get where you are coming from. I'd also be wondering if this happened after 2 days what else is going to happen to this truck in a week, month, year etc. Especially if you are a new RAM owner like myself without the brand loyalty of others.

JohnnyBgoode

Reaction score
Damage: it takes a LOT to damage a transmission. Unless there are metal shavings (beyond normal initial break-in), it's probably just a bad sensor. <-- Hey, total "guess", not seeing it, but, that's what I think, reading your description.

So, they'll run some diagnostics, re-flash the Power Train Control Module (if that's what it's called these days), swap out a sensor or two, and you'll probably have the smoothest running transmission of anyone.

I'd let 'em fix it. (I'd ask for some giveback: maybe a service or three, maybe extend the warranty to 10/100k from when you get it back, etc.) I'd be curious to find out exactly what went wrong.

Thanks for the replies everyone!
Ordered the truck from CT, truck is at dealer in NY where I live. Dealers out here only help you if you got it from them. Who would I even ask about extending the warranty and who foots the bill? Is it even a real option?

I’ll keep everyone updated. So far the truck won’t even be looked at until next week. Loaners aren’t available until October and since I ‘didn’t buy it from them, they won’t give me one anyway’. BS! I called ram care and they said I can get a rental. ($35/day max). That will barely get me into an economy! Frustrated :(

brewdad

Reaction score
If there is internal transmission damage, the transmission assembly will be replaced; FCA does not authorize dealerships to repair transmissions on new vehicles; they will require the dealer to return the defective trans in order for their engineers to tear it apart to find out what went wrong.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I completely agree, not sure why eveyone's jumping on the "new trans" wagon as there's likely nothing wrong with the trans and its a sensor/electrical issue.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was informed today by the transmission technician that remanufactured 8HP series transmission are only used for out-of-warranty repairs.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 039377 miles.

JohnnyBgoode

Reaction score
is an offer of an extended warranty even a thing? How hard would I have to push ram care to get this? If 2 days is all it took for this to happen. I worry about the future. I plan to keep this truck a long time.

BowDown

Reaction score
is an offer of an extended warranty even a thing? How hard would I have to push ram care to get this? If 2 days is all it took for this to happen. I worry about the future. I plan to keep this truck a long time.

They may offer you a "discounted" warranty but I doubt they'll give you one, this isn't anyone's fault or negligence and if its electrical, no trans damage

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The manufacturer has no obligation to offer any free warranty extension. They are doing what the original warranty is there for. Fixing a failure within the 3 year / 36,000 mi coverage regardless if it's at 2 years and 364 days /35,999 miles or in your case, 2 days. I had a complete engine replacement in my 99 Lightning within the first month of ownership. Never gave it another thought. That truck performed flawlessly after that.

Rossum

Reaction score
I had a complete engine replacement in my 99 Lightning within the first month of ownership.
Yep. The failure rate of most products tends to have a bowl-shaped curve over time. It starts out high early on as true defects show up relatively quickly. It then settles down for a period of time after defects have shaken out, and later rises again as wear, tear, and just plain age begin to take their toll.

Your engine, and the OP's transmission likely had some true defect in materials or workmanship. Dealing with these are what manufacturer's warranties are for.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. The failure rate of most products tends to have a bowl-shaped curve over time. It starts out high early on as true defects show up relatively quickly. It then settles down for a period of time after defects have shaken out, and later rises again as wear, tear, and just plain age begin to take their toll.

Your engine, and the OP's transmission likely had some true defect in materials or workmanship. Dealing with these are what manufacturer's warranties are for.
My engine was running fine but Ford was putting forged pistons in the Lightnings and some were a little small and the truck sounded like a diesel when you started it cold. Once the pistons warmed and expanded it would quiet down. I didn't like it and the engineers back in Detroit wanted to tear it down so they shipped a complete engine with supercharger and all. I had flown to Detroit to get it (the second week they were available). Back in the nineties, I still had some Detroit area dealer connections and actually got X-plan pricing for a truck selling over sticker.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The manufacturer has no obligation to offer any free warranty extension. They are doing what the original warranty is there for. Fixing a failure within the 3 year / 36,000 mi coverage regardless if it's at 2 years and 364 days /35,999 miles or in your case, 2 days. I had a complete engine replacement in my 99 Lightning within the first month of ownership. Never gave it another thought. That truck performed flawlessly after that.

Actually drivetrain is 5 year, 60,000 miles on RAM (and most manufacturers) beyond the 3 year 36K bumper to bumper.

On my 2000 F150 with a manual, it had a crunch 2nd/3rd gear syncro, which was common issue on those Mazda 5-speeds. They replaced it under warranty and gave me an extended 10 year, 100K warranty on it.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

That sucks man, I would be frustrated as well. Hopefully its a minor issue and not a mechanically one. Your powertrain warranty is 5 years, 60K, but you will be getting a ton of offers from Mopar to extend your warranty, but those you will have to pay for.

If they need to replace the tranny, it won't hurt to ask for an extended warranty beyond the 5 year/60k. After just 2 days of ownership, I honestly would try and get them to switch me to another truck for a failed tranny, people here have had truck replacements for even less. But hopefully, it's a simple sensor or some other electrical issue.

Users who are viewing this thread