5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

...Time to talk about warranty

wolf1776

Reaction score
I will never buy a warranty from the dealer. They are always marked up and useless. Half the crap is not even covered either. If you want a warranty u can always buy a warranty from some place.

Just wait till your warranty is almost up and u will get several letters in the mail asking to buy their warranty

Not true. Look up Chrysler's Lifetime Maximum Care Warranty. Best warranty in the industry and covers over 500,000 items, and it never expires. I work for Ram in the service dept. and this is by far better then any warranty you will find.
I was just going to ask this question regarding timing. Is there any benefit to buying the extended warranty when you buy the truck, instead of waiting later, assuming you stay within the guidelines for eligibility? The only thing I could think of is wanting to lump it in with the original loan and the possibility of the lifetime warranties not being offered eventually (I think someone said a dealer expected these to go away at some point?)

Look up Chrysler's Lifetime Maximum Care Warranty. Best warranty in the industry and covers over 500,000 items, and it never expires. I work for Ram in the service dept. and this is by far the best warranty you will find.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had a 7yr on my 2011 Jeep and will purchase the lifetime on the ram. I wish I had the lifetime on the Jeep... for the extra 800-1,000 it would have been back in 2010 for the lifetime it would have paid for itself already.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to get the free 12 month financing you can use Damon2 for a 200 dollar discount and still be able to use the FCA 0% financing on the warranty.

So for 165 dollars promotion you lose, you get to borrow 2700 interest free for 12 months. (10% down minimum I believe when financing the warranty for the 12 months)

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you want to get the free 12 month financing you can use Damon2 for a 200 dollar discount and still be able to use the FCA 0% financing on the warranty.

So for 165 dollars promotion you lose, you get to borrow 2700 interest free for 12 months. (10% down minimum I believe when financing the warranty for the 12 months)
That's a bait and switch. The real finance fee is 10% APR if you consider the lost discount. Not bad if you don't have cash. Not 0% either.

Phiefer

Reaction score
I have purchased my extended warranties from my dealer for last two car (Fords). Same dealer sells FCA vehicles, so I will have them quote the Ram warranty.
I typically don't keep a vehicle over 5 years or have more than 60k miles. I usually then give it to my son, and take his older one to trade in.
Things I would be interested in are warranty transfer and bumper to bumper coverage similar to manufacturers.
I like the lifetime warranty idea, just don't know how many years I will have this truck.
I will monitor this thread and hopefully my truck will arrive before the end of the month and I will have a better idea after driving it as to how long I may keep it and get ideas from others to guide me on a warranty that works for me.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have purchased my extended warranties from my dealer for last two car (Fords). Same dealer sells FCA vehicles, so I will have them quote the Ram warranty.
I typically don't keep a vehicle over 5 years or have more than 60k miles. I usually then give it to my son, and take his older one to trade in.
Things I would be interested in are warranty transfer and bumper to bumper coverage similar to manufacturers.
I like the lifetime warranty idea, just don't know how many years I will have this truck.
I will monitor this thread and hopefully my truck will arrive before the end of the month and I will have a better idea after driving it as to how long I may keep it and get ideas from others to guide me on a warranty that works for me.

I'd suggest going up on Zeiglers website and getting a quote on whatever term and deductible you decide to go with before you talk to your dealer. I did that and then watched my dealer look up his cost and then look at me and say "that's Less than my cost" (it was like $100 less even before the discount code). I had absolutely no issues buying from Zeigler.

http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's a bait and switch. The real finance fee is 10% APR if you consider the lost discount. Not bad if you don't have cash. Not 0% either.

I wouldn’t call it bait and switch, the consumer is choosing which option works for them. Nothing is free as we all know so when the customer finances it comes from somewhere. The prices before the coupons are already better then what most dealers will do, then you have an option to get an additional 365 off if you pay via CC or an additional 200 off if you want to finance it. For the 14 dollars a month you miss out on due to financing, it allows some people to buy more upgrades!! lol

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not true. Look up Chrysler's Lifetime Maximum Care Warranty. Best warranty in the industry and covers over 500,000 items, and it never expires. I work for Ram in the service dept. and this is by far better then any warranty you will find.

Look up Chrysler's Lifetime Maximum Care Warranty. Best warranty in the industry and covers over 500,000 items, and it never expires. I work for Ram in the service dept. and this is by far the best warranty you will find.

