5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

...Time to talk about warranty

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting the power train+ warranty . I asked if Etorque components were covered. I was told none of the plans would cover the battery. I read on another site that the battery has a 10 year/100,000 warranty, but Imhave not been able to validate that.

Not sure how it is in your state, but in California it's a bit complicated - different emission-control parts/systems are covered differently, and it also depends on the GVWR of the vehicle.
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fact-sheets/california-vehicle-and-emissions-warranty-periods
For example, for "PZEV" (partial zero emission vehicles) the hybrid batteries and other major emission-control systems are covered for 10/15 years and 150,000 miles, but the "basic emission control" items on all vehicles in the 8,501-14,000 lb GVWR are only 3 yrs & 50,000 miles.

I'm guessing that because the eTorque is a major component in terms of exhaust emissions and fuel economy, it might be one of the items that is covered a bit longer. Bottom line, though, you need to look it up specifically, (a) for your state, (b) for your GVW, and (c) for the specific emission-control/fuel-economy equipment in question. The CA webpage states: "Refer to your vehicle, engine, or equipment’s owners manual for the specific warranty coverage."

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Coming from a Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel and my Air Suspension has been flawless for 5 years and 103k miles. The right front creaked a bit around the 50k mark but quit after 6 months. It handles great and I'll miss it after my new truck arrives. The diesels have a 100k drivetrain factory warranty. The Ram Hemi is less. I may buy the lifetime or 100k extended warranty. I'll do it in the first year, if I do.

Nice to hear that the air suspension worked properly for 103k miles, but how about the Ecodiesel? Did you have any trouble with the Eco?

And do you happen to know how much of the original purchase price of the Eco that you got back in resale?

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nice to hear that the air suspension worked properly for 103k miles, but how about the Ecodiesel? Did you have any trouble with the Eco?

And do you happen to know how much of the original purchase price of the Eco that you got back in resale?

Lost the motor at 80k. Replaced under warranty. I haven't compared the Hemi resale vs the EcoDiesel. The v6 isn't comparable because it lacks the heavy towing ability. The EcoDiesel paid for itself vs the Hemi in fuel savings at around 60k miles.

Kidder

Reaction score
Depending on problems, I may get one near the end of my existing bumper to bumper

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lost the motor at 80k. Replaced under warranty. I haven't compared the Hemi resale vs the EcoDiesel. The v6 isn't comparable because it lacks the heavy towing ability. The EcoDiesel paid for itself vs the Hemi in fuel savings at around 60k miles.

Lost the Ecodiesel at 80k...that's too bad. What was the cause?

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I didn't get a diagnosis. I believe a main bearing went down. It starting knocking at 60k and progressively got louder until it lost oil pressure. It never lost power or economy.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does the factory backed Mopar Maximum Care lifetime warranty cover Mopar add-on accessories after delivery?

From my plan:

MOPAR ACCESSORIES: All electrical and mechanical Mopar accessories are covered provided they were installed by an authorized Dealer; Audio Systems (including Compact Disc Players); Sirius Satellite Radio; Speed Control; EVS (Security Systems); Clocks; Remote Trunk Release; Transmission Oil Cooler; Remote Control Outside Mirrors; Power Sliding Rear Window Assembly (Trucks); Rear Seat Video Entertainment Systems (including DVD Players); Remote Start System (excluding transmitters); MoparConnect. NOTE: MOPAR PERFORMANCE PARTS ARE NOT COVERED AT ANY TIME

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I also lost an EcoDiesel engine, at 48,000 miles, main bearing failure. Hence my Hemi order. If you are thinking about going with that engine do a lot of research, make sure they fixed its root problems, and get a lifetime powertrain waranty. [updated from @RT70808 ’s post] My 2 cents, but I won’t ever go back to that specific engine, many work ok but too many failures to ignore the odds of losing it at your expense.

