5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SHOCKING: Meet The All-New Ram 1500 REV Battery-Electric Pickup!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
ICE, (Internal Combustion Engine) is that the new term for gas powered engines, like Unhoused Individuals are actually homeless people, and undocumented workers are actually illegals that have sneaked into our country. Acronyms and cute little phrases sure help the liberals make their points. Give me a 426 Hemi any day rather than a electric car. ;)

I can just hear it now over the news broadcast, "An electrical compromised auto burned up a family of five last night, but the carbon footprint was minimal because they managed to save the environmentally friendly EV batteries from polluting the ground water, from the firefighters using water to put out the fire."
internal combustion engine isn't some new term. It's been around for decades. The o my difference is, in today's text savvy world, common phrases have been shortened to acronyms to make it quicker to communicate.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Electric "cars" and gasoline powered ICE "cars" have been around since the 1800's. Neither is in its infancy. Gasoline was and is easier to make available even in remote areas. It's affordable, although that's becoming less and less true. And replenishing the fuel supply is fast. It makes more sense to go with a liquid fuel than electricity for so many reasons. If electric cars were as convenient and practical there would have been more demand for them before now. Horse and buggy comparisons are ridiculous. It's nowhere near the same thing.

Eventually we will hopefully get there as far as charging stations go. But we're nowhere near there now or in the next 10 years. For now we can still purchase and drive ICE powered vehicles. And I'll continue to do so for as long as it makes sense for me. I seriously hope lawmakers and the courts in the near future come to their senses and pull back these mandates. Otherwise we may necessarily have to go back to the horse and buggy days or take up cycling and walking to get around, because the mayor/governor/president said not to charge your electric car that particular day in order to avoid a black out.
The first automobiles were actually electric driven. It was more cost effective to build at the time as gasoline and the engines to burn it were in their infancy. But gasoline refinement and advances in e fine building quickly surpassed the electric technology of the time. You want to talk about range limited, let's look at the first electric vehicles.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope they make the batteries in EVs swapable. I've seen in some countries they have electric scooters that can just go to a station and swap out their batteries and go. No recharging time.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Thats a great idea, and I think it exists in some Chinese EV's. But if my memory serves me well, and not of late, it was brought up as a solution to battery fires. Removing the battery from a car involved in an accident was the motive for such a feature.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I know how much you guys dislike this guy but he makes some good points in the first half of this video.

Not so much here but all I hear from others is how much cheaper electricity is than gas for vehicles especially with gas prices spiking in recent years. Those fooled into buying EV’s due to hype and not doing the research will be in for a very rude awakening.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I know how much you guys dislike this guy but he makes some good points in the first half of this video.

Not so much here but all I hear from others is how much cheaper electricity is than gas for vehicles especially with gas prices spiking in recent years. Those fooled into buying EV’s due to hype and not doing the research will be in for a very rude awakening.
Really, the same thing he is saying about public fast chargers and setting the rates they want are the same for gas stations. You make the drive along I40 through NM and AZ in the less populated areas where has stations are further apart, the prices are higher. Same for along I-80 through WY and UT. As more chargers become available, there will be pricing wars keeping rates down just like with gas stations close to each other. But public chargers are more about convenience than necessity for most EV owners who charge at home and just daily commute with it. The cost of electricity to charge at home is a lot cheaper than public chargers.

Also his math for the cost of fuel to drive 100 miles is on the very low end of fuel prices or the high end of gas mileage. I'd say the average car on the road gets 20-25mpg. Thats at least four gallons to drive 100 miles. Average price of fuel in US is over $3/gal. So that's $12 for 100 miles. His video said ~$10 for the average car. And electricity rates vary by location for home charging as well. You aren't being charged more at home to have a level 2 charger. And the power company doesn't know if you have your car plugged in, or if your A/C is running.

Last edited:

Jako

Reaction score
Really, the same thing he is saying about public fast chargers and setting the rates they want are the same for gas stations. You make the drive along I40 through NM and AZ in the less populated areas where has stations are further apart, the prices are higher. Same for along I-80 through WY and UT. As more chargers become available, there will be pricing wars keeping rates down just like with gas stations close to each other. But public chargers are more about convenience than necessity for most EV owners who charge at home and just daily commute with it. The cost of electricity to charge at home is a lot cheaper than public chargers.

Also his math for the cost of fuel to drive 100 miles is on the very low end of fuel prices or the high end of gas mileage. I'd say the average car on the road gets 20-25mpg. Thats at least four gallons to drive 100 miles. Average price of fuel in US is over $3/gal. So that's $12 for 100 miles. His video said ~$10 for the average car. And electricity rates vary by location for home charging as well. You aren't being charged more at home to have a level 2 charger. And the power company doesn't know if you have your car plugged in, or if your A/C is running.
National avg today $3.80

25.7 mpg

Interesting data, living in the NY/NJ metro area makes it very difficult to get the best mpg on any vehicle.