All of these can be purchased within 12,000 miles though, correct? I will probably wait and see my first year issues and then invest in the lifetime if I'm satisfied with initial issues and existing warranty work via the service department

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All of these can be purchased within 12,000 miles though, correct? I will probably wait and see my first year issues and then invest in the lifetime if I'm satisfied with initial issues and existing warranty work via the service department
Yes correct. The only thing you risk is the yearly warranty price increases. You actually can buy an extended any time before the 3 year is up but you save money if it’s within the first year.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I found the online copy of the lifetime max for my vehicle. See attached.
Thanks for posting the warranty.
"THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER, OR APPLY TO LOSS OR EXPENSE RESULTING FROM:"
"Hybrid components: hybrid charging system; hybrid electric cooling system; hybrid power invertor system; "

Have been debating a V8 versus a V6 etorque and buy a "Mopar lifetime warranty". I figured buying the V8 would cost msrp of $1200 and I could supplement a V6 warranty with that 12 hundred. Mopar lifetime warranty was coming in on "initial investigations" of 3500-4200, 4000 and 5000-6000 in NYC metro area.

I tend to buy at the end of the model and keep them. V6 etorque does not appear to fit my profile without some warranty beyond the standard FCA warranty. Thanks again for the post.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the warranty.
"THE PLAN WILL NOT COVER, OR APPLY TO LOSS OR EXPENSE RESULTING FROM:"
"Hybrid components: hybrid charging system; hybrid electric cooling system; hybrid power invertor system; "

Have been debating a V8 versus a V6 etorque and buy a "Mopar lifetime warranty". I figured buying the V8 would cost msrp of $1200 and I could supplement a V6 warranty with that 12 hundred. Mopar lifetime warranty was coming in on "initial investigations" of 3500-4200, 4000 and 5000-6000 in NYC metro area.

I tend to buy at the end of the model and keep them. V6 etorque does not appear to fit my profile without some warranty beyond the standard FCA warranty. Thanks again for the post.

Way too high for the MOPAR lifetime warranty quotes you got...sounds like the NYC pricing...buy it online. You can get the $100 deductible one for under $3K (I got my $200 for like S2400).

http://www.chryslerfactoryplans.com/

See if the PROMO code still works: PAYINFULL

BTW...this is up on their website...I can't confirm its true but just a FYI.

Attention! Mopar just announced restructured pricing for Mopar Vehicle Protection Plans will become effective October 2, 2018. We know MVP plan prices for Ram 1500, Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler WILL increase. Unfortunately, price changes of plans for other models have not been disclosed. So, you should act quickly if you need an extended service warranty soon.

Last edited:

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Way too high for the MOPAR lifetime warranty quotes you got...sounds like the NYC pricing...buy it online. You can get the $100 deductible one for under $3K (I got my $200 for like S2400).

Attention! Mopar just announced restructured pricing for Mopar Vehicle Protection Plans will become effective October 2, 2018. We know MVP plan prices for Ram 1500, Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler WILL increase. Unfortunately, price changes of plans for other models have not been disclosed. So, you should act quickly if you need an extended service warranty soon.
Yes good info here. Plan pricing is going up. Estimates for lifetime are additional 200-300 dollars. New exact pricing not know until Oct 2nd.

HannibalofCarthage

Reaction score
So this is really tempting and I got an extended warranty from the dealer, if I do this how would I go about cancelling the dealer bought one and what happens to that cost written into the contract?

Jako

Reaction score

Have some work to do if I go for a warranty. Big concern is what is not covered. The 48 volt battery as per the warranty is also not covered: "High voltage battery is not covered at any time (regardless of cause of failure)". Long term ownership beyond the warranty of the etorque system is unknown and at the expense of the owner. My experience (3 dealerships) is the salemen do not deal with this warranty and know little. It falls into the territory of "finance". One dealership explained that people do not read the fine print or "listen" and create problems for the dealership. So much so that I had the feeling they are reluctant to write them. A salesman (not particularly impressed with him) stated that service has to be done at a dealership to keep the warranty intake. Doesn't sound right and if true sounds like a $$$ drain.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have some work to do if I go for a warranty. Big concern is what is not covered. The 48 volt battery as per the warranty is also not covered: "High voltage battery is not covered at any time (regardless of cause of failure)". Long term ownership beyond the warranty of the etorque system is unknown and at the expense of the owner. My experience (3 dealerships) is the salemen do not deal with this warranty and know little. It falls into the territory of "finance". One dealership explained that people do not read the fine print or "listen" and create problems for the dealership. So much so that I had the feeling they are reluctant to write them. A salesman (not particularly impressed with him) stated that service has to be done at a dealership to keep the warranty intake. Doesn't sound right and if true sounds like a $$$ drain.

Why not call someone that sell hundreds of them and talk to the about it?

Jako

Reaction score
I posted this before, but I’ll repost it for those interested. My redacted lifetime warranty paper.
Thanks for posting the warranty again. Anyone who is buying an etorque engine and the lifetime warranty need to be aware that the etorque system is NOT covered.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the warranty again. Anyone who is buying an etorque engine and the lifetime warranty need to be aware that the etorque system is NOT covered.
Is that really true? eTorque is a lot more than just a battery (which is nowhere near the most expensive part of the system, I'm guessing).

Users who are viewing this thread