5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOCKING: Meet The All-New Ram 1500 REV Battery-Electric Pickup!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This scare tactic for EV’s is getting old. There are plenty of current (i.e., late model) ICE vehicles that are prone to catching fire. Here’s one example from February of this year. And my wife’s 2021 Lincoln Navigator had a similar recall.

View attachment 166801
All the scare tactics against EVs are getting old. it's just if krsnt people parroting what they see on social media without actually verifying the information. Just like the video posted above where the guy was talking about cost to charge vs cost to fill gas tank and the junbwr he was using were skewed to favor the ICE vehicle.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This scare tactic for EV’s is getting old. There are plenty of current (i.e., late model) ICE vehicles that are prone to catching fire. Here’s one example from February of this year. And my wife’s 2021 Lincoln Navigator had a similar recall.

View attachment 166801
And that’s only one of the two recalls on the same years and models of HD Rams that can cause a fire. The one you posted about is for the grid heater relay. The other is the 68RFE trans fluid expelling out of the dipstick onto the turbo and catching the engine compartment on fire.
This just happened a few weeks ago to a member on the sister site HDRams forum. Oddly enough, it didn’t make any news headlines…

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Remember when ford cards and trucks use to spontaneously combust? I think this was in the 2000’s.

Im sure there will be EV recalls and redesigns for issues as well. I don’t think we’ll here about them much on the news tho.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Remember when ford cards and trucks use to spontaneously combust? I think this was in the 2000’s.

Im sure there will be EV recalls and redesigns for issues as well. I don’t think we’ll here about them much on the news tho.
If it has to do with EVs, it will be all over the news

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If it has to do with EVs, it will be all over the news
I hope you’re right and It should be. I’m thinking letters may quietly be sent to owners, and the media would be instructed not to run the stories, since this could deter customers and inhibit the green agenda.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hope you’re right and It should be. I’m thinking letters may quietly be sent to owners, and the media would be instructed not to run the stories, since this could deter customers and inhibit the green agenda.
If it's Tesla, it most definitely would be on news, as even the pro EV people in Washington don't like Musk or anything he owns.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Ya, he was their darling until he moved the plant from Comifornia to a business friendly State, then compounded it by exposing Twitter.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's just a matter of adding another circuit from fuse panel to the charging station.

As if that were a trivial thing. I assume we're talking about level 2 charging which needs at least a 25 Amp 240 Volt circuit, and can go up to 80 Amps to fully implement the standard. I believe 50 Amps is the most common installation, and most residences have 200 or 225 Amp service, so adding another 20% to 25% is not insignificant. Neither is the cost, wire alone will cost a couple hundred $$ for a short run. Add a bunch more if you have to trench to a detached garage. And for older homes or apartments that have 100 Amp service, the cost gets crazy real fast. You're going to need to upgrade the service then change out the fuse or breaker panel and maybe re-do some of the other circuits too. Before you know it, you're well over $10K just to overnight charge an electric car, and that much cash would buy a whole lot of petrol.

I believe Tesla, at least they used to, included the installation of the home charger in the purchase of the car.

What's your source? I've not heard of anything like that, and I bet there would be severe limitations on what they are willing to do. Like maybe if you run the wire, they'll mount their box and connect it?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As if that were a trivial thing. I assume we're talking about level 2 charging which needs at least a 25 Amp 240 Volt circuit, and can go up to 80 Amps to fully implement the standard. I believe 50 Amps is the most common installation, and most residences have 200 or 225 Amp service, so adding another 20% to 25% is not insignificant. Neither is the cost, wire alone will cost a couple hundred $$ for a short run. Add a bunch more if you have to trench to a detached garage. And for older homes or apartments that have 100 Amp service, the cost gets crazy real fast. You're going to need to upgrade the service then change out the fuse or breaker panel and maybe re-do some of the other circuits too. Before you know it, you're well over $10K just to overnight charge an electric car, and that much cash would buy a whole lot of petrol.

