5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rough Downshifting Coming to a Stop

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I have an appointment next wednesday to have them look at this issue again and hopefully apply the February flash.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I have had mine flashed and the slop/bump is still there. Today I purchased a 16oz jar of anti-seize, so maybe this weekend I will get around to re-lubing the spline. Who would have thought you need to spend another $20 on lube that the factory wouldn't give you when you buy a $64,000 truck.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I have had mine flashed and the slop/bump is still there. Today I purchased a 16oz jar of anti-seize, so maybe this weekend I will get around to re-lubing the spline. Who would have thought you need to spend another $20 on lube that the factory wouldn't give you when you buy a $64,000 truck.
If it were that easy, I would've just done that and been done with it altogether by now. They use a rubber boot to seal the rear slip yoke that's the culprit, and it's sealed shut with those one-time use clamps. Could probably reuse the boot with those flathead type hose clamps if there's some large enough.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep us posted. Others have regreased their splines and the “bump” was only gone for a few hundred miles.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Keep us posted. Others have regreased their splines and the “bump” was only gone for a few hundred miles.
The dealer told me that they greased the shaft and re-learned the tranny, but as soon as i drove off the service department, i felt the kick again...
Do you guys think i need a new shaft too?

My1stHemi

Reaction score
My allotted time this weekend for truck went to a full detail wash and glass polish. Folks are in town next weekend.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Truck kept for almost 2 days and nothing was done.

Got the typical "Unable to replicate". Feb flash somehow didn't apply to my truck.

Ramcares supplied me with a case number but the rep is MIA and no help.

Business as usual. Nothing fixed and no help from RAM. Not surprised. But hey, this was my 3rd attempt. You know what that means :)

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Truck kept for almost 2 days and nothing was done.

Got the typical "Unable to replicate". Feb flash somehow didn't apply to my truck.

Ramcares supplied me with a case number but the rep is MIA and no help.

Business as usual. Nothing fixed and no help from RAM. Not surprised. But hey, this was my 3rd attempt. You know what that means :)
You need tall glass of rereshing lemon-aid

BacktheBlue00

Reaction score
Interestingly enough I took my truck in today for the same issue. Mind you I only purchased it in June, but it was used with a little less than 21k miles on it. So I get in talk to the service advisor about the flash, which he didn't see initially for whatever reason. But he was forthcoming with the issues they were having with the valve body going bad and needing to be replaced, even with some transmissions requiring replacement.

Anywho about 1.5 hours later he comes back and says the tech couldn't recreate the shifting and that he went to lunch and will try again after (probably meant he drove my truck to lunch, oh well).
Tech comes out about another 1-2 hours later and asked if I had towed anything. I told him a uhaul trailer and that was it. Shows me a printout that payload capacity had been exceeded. He wasn't able to tell me when that code was thrown, but obviously it was the previous owner/company. He proceeds to tell me the valve body was bad, the front pump seal busted, it was "losing pressure" and the fluid was almost black. It's being repaired under warranty and they provided a loaner vehicle. He's also doing the reflash just because.

The other strange thing that I noticed recently was one of the tires is wearing only on the outside, but it might be out of balance. The tires also appear as though they have a lot more than 25k miles on them, considering they're 60k mile treadlife. So the guy/company that was using the truck before me must've be hauling some heavy stuff to exceed the limit. Of course my particular truck is "only" rated for up to an 8900 lb trailer, and they may have thought it was good for the 3.92 gear ratio of 12k+ pounds. Here's to hoping this is the only thing they really did to harm the truck.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I suspect if my dealer can't reproduce a concern they don't even investigate further. My transmission could be destroying itself but we'll never know until it's fully crapped out because ram service in my area sucks.

I have only 3 dealers and they all seem to operate the same. None are very close to me, which also makes it hard to deal with.

The ram customer care called and was nothing more than a mouth piece for scripted bs. Just said to let them know if we want to investigate further. Ummmm, that was the point of me taking it in. It's all just very strange.

Going to file my lemon law papers next week. Will be curious if covid makes it easier or harder.

Joshohol

Reaction score
It means nothing. There has to be a documented problem at the dealer. Not something you say its doing that may or may not be normal. Lemon law doesn't apply. If you don't like it get a tuner and flash thr ecu an tcu like i did and its 100 times better

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

popcenator

Reaction score
It means nothing. There has to be a documented problem at the dealer. Not something you say its doing that may or may not be normal. Lemon law doesn't apply. If you don't like it get a tuner and flash thr ecu an tcu like i did and its 100 times better

This is my next step. I'm giving the dealership one more chance to fix my rough low speed shifting/clunking. When they don't, I'm reaching out to Jay for a tune. Nothing against the dealership, they've been willing to help, but I think it's in the programming and the dealership isn't going to be able to fix it anyway.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Joshohol

Reaction