5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should RAM ditch the knob shifter ?

techieanalyst

Reaction score
Ford guy to Ram, sure its a turn off/odd getting use to but once my brain finally adjusted and said "Look at the room you get" i settled down ;)

Remembered all the time I'd go to pickup my coffee cup from Tims or Mcdonalds and the bottom would hit the shifter and spill everywhere, so I'm happy with it, but I more naturally dial clockwise to park, not counter so I sometimes find myself putting it into D from R vs P but again, brain training

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
more naturally dial clockwise to park, not counter so I sometimes find myself putting it into D from R vs P but again, brain training
Interesting human factor consideration. I just imagine I’m looking at an old red gear arrow pointing to the gear above the steering column, and I’m pulling it out from park on the left to drive on the right... old automatics shifted from the steering column = P R N D 2 1 vs P R N D. Maybe our shift habits/expectations depend on what kind of shifter we started on?

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All brands are going this route. Fusions use the knob now. Lincolns are using buttons. BMW went to a joystick. I actually like the know because it makes the console much more usable. My 13 has the 6 speed with floor shifter. Man it just kills the console. My new truck has so much room its great. Especially for traveling.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As long as the transmission is electronically shifted, I really don't care what I use to shift it. I do prefer Ram's knob over a push button like some class A RV's use. Andlook at all the room the F-150 console shifter takes up. You could get two more big gulps in that space!

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like the knob but I keep mistaking the audio volume for the shifter.
This potential error is a real concern actually, my hand went there too just while sitting in the truck fiddling at the dealership. Be mindful when you reach that direction.

In aviation the generator switches and the fuel shutoff switches should be in different places and should be different shapes for a reason!

RAM1500_SoCal

Reaction score
Luckily didn't take me long to adjust to the rotary shifter coming from a console shifter. One thing I learned today, if you turn the truck off while still in drive, the rotary shifter will automatically move to park. I was not aware of this and it surprised me :).

meltedcheez

Reaction score
2014 F150 - Column shifter
2016 F150 - Console shifter
2019 RAM - Knob shifter

No issues with any of them. I'd rest my hand on the console shifter but don't miss it one bit

I just rest my hand on my coffee cup now lol

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Luckily didn't take me long to adjust to the rotary shifter coming from a console shifter. One thing I learned today, if you turn the truck off while still in drive, the rotary shifter will automatically move to park. I was not aware of this and it surprised me :).

Ironic, 5 years of living with “The Knob” and I mistakenly did this just today in my driveway. I never knew it did that either. Glad it did though, had a zillion things on my mind this afternoon and avoided a mishap thanks to tech.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ironic, 5 years of living with “The Knob” and I mistakenly did this just today in my driveway. I never knew it did that either. Glad it did though, had a zillion things on my mind this afternoon and avoided a mishap thanks to tech.

Not sure this is considered an improvement or not, but on the new 5th gen Ram 1500s the knob itself actually turns by a small electric motor when switching off the engine while not in the park position. On 4th gens the knob itself remained stationary and a solenoid moved the internal switch independently.

This subject always amazes me. I'm probably one of the oldest persons on this site. I've lived through crystal sets, vacuum tubes, transistors, integrated circuits, telephones the size of a WWI walkie-talkie to flip phones to smart phones. Black and white TVs the size of a pie plate to 25 inch color sets, to 55 inch smart TVs. From the typewriter to the word processor. From manual transmissions to automatic. Of all the changes I've seen in these many years the 'knob' to switch the power direction of a motor vehicle is probably the most logical advancement and the one that absolutely fails to bother me.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 007154 miles.

jkratze1

Reaction score

Yep. I do this all the time and it is very cool. I am learning bad habits thanks to Ram.

cjmst23

Reaction score
Way better than the GM steering column shifter (circa 1986).

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Way better than the GM steering column shifter (circa 1986).

Which reminds me, I've owned three automatic transmission vehicles with mechanical linkages that gave me trouble.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 007154 miles.

cjmst23

Reaction score
It's DEFINITELY here to stay....for FCA and the entire auto industry. Hell, even GM will catch up eventually!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online