What's your source? I've not heard of anything like that, and I bet there would be severe limitations on what they are willing to do. Like maybe if you run the wire, they'll mount their box and connect it?
Love it when people always go directly to worst case scenario to distract from the norm.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Right!

Thank god I'm handy. Life has got to be absolute hell if you're useless.
Luckily, I have friends who are electricians. I could do it myself, but would rather make sure it was done by code. And I'm too lazy to look up the code. Had a buddy add a sub panel in my basement and wire up new outlets and lights when I was finishing it. Having the sub panel in basement will make adding more circuits easier in future than fishing wire in from garage.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty sure it was less than $100 to do my brother in law's. Not sure what it's called, but he bought the larger wall charger for 48amps charging.

When they bought their 3 and Y Tesla no longer included any charger. Pretty sure the wall charger was around $400, and the 40 amp plug to use with a 50amp recep was around $300.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My source is actually knowing about EVs. When Teslas were first released they included the charger as part of purchase price to ensure customers were able to charge their cars. Now if you don't believe it, prove me wrong

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Luckily, I have friends who are electricians. I could do it myself, but would rather make sure it was done by code. And I'm too lazy to look up the code. Had a buddy add a sub panel in my basement and wire up new outlets and lights when I was finishing it. Having the sub panel in basement will make adding more circuits easier in future than fishing wire in from garage.
I can change the end of a messed up extension cord like a champ.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My source is actually knowing about EVs. When Teslas were first released they included the charger as part of purchase price to ensure customers were able to charge their cars. Now if you don't believe it, prove me wrong
Tesla also said free supercharger charging, and that's not a thing anymore.

Solar panel loans and rebates are the same thing nothing like when they first started busting out on the scene, all the extras that appeared to make them worth it got yanked back as people started to buy.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love it when people always go directly to worst case scenario to distract from the norm.
Right!

Thank god I'm handy. Life has got to be absolute hell if you're useless.
the thing is I bet there are enough areas that fall in the worst case scenario to also be the norm and why it would pull away support for EV's
take my area for example - as per last census - population 84k - 23k homes in a 6.5 square mile area - 5 minutes from downtown L.A. - most homes built 1930's on old panels. I am sure a lot of the surrounding areas fall in the same situation
Single family homes are going away atleast in my area but if you are lucky to land one - its an expense that the new owner will likely have to account for or try to negotiate some sort of allowance.
Last I checked last year there were good rebates and such from the power company and city to help with certain cost but those sometimes run out and the state was going into a negative budget so who knows what still is available.

I am plenty handy and will touch, pluming, dry wall, structural, etc but like to stay away from electricity lol
But luckily I do have two friend electricians - one license and one not but I have seen their work ethics and for both are great.

I am in a good enough place to move into an EV but prefer to keep my v8 for now. When the time comes for me to go into an EV I would still prefer to stay on a truck and hopefully by then infrastructure will be better and cost comes to a more reasonable $

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Can't prove a negative. You made the assertion, and if you can't back it up I feel no need to do anything further.

If Tesla really does provide even a small part of the charger installation, it could be helpful for the marketplace in general to know about it. I'm not in the market right now but could be in a couple years depending on how things unfold. And FWIW, I have tentative plans to run a 50 Amp (or greater) line to the garage for just that purpose. Or maybe I'll just bury conduit and leave my options open. Gathering information, asking questions...

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can't prove a negative. You made the assertion, and if you can't back it up I feel no need to do anything further.

If Tesla really does provide even a small part of the charger installation, it could be helpful for the marketplace in general to know about it. I'm not in the market right now but could be in a couple years depending on how things unfold. And FWIW, I have tentative plans to run a 50 Amp (or greater) line to the garage for just that purpose. Or maybe I'll just bury conduit and leave my options open. Gathering information, asking questions...
Like I said, they used to, doesn't sound like they still do. Don't believe me, prove me wrong

Users who are viewing this thread