Don't even want to look at my electrical rates.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
National avg today $3.80

25.7 mpg

Interesting data, living in the NY/NJ metro area makes it very difficult to get the best mpg on any vehicle.

88oct at Sheetz has been $2.99/gal for the last two weeks.

I pay $0.16/Kw in NJ and $.09/Kw in PA.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
National avg today $3.80

25.7 mpg

So my numbers weren't far off and actually makes the price worse for gas using correct numbers.

irishwake63

Reaction score

SHOCKING: Meet The All-New Ram 1500 REV Battery-Electric Pickup!​

The First All-Electric Pickup From The Ram Brand...​

View attachment 151519

The Ram Truck brand has just made its biggest debut yet with the all-new Ram 1500 REV. This first battery-electric light-duty pickup truck will be featured later today during the Super Bowl in a 60-second commercial called “Premature Electrification”. While the styling isn’t as radical as the Ram Revolution Concept displayed last month, the production RAM REV is a more traditional-looking RAM truck sharing the current RAM 1500s cab and box sides.

my own opinion is with all the "electrical" issues of the present gas models why would I trust an all electric not to leave me stranded somewhere?

RVTRKN

Reaction score
You can bet the charging costs are artificially low for current costs. Its the Governments way of making it look better than it is. 5 years from now when there are more EV's and they feel that its irreversible going back to ICE, you can bet the costs are going to double and even triple when they start adding on taxes and other fees. Comifornia would be an example to go by, they would add on the costs of recycling and hazardous waist of batteries as well as the future costs of building more infrastructure for them.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can bet the charging costs are artificially low for current costs. Its the Governments way of making it look better than it is. 5 years from now when there are more EV's and they feel that its irreversible going back to ICE, you can bet the costs are going to double and even triple when they start adding on taxes and other fees. Comifornia would be an example to go by, they would add on the costs of recycling and hazardous waist of batteries as well as the future costs of building more infrastructure for them.
There will be additional taxes in EVs as they aren't getting the money from gas tax with them. I see it cominf as higher registration costs. Would be hard to increase electrical cost for all users, even those without EVs to compensate, and not going to get enough off public chargers to make up the difference.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The gov't has a plan for us, just trust them. You can bet as more people to jump on the band wagon, the charging prices will go up (maybe not so much at home). Maybe then gas will be $1 a gallon again when that happens. They are even supposed to introduce a mileage tax which will be calculated by your EV computer and charge you for how much you've driven. Not sure if it's been done yet tho.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't forget to factor in supply vs. demand. As people switch from petrol to electric, demand (and therefore cost) for electricity rises, while demand (and cost) for petrol falls. Taxes and subsidies can jack the market out of shape for awhile, but reality eventually rules.

Dewey

Reaction score
Where I live I’m completely surrounded by wind turbines and 500 acres of solar panels covering what was once prime farmland. It’s really sad to see. If you don’t live it every single day you have no idea how greedy these companies are. During that time my electric rates did nothing but rise despite all the extra “green energy” going into the power grid. Anybody thinks that going green and changing to EV’s is going to be all rainbows and unicorns is about to have a major reality check. It’s a business just like any other and with demand rising so goes the cost to purchase. Just like oil and we all know the world is nowhere near running out of that.

Last edited:

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It seems like states like yours don’t want people to own anything. Lease and rent for life, and never have any equity of your own. Guess it’s easier for the govt to control folks this way idk
some things sure but this one and others can be trace to money and greed, the previous city council in our district is on trial for corruption for real state development permits and special treatments.
less land use for parking equals more land for living space and more $ coming in
Same things happen on larger scales legally. Long as lobbying is legal, people with bigger pockets will have bigger control

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most new houses, as within the last 20+ years, have 240 "service" to the house, and any house with electric ranges or furnaces already have 240v service. It's just a matter of adding another circuit from fuse panel to the charging station. I believe Tesla, at least they used to, included the installation of the home charger in the purchase of the car.

As far as the fires, please tell me the percentage rates for EV fires compared to ICE vehicles. Don't worry, I will wait for some made up number, because there isn't anyone who has even tried to come up with it. Especially since the only ones you ever really see on the news are EVs.
One very significant confounding factor is that no one parses out the age of the EV fleet vs the age of the ICE fleet. You should never trust anyone's "EV vs ICE fires" data unless they have stated the average age of each fleet in addition to the number of vehicle fires per 100 vehicles in a given fleet (EV or ICE). I don't know the actual numbers, but clearly the EV fleet on average is far younger than the ICE fleet, which would be a significant factor in making ICE vehicles seem more fire-prone than EV vehicles (if that is even the case - I myself don't know).

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This scare tactic for EV’s is getting old. There are plenty of current (i.e., late model) ICE vehicles that are prone to catching fire. Here’s one example from February of this year. And my wife’s 2021 Lincoln Navigator had a similar recall.

1694054833414.png

Users who are viewing this thread