5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should RAM ditch the knob shifter ?

John813

Reaction score
I prefer the location of the Ram knob over the Durango knob. The knob feels better on the dash than on the center console area.

Gotten used to it after a few weeks of ownership

Jaysond

Reaction score
I didn't think I'd like it either, but I'm getting used to it after 1,200 miles now., kinda like it actually. It's less "work" to turn the knob than the arm motion needed to shift the column mounted lever, so once completely used to it, I'm thinking going back to a lever would seem like a bother.

A cool feature that someone who has never used the knob wouldn't know - - when you come to a stop at your destination, you can simply hit the stop/start button; the gear shift knob will turn itself to Park for you, as if it's designed to be done that way. Maybe this isn't recommended or something, but it works just fine & seems to be completely safe.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't think I'd like it either, but I'm getting used to it after 1,200 miles now., kinda like it actually. It's less "work" to turn the knob than the arm motion needed to shift the column mounted lever, so once completely used to it, I'm thinking going back to a lever would seem like a bother.

A cool feature that someone who has never used the knob wouldn't know - - when you come to a stop at your destination, you can simply hit the stop/start button; the gear shift knob will turn itself to Park for you, as if it's designed to be done that way. Maybe this isn't recommended or something, but it works just fine & seems to be completely safe.
Not sure if thats just a safety feature or a leisure feature. Might wanna look into that before you continue to do that

nerdrock

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've been without my truck for 16 days now thanks to this faulty shifter. I'm a reasonable person, but I'm starting to get impatient. The shifter's expected arrival was pushed back AGAIN to Monday the 23rd, and yet I still haven't heard from the dealership. I have this monthly lease payment due soon that I'm paying for a damn <Truck>, so I can do <Truck Things>... not for a used Durango.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I've been without my truck for 16 days now thanks to this faulty shifter. I'm a reasonable person, but I'm starting to get impatient. The shifter's expected arrival was pushed back AGAIN to Monday the 23rd, and yet I still haven't heard from the dealership. I have this monthly lease payment due soon that I'm paying for a damn <Truck>, so I can do <Truck Things>... not for a used Durango.
I don’t mind the way it works at all, simple and worlds better than the Grand Cherokee bump shifter experiment they tried and tossed in ‘16 after it killed someone... but the shifter knob is one of the MOST important controls of the truck, along with brakes steering wheel and gas, so it needs to be friggin BULLETPROOF. Sorry for the probs @nerdrock hope they fix it and fix it good.

nerdrock

Reaction score
I don’t mind the way it works at all, simple and worlds better than the Grand Cherokee bump shifter experiment they tried and tossed in ‘16 after it killed someone... but the shifter knob is one of the MOST important controls of the truck, along with brakes steering wheel and gas, so it needs to be friggin BULLETPROOF. Sorry for the probs @nerdrock hope they fix it and fix it good.

Exactly. The quality of the experience in the Ram's shifter was better than I'm currently experiencing in the Durango at least. But in both vehicles, the knob feels a little flimsy.

Edit : Just called the dealer. Again. GUESS WHAT SHIFTER WAS PUSHED BACK AGAIN MAYBE IT'LL BE IN THURSDAY. Yeah I'm sure. Service manager told me "Yeah I asked to pull a shifter from a new Ram on the lot for you but they wouldn't let me". While I appreciate the candidness of Service Manager's response, all that did was make me pissed off at the dealer.

Last edited:

habfan

Reaction score
Just a quick note for those of us who ordered the white trucks. After a while the film edge will show more and more as dirt gets trapped there. According to the shop where I get my tint done (he does work for several new car dealers for many years now) you can prolong the time before the line is visible by keeping the truck clean all the time but eventually you will end up with a black line along the edge of your nice white vehicle.

So what’s the effect if you get a black truck? Would it get a grey line?

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep the knob! Just look at the center console in the 19 Ram and the huge space it opens up by not having a console shifter. Column shift? Definitely not.

I really like the knob in my 4th gen Ram and don’t like the other options out there.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep the knob! Just look at the center console in the 19 Ram and the huge space it opens up by not having a console shifter. Column shift? Definitely not.

I really like the knob in my 4th gen Ram and don’t like the other options out there.
If you like the 4th gen you would love the 5th gen it’s a huge upgrade and smoother turning and has grooves for your fingers etc

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No. I like it. Frees up console room as well as the column not having some big arm in the way. Its going to be the new way.

Spe1996

Reaction score
For all that would like a console or column mounted shifter would you want it if it required you go with a floor mounted transfer case lever?

I am sure similar discussions were had when manufacturers went to push button transfer cases on half tons and smaller trucks. Now even the HD trucks use push button transfer cases. Levers our out, knobs and buttons are in.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is the one feature that doesn't excite me at all. I didn't like it on the 18 I test drove last year or on the Durango I tested a couple years ago. For me it was just a straight feel issue. I preferred something more substantial than a little dial. I'm hoping it grows on me once I actually buy a new RAM later this year. From everyone's comments, I'm sure it will. Either way, it won't be a deal breaker.

Boatjockey

Reaction score
So what’s the effect if you get a black truck? Would it get a grey line?
You would barely notice it but as some others have brought up, after a while (months or years) your paint would fade unevenly. If you ever had to remove the film, you would end up with a large part of your hood faded differently from the covered part. On a black vehicle that would be very noticeable.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You would barely notice it but as some others have brought up, after a while (months or years) your paint would fade unevenly. If you ever had to remove the film, you would end up with a large part of your hood faded differently from the covered part. On a black vehicle that would be very noticeable.
Sounds like I will just hand wax my truck

RT70808

Reaction score
Buttons and knobs, next thing you know it will be your fingerprint like your iPhone and you have to enroll at the dealer to drive off the lot. Personally I like the knob, I had the silly bump shifter and my grand Cherokee and my Charger. There were a few times where I revved the engine and didn’t go anywhere because I bumped to too much or too little. I think the knob has a natural feel to it. +1 for the knob!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally I don’t think it makes a difference between a lever and a knob, but I’ve had multiple people tell me it’s turn off and I see their point. A truck should have a lever.
The knob is more ideal for cars,

Anyone here if you have high connections
Let them know

2020 should be the return of the lever

Humans can be strange things. I'm old enough to remember cars and trucks before there was an automatic transmission and how so many people swore they never own one of those newfangled things. How is it that many have adapted to computers, digital televisions, iPads, joysticks, digital watches, cell phones, microwave ovens, online ordering, Facebook and Twitter, but are having a hard time with a knob on the dash to select a gear? I guess I'm too old to have my manhood intimidated by the presence of a knob shifter. Took me a little while to get use to it, but I find it far more convenient to use and appreciate the lack of an obtrusive metal shaft sticking out of my steering column. I think we'll find that with the option of more cogs in a transmission the knob is a far less complicated and expensive way to execute shifting.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 001866 miles.

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
I'd prefer a floor shift manually personally.

But since that's not going to happen you may as well go knob, as everyone says it frees up space and it's not like you are using it much (unlike a manual transmission). 7 on the tree might be amusing though.. but then again one of my vehicles I have to double clutch (non synchronous 1st and 2nd gears), so I'm anachronistic anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread