5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should RAM ditch the knob shifter ?

jkratze1

Reaction score
The 2020 Ford Explorer is going with a knob shifter on the center console. I like Ford's approach to putting the knob on the center console instead of the dash.

Last edited:
M

Mdegen93

In surprised the 2500’s and 3500’s are still a console shifter

Truckin

Reaction score
When I bought my first Ram-which is the 16' I drive while waiting for my 19' to arrive, I hated the knob (coming from various Ford F150's) but now I love the extra space it gives in the console...I do however like 'The Look' of a console shifter...

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In surprised the 2500’s and 3500’s are still a console shifter

I know the gas 2500 is getting the knob shifter this year. The deisels still have a column shift I'm guess because of the transmission's those trucks have.

Jackham

Reaction score
The 2020 Ford Explorer is going with a knob shifter on the center console. I like Ford's approach to putting the knob on the center console instead of the dash.
Yep so you can accidentally hit it and take off. No thanks. I like it up and out of the way. I think the knob gives it a more sophisticated look.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just rode in a friends brand new expedition this week, it too has a knob...but it's mounted on top of the console. Hope he never spills his drink.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The knob on the dash free's up space, that's the whole point. If it were on the center console, you may as well just have the shifter sticking out...

Personally, I like the knob, although the only thing I dislike is manual shifting while driving. I liked having the center console shifter in my Tundra for that particular reason. Also, it took a good couple weeks to get comfortable not having the shifter to rest my hand on while driving. That's probably the most noticeable difference is going to lay your hand somewhere and it just falling into the cup holder, lol.

naz

Reaction score
I have a 03 ram I tried a 2019 limited jumped in turned the knob to D and drove off no problem. Came back to the dealership and put in R and backed up no problem. Some people can adjust some can't

acat

Reaction score
Depends on if the transmission is shifting by wire, most zf should, just like the bimmers 3 plus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had tint put on today to match the rear windows. Bed cover and tint done, now just waiting for bedbug to come out. Really like the way the tint turned out, I'll put some pictures up tomorrow.
What tint percentage was it to match the back windows?

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
Love the knob, took me 2-3 tries of backing up and pulling out of my driveway but its 2nd nature now

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I turned the radio down once or twice trying to put it in Park when I first got it!! Now I'm used to it and I like it just fine.

klail

Reaction score
Just rode in a friends brand new expedition this week, it too has a knob...but it's mounted on top of the console. Hope he never spills his drink.
I just rode in one over the weeekend and noticed the knob too. I think all trucks will go to the knob in the future.

Some people say they like the shifter in the F150 because it feels more like a truck. My Camry had the same shifter. The only one that still feels like a truck is the Silverado and Sierra. Yes, they still feel like trucks but they also feel old fashioned compared to the knob.

wwalljr

Reaction score
I thought it was kind of tacky at first, but after owning this truck for a few weeks, I say keep it. It does save a lot of space in the center console area.

cspillman

Reaction score
I will not buy a RAM or any vehicle with a knob shifter and I've heard the same from a few friends. I'd get a pacifica if I wanted that. Please....let a console shifter be an option. Color matched rear view mirrors, or brushed, no metal LIMITED on armrest (burned arm on it when test driving" and ditch the stiching swirls on door, dash and center console and you'd literally own the market. I want one of these trucks so bad.... I have a '15 jeep grand cherokee and LOVE IT...but need more towing capability. I'm being pushed to an f150 limited for just these reasons but it isn't what I want.
I appreciate hearing how many of you guys like the knob but I don't think there would be a forum saying they wouldn't buy this truck if it had a console shifter.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I will not buy a RAM or any vehicle with a knob shifter and I've heard the same from a few friends. I'd get a pacifica if I wanted that. Please....let a console shifter be an option. Color matched rear view mirrors, or brushed, no metal LIMITED on armrest (burned arm on it when test driving" and ditch the stiching swirls on door, dash and center console and you'd literally own the market. I want one of these trucks so bad.... I have a '15 jeep grand cherokee and LOVE IT...but need more towing capability. I'm being pushed to an f150 limited for just these reasons but it isn't what I want.
I appreciate hearing how many of you guys like the knob but I don't think there would be a forum saying they wouldn't buy this truck if it had a console shifter.
I really like the knob. Frees up a lot of space. If you want to tow, and want a shifter, the 2500/3500s have them...

Cheers

wahudiditagain

Reaction score
I was one who was against the knob at first. The realization that it frees up some space in the center area and the fact that all these shifters are electronic anyway invalidates the claim that a “real shifter” would in any way be more reliable or more durable.

This says it all. Now that I have it I don't know why everyone doesn't do it this way.

trixdesigns

Reaction score
It’s not going anywhere. You can always change those other things out, just costs $

I hear Nissan makes a “Truck”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not sure what the reason(s) are for not liking a knob shifter, but I suspect they're not practical reasons. With the increasing amount of cogs in the newer transmissions it becomes more difficult to design a column shifter that covers all the gears with solid detents, perhaps less so with a console shift.

Frankly, I would not be surprised that column shifts will be going away. They complicate the steering column design and take up room. At some point column shifters may impact safety standards.

It took me a few weeks to get use to the knob shifter, but now I find it much more convenient. I would never want to go back.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Silver Billet Laramie, Quad Cab, 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 18 inch wheels, now at 015181 miles

Users who are viewing this thread