5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

...Time to talk about warranty

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Is that really true? eTorque is a lot more than just a battery (which is nowhere near the most expensive part of the system, I'm guessing).
Review post #79's attachment on what is not covered.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Review post #79's attachment on what is not covered.
I reviewed the attachment and was looking for specifics ASIDE FROM the battery. eTorque is not a battery...that's just one component. Where is the specific exclusion for eTorque?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I reviewed the attachment and was looking for specifics ASIDE FROM the battery. eTorque is not a battery...that's just one component. Where is the specific exclusion for eTorque?

Counselor, please proceed.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It excluded hybrid systems. Making the assumption the etorque is classified as hybrid.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could also call them and ask this question. That's what I did about 1) regular service can be done anywhere, just keep a log and maybe receipts. Doesn't have to be at dealer. 2) fluid contamination and sludge exception means you making a mistake and mixing fluids improperly, not servicing etc. It does not mean fluid contamination from a cracked head gasket (an issue near and dear to my heart currently). 3) Buying the warranty without it being delivered yet (which I posted above they wouldn't let me do).

They pick right up and answer your questions pretty much immediately (she did have to run down a manager for my sludge exception question. But I'd venture they could answer your eTorque question pretty much immediately

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You could also call them and ask this question. That's what I did about 1) regular service can be done anywhere, just keep a log and maybe receipts. Doesn't have to be at dealer. 2) fluid contamination and sludge exception means you making a mistake and mixing fluids improperly, not servicing etc. It does not mean fluid contamination from a cracked head gasket (an issue near and dear to my heart currently). 3) Buying the warranty without it being delivered yet (which I posted above they wouldn't let me do).

They pick right up and answer your questions pretty much immediately (she did have to run down a manager for my sludge exception question. But I'd venture they could answer your eTorque question pretty much immediately

I'm now wondering about buying it before delivery online. If I've got the VIN, what can they do?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm now wondering about buying it before delivery online. If I've got the VIN, what can they do?
According to the person I talked with today, they can't do it until you take delivery because they need an "in service date." Someone earlier posted they were told you just need a VIN. That was a no-go with the lady I spoke with today and when I was getting a quote with the online tool, it also asked for an in service date, which it again defines as the date you take delivery.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It excluded hybrid systems. Making the assumption the etorque is classified as hybrid.
That's the catch...it's an assumption. Ram has been careful NOT to call eTorque a hybrid system, and I would call them on that if they tried to reclassify it under warranty. At the very least, we need explicit clarification.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
According to the person I talked with today, they can't do it until you take delivery because they need an "in service date." Someone earlier posted they were told you just need a VIN. That was a no-go with the lady I spoke with today and when I was getting a quote with the online tool, it also asked for an in service date, which it again defines as the date you take delivery.
Call and ask for bob. He’s the manager and claims once the truck has shipped they can apply the warranty.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's the catch...it's an assumption. Ram has been careful NOT to call eTorque a hybrid system, and I would call them on that if they tried to reclassify it under warranty. At the very least, we need explicit clarification.

That's actually exactly what they call it. From FCA video explaining it:
And from the FCA press release: http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=18758. Both refer to it as the eTorque mild hybrid system.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's funny...when they first rolled it out, they said, "Don't call it a hybrid!" It's all about marketing perception, right?!

Haha! Yep, absolutely. And it wouldn't surprise me to see them change the wording depending on the materials. Kind of like those missing bed extenders..

HannibalofCarthage

Reaction score
Well I went ahead and did it........figure since i'm going to keep the truck and pass it down why the hell not.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
4th from bottom: "Hybrid components: hybrid charging system; hybrid electric cooling system; hybrid power invertor system;" on what is not covered.

My apologies for referring to "etorque" for the things not covered. It should have read as per above and below. It appears to be semantics. Etorque is the complete system (motor+electrics) versus hybrid is the eletrical?????

My interpretation is that I'm on the hook for unknown $$$ for repairs "down the road" with the "lifetime Warranty". Is it even possible to get a price on the hybrid parts at this time?

5th from bottom: "Repairs or replacement to components covered by the Hybrid System Limited Warranty (refer to Warranty booklet for details); "

9th from top: "High voltage battery is not covered at any time (regardless of cause of failure); "

JimmyD

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
FYI

Attachments

• 4C49EA86-42B6-4477-B27B-776398E922BC.jpeg
    4C49EA86-42B6-4477-B27B-776398E922BC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 31

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
4th from bottom: "Hybrid components: hybrid charging system; hybrid electric cooling system; hybrid power invertor system;" on what is not covered.

My apologies for referring to "etorque" for the things not covered. It should have read as per above and below. It appears to be semantics. Etorque is the complete system (motor+electrics) versus hybrid is the eletrical?????

My interpretation is that I'm on the hook for unknown $$$ for repairs "down the road" with the "lifetime Warranty". Is it even possible to get a price on the hybrid parts at this time?

5th from bottom: "Repairs or replacement to components covered by the Hybrid System Limited Warranty (refer to Warranty booklet for details); "

9th from top: "High voltage battery is not covered at any time (regardless of cause of failure); "
My Dealer told me it was only the etorque battery, just like the normal battery, that was not covered under the lifetime warranty. The motor that replaces the alternator is covered.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Understood, and I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you. I'd just like more clarification.

For example, there's no mention of "eTorque", the "Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly" (as described in the 2019 Ram 1500 Warranty Information Brochure), or even the existence of a stop/start system in the lifetime warranty document.

However, the new car warranty explicitly covers the BSG for 3 years / 36,000 miles. In fact, the only place that the word "hybrid" appears in the warranty at all is the Emission Warranties section on page 18, where it confirms coverage of the Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly.

Now, the lifetime max plan explicitly covers:
  • "Generator (Alternator)" - included in the Electrical section - implying but not specifically delineating coverage for the BSG, especially since that unit replaces the alternator in vehicles so-equipped.
  • "All wiring harnesses" - included in the Electrical section - suggesting any additional wiring for the eTorque system would be covered.
That warranty also states that the only exceptions to coverage are those items listed under "What is not covered by the Plan". Thus if an item is not explicitly listed, it is covered.

You've pointed out the battery coverage exclusion, which is clearly stated. So it all comes back to the definition of two items (and whether they actually apply to the eTorque system):
  • Repairs or replacement to components covered by the Hybrid System Limited Warranty (refer to Warranty booklet for details);
  • Hybrid components: hybrid charging system; hybrid electric cooling system; hybrid power invertor system);
(Inverter is spelled wrong in that document)

So...can anyone find the "Hybrid System Limited Warranty"? I'm having no luck, and it's not mentioned in the warranty booklet at all, which leads me to believe it's referring to a traditional hybrid (e.g. Pacifica), not the eTorque system. But that document might help put this question to bed.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m torn on this. I kept my last truck 8-1/2 years and 120,000 miles. I never needed it but I purchased a 6 year 100k warranty. I’d like to keep this truck the same timeframe. With all the extra tech stuff, touch screen, etorque etc, I am worried not to have it. However, $3000 buys a few small problems before it would pay for itself. I guess it’s one of those things you hope you don’t actually need.

Users who are viewing this thread