5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should RAM ditch the knob shifter ?

Agitated

Reaction score
This is my first knob. I hate it. I know some people like it, and that's fine, I get it, but a month and a half into owning my ram, the knob still drives me nuts. Granted, after driving manual transmissions for 15ish years, my soul aches whenever there's only 2 pedals on the floor, but I grew used to the silverado's shifter on the column. When maneuvering in tight spaces, turning around in my driveway, etc, shifting between D and R was natural and I never had to give it a second thought. I still struggle with the knob.

Ehhhh, neutral is still between D and R, the shift pattern didn't change. If anything, shifting is faster and takes less effort with the knob. There's no need for a mechanical linkage anymore, and it's one more thing to go bad if it were there.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's also worth noting that it's not like Ford won't be along soon. The new expedition moved to a knob shifter but....they failed to gain any storage in return. I'm sure when the F150 is redesigned, they'll utilize a knob shifter and space it frees up.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Love it. 2016 F150 was by far my favorite vehicle and I was leery to trade it in. That paid off. Can't wait for the BedRug to get released and it'll be done. Tint and PPF goes on Friday.

I had tint put on today to match the rear windows. Bed cover and tint done, now just waiting for bedbug to come out. Really like the way the tint turned out, I'll put some pictures up tomorrow.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Love it. 2016 F150 was by far my favorite vehicle and I was leery to trade it in. That paid off. RAM is excellent. Can't wait for the BedRug to get released and it'll be done. Tint and PPF goes on Friday.

Sweet. I'm looking to do the Xpel PPT on the front bumper and hood I thing

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Local guy rough estimated about $600 for the two of those installed. I've never had it done myself but I've been told it's almost a must with the body colored bumper unless you want a ton of chip marks.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My F150 had the sport package (fully painted front end) and it was $1300. Bumper, Front 18" of hood and fenders, fender flares, grill, headlights, door sills, door edges and door handle cups, as well as tinting the front to match the rears.

Since the RAM has the chrome package I'm doing the same save for the grill and bumper. It'll right at $500 for PPF and tint.

Brandon

Reaction score
I like the knob "hockey puck" shifter. But when I get into my 04, there is something so truck like about the column shifter. But those "truck like" things also include rougher ride, leaf springs, 545RFE, and no insulation from outside noise. My 04 feels like a tank going down a dirt road compared to my 17. It's really great, but I don't have to drive it every day.

I love both trucks but I can't believe how different they are (even though most people see 2 black quad cabs and think they're the same despite the 13 year difference).

It'd be cool to have an option for a column shifter, but I can't complain about the knob when the transmission it comes with is that 8 speed.

Brandon

Reaction score
That's what I mean!

Anyone who really wants a column shifter can get a 4 gen with the 6 speed auto.

Spent all this time modding my 3rd gen to make it faster, then buy a stock 4th gen 8 speed and it is faster. Procharger for the 3rd gen? New engine? Or maybe an 8 speed swap! Lol

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did not like my 17's Ram shift knob but the 19's knob is much better have groves for your fingers and transfer to drive positions smoother. Feels more sturdy.

Users who are viewing this thread