5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should RAM ditch the knob shifter ?

jessed1

Reaction score
I really don't get all the angst over the knob.

Over the years I've had sedans, SUVs, and vans with console shifters, column shifters, push buttons, and now the knob.

It literally took me 2-3 days to get used to the knob and I now prefer it over all the other shifting mechanisms I've used. I can count on one hand the number of times I've either missed a shift to R/P or confused it with the volume knob over the three years I've had this truck.
My only issue, half the time I'm still turning up the radio when I go to put it in drive... and had since July 1. Ok, half the time is a wee bit of an exaggeration - it normally trips me up if I'm adjusting the climate, adjusting the radio, and getting ready to drive. Too many knobs

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My only issue, half the time I'm still turning up the radio when I go to put it in drive... and had since July 1. Ok, half the time is a wee bit of an exaggeration - it normally trips me up if I'm adjusting the climate, adjusting the radio, and getting ready to drive. Too many knobs
Yeah, with the 8.4" screen it is knob overload. :LOL:

Airsickace

Reaction score
Shifting the truck into neutral on icy roads when you need to stop in a short distance removes power from the wheels instantly and helps me a lot. It used to be muscle memory to hit up on the console shifter in my other truck. I am almost there with the knob. Even with that said the knob is growing on me, I think its cool.

Kaderast

Reaction score
I love the knob shifter. My wife got a 2018 Durango a few years back with the knob shifter and push button start.....I was originally very skeptical of those two items, but now with it on both vehicles I think any other shifter is just wasted space, and the thought of having to dig my keys out of my pocket to start a vehicle sounds ridiculous.

Was also thinking recently that our 13 year old daughter will be learning to drive in the next few years. She will likely think those two features are just normal. Crazy how fast the world is advancing right now. So many things are becoming completely obsolete in the span of a single generation. However, I fully intend to teach her to change her own oil, and will take her to work to learn to drive a manual on some old beater ranch trucks.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took me a bit to get used to, but I have no complaints about it. That said, I’d still like the floorboard foot press brights. Oh, and three on the tree.
I wonder if there is an after market to change the bright light switch? I’m with you!

Users who are viewing this thread