5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should RAM ditch the knob shifter ?

TempleOS

Reaction score
Personally I don’t think it makes a difference between a lever and a knob, but I’ve had multiple people tell me it’s turn off and I see their point. A truck should have a lever.
The knob is more ideal for cars,

Anyone here if you have high connections
Let them know

2020 should be the return of the lever

FLG8R

Reaction score
Count me as in favor of the knob. Eliminates clutter and something your arm/hand can bump up against. Also, I could give a rats behind what someone else thinks about my truck. Its usually petty jealousy on their part because their truck don't have one. Feel free to think F150.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
lololol. I'm new to the knob and I actually love it (yikes). I sort of look at the F150 as a waste of space and dinosaur now. The knob feels very high end, metal feels significant. I never have an issue switching gears, but I do come from a 15 Overland that would run you over if you blinked, at least that's what the media said.

202snowman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm coming from a 2014 Durango that has the knob and I like the amount of space it frees up...once you take the 15 minutes to get used to it, I've never had a problem and can jump into any car with one and feel comfortable.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought the knob was goofy, until I bought my Ram. I like the space it frees up and it's easy to use. I hate column shifters and anything with that is an instant no go for me. I've traditionally liked console shifters and still really did in the Challenger I just reviewed but for a truck the extra space the knob frees up is nice.

immersivenc

Reaction score
I was one who was against the knob at first. The realization that it frees up some space in the center area and the fact that all these shifters are electronic anyway invalidates the claim that a “real shifter” would in any way be more reliable or more durable.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
I always find it funny how frail the ego's are of those who are against the knob. There are literally zero downsides to having the knob over any other conventional shifter. The amount of free space and usability made available is a case enough.

nerdrock

Reaction score
This is my first knob. I hate it. I know some people like it, and that's fine, I get it, but a month and a half into owning my ram, the knob still drives me nuts. Granted, after driving manual transmissions for 15ish years, my soul aches whenever there's only 2 pedals on the floor, but I grew used to the silverado's shifter on the column. When maneuvering in tight spaces, turning around in my driveway, etc, shifting between D and R was natural and I never had to give it a second thought. I still struggle with the knob.

FLG8R

Reaction score
Personally I don’t think it makes a difference between a lever and a knob, but I’ve had multiple people tell me it’s turn off and I see their point. A truck should have a lever.
The knob is more ideal for cars,

Anyone here if you have high connections
Let them know

2020 should be the return of the lever
Thanks for your post. Just in case Ram was listening to the critics and considered removing the knob they now have heard from the owners and most likely realize there will be hell to pay if they do remove it.

D

Deleted member103

Thanks for your post. Just in case Ram was listening to the critics and considered removing the knob they now have heard from the owners and most likely realize there will be hell to pay if they do remove it.

Knobs not going away anytime soon, IMO, . . . for 1, look at how much room not having a lever opens up the CC for the GREAT DT CC version !
Putting a lever somewhere else -- say like where the knob is now, yuck . . . look at the trucks / vans that DO !
Now I'm wondering, what if . . . what if my G.C. - the 2016 with the revised shifter - had the knob, like the Durango, again IMO, yuck ! Located on the CC makes no sense because it did NOTHING to Improve the esthetics or function of IT ! I do like my G.C. revised CC shifter, but what if JEEP had put a knob similar to the design & location of the DT ? It would take some getting used to, but, hey that's progress / tech. moving forward, and the G.C. console would be Awesome !

Think I'll leave it there . ;)

Users who are viewing this thread