5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should RAM ditch the knob shifter ?

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally I don’t think it makes a difference between a lever and a knob, but I’ve had multiple people tell me it’s turn off and I see their point. A truck should have a lever.
The knob is more ideal for cars,

Anyone here if you have high connections
Let them know

2020 should be the return of the lever
I like the dial shifter. It's different.

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
My 14 F150 was a Center Console, My Truck prior to That one was 02 Frontier with a Center Console, and I've driven trucks with the Lever,

My .2c which isn't worth much,

The Knob took some getting used, and in SOME applications (When I was playing off road and got stuck a bit) it can be a bit weird feeling to reach forward and rotate the knob BUT after a few months with this truck I'm used to it by now, And like it, Lever's on the Column just feel antiquated and look antiquated to me (I know they work all the same just saying) and the Center Console Shifter takes up some space and I love the sheer cargo room in this truck's cab.

(I will say I do miss having a place to rest my wrist but I guess the Elbow rest will work just as well or on my drink if I have one)

molonlabe

Reaction score
I strongly prefer the knob but I can live with a column shifter. A console shifter would be a no-go.

JustinHEMI

Reaction score
For an all electronic shifter, the knob makes perfect sense. A console shifter would be a waste of space and column shifter would be silly for a non-mechanical shifter. Keep the knob. It was easy to get used to.

This. I'd never want to go back to any other type of shifter.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
Well, coming from a F150 platinum with the console shift i still miss the shifter. It's the only thing i miss from my f150

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone driven a Benz? My brother has one and I hate it lol that little lever I feel like I’m going to break it every time I drive it. Push to park gets me every time!
YES! Owned one and it was weird getting used to. Then when I drove my Hyundai Azera, I'd back down the driveway and turn on the wipers every time reflexively trying to put it in Drive.

I'm still getting used to the knob, but it is out of the way.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, coming from a F150 platinum with the console shift i still miss the shifter. It's the only thing i miss from my f150

Seeing the new Expedition uses a knob, I can see Ford making the switch to a knob in the F-150 in the coming years.

Lettika

Reaction score
The knob is a prime example of the "feeling" that helped me lock down buying the Ram. I work in design and I can tell that effort was made all over this truck to make things useful. That especially applies to space. Look at the interior of a high end boat or RV and you can see that nothing is wasted. This truck appears to be the same and the designers clearly were not bound by how their grandfathers truck was laid out or where the controls were. Kudo's to the designers on this project. If you don't like changes like this buy an old truck, there are plenty out there.

molonlabe

Reaction score
YES! Owned one and it was weird getting used to. Then when I drove my Hyundai Azera, I'd back down the driveway and turn on the wipers every time reflexively trying to put it in Drive.

I'm still getting used to the knob, but it is out of the way.

I found the MB stalk to be a lot harder to get used to than the knob. It's serviceable but much inferior to the knob. I'm used to it now but I would prefer something a little more old school for a column mounted shifter in a truck.

I'm glad Ram stuck by the knob. I remember when it was first unveiled and it did not go over well with a whole lot of Ram owners. Now it's pretty rare to find someone who has had one for awhile and still hates it.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The knob on the dash gets my vote. Now if it were on the console as it was in the Durango for a few model years i’d say heck no.

The added weighted feel of the selector is much nicer than in the 4th Gen. It feels more robust and upscale now.

NHREBEL2

Reaction score
Three years and It's still my least favorite part of the truck. Not sure what it is but its not comfortable, maybe I'm a clockwise to PARK guy.
I miss the console shifter with the thumb toggle to turn MDS off too. The new steering wheel +/- is better but paddle shifters should be an option.
I will say the second gen knob is much better and didn't keep me from getting a '19.

RiverRacerX

Reaction score
I love it! Had it on my Durango as well (but in the console). It's much better than a column or console shifter!!

Brady_SS

Reaction score
Since having a third pedal and a floor mounted manual is out, I'll take the knob. I've had column and console mounted shifters many times and still think the knob is the best for function and space. My wife's Acura MDX has push buttons which are confusing at times and mounted in the console so they take up as much room as a shifter would have.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I like the knob. Way better than a consoler shifter, for sure, but my favorite by far is the column mounted shifter I had on my Mercedes.
It's electric and I could shift with my hand on the wheel just using the middle finger. Super fast and intuitive.

Users who are viewing this thread