Last edited:

RT70808

Reaction score
I also lost an EcoDiesel engine, at 48,000 miles, main bearing failure. Hence my Hemi order. If you are thinking about going with that engine do a lot of research, make sure they fixed its root problems, and get a lifetime powertrain waranty. My 2 cents, but I won’t go back to that specific engine, many work ok but too many failures to ignore the odds of losing it at your expense.
The lifetime warranty is not available on Hellcat, SRT, Diesel. I looked into it with my GC

Bwarren2

Reaction score
Coming from a Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel and my Air Suspension has been flawless for 5 years and 103k miles. The right front creaked a bit around the 50k mark but quit after 6 months. It handles great and I'll miss it after my new truck arrives. The diesels have a 100k drivetrain factory warranty. The Ram Hemi is less. I may buy the lifetime or 100k extended warranty. I'll do it in the first year, if I do.

After all the eco diesel problems i read, you are lucky to have sold it, the eco diesel is a time bomb

Echance01

Reaction score
Anyone know what happens in the event your truck is totaled? Do you get a refund? Or can you transfer your warranty?

Thinking about a lifetime plan. Wondering what would happen if a teenager t-bones me a year from now (their fault of course). Would I have to buy another lifetime plan or can I transfer the one I already purchased to my 2020 replacement RAM.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
Anyone know what happens in the event your truck is totaled? Do you get a refund? Or can you transfer your warranty?

Thinking about a lifetime plan. Wondering what would happen if a teenager t-bones me a year from now (their fault of course). Would I have to buy another lifetime plan or can I transfer the one I already purchased to my 2020 replacement RAM.

Personally, I've never heard of a car warranty that was transferable to another car. Maybe insurance that covers the full replacement cost of a vehicle might buy you a new one with a lifetime warranty though?

I dunno. Good question for an insurance person, or a 12 hour perusal of the terms and conditions of your warranty.

sgk

Reaction score

If that happens it would be your loss. Insurance will not pay for it on your next vehicle but depending on your coverage you may be able to get a portion of your lifetime warranty cost reimbursed. It would almost be considered a "mod" you spend 2k on it well within a year they may give you $500 plus the vehicle payout.

This is from a Canadian so you may have different rules

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Not sure, depends on warranty details I guess. Just wanted to say approximately 9-10 years ago I had a 2006 F-150 that I had a extended warranty on and I traded it for a 2004 F-350 diesel ( I know I traded backwards, needed a heavier truck, long story) The warranty transferred to the F-350, even knowing it needed ball joints. The dealer wanted me to wait a couple weeks after trading so it didn’t look to fishy then they replaced ball joints under warranty. That was a great dealership at that time anyway and treated me well on everything. Can’t remember warranty details or original cost but will always remember that situation.

Cajun

Reaction score

You should be able to cash out the remainder of the warranty in that case. I had just added a extended warranty to 17' GMC through my credit union in March for $1500. I traded that truck to buy the RAM and they reimbursed me $1400.

Cajun

Reaction score
If you financed through a credit union, check with them on extended warranties. They are way cheaper than factory prices and highly rated. I got a 6yr/100k/$100ded. for $1500 on my 17'GMC Sierra. They recommended not to purchase the ext warranty until right before the factory warranty expires. The price is the same.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you financed through a credit union, check with them on extended warranties. They are way cheaper than factory prices and highly rated. I got a 6yr/100k/$100ded. for $1500 on my 17'GMC Sierra. They recommended not to purchase the ext warranty until right before the factory warranty expires. The price is the same.

I was just going to ask this question regarding timing. Is there any benefit to buying the extended warranty when you buy the truck, instead of waiting later, assuming you stay within the guidelines for eligibility? The only thing I could think of is wanting to lump it in with the original loan and the possibility of the lifetime warranties not being offered eventually (I think someone said a dealer expected these to go away at some point?)

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was just going to ask this question regarding timing. Is there any benefit to buying the extended warranty when you buy the truck, instead of waiting later, assuming you stay within the guidelines for eligibility? The only thing I could think of is wanting to lump it in with the original loan and the possibility of the lifetime warranties not being offered eventually (I think someone said a dealer expected these to go away at some point?)
I will never buy a warranty from the dealer. They are always marked up and useless. Half the crap is not even covered either. If you want a warranty u can always buy a warranty from some place.

Just wait till your warranty is almost up and u will get several letters in the mail asking to buy their warranty

Users who are viewing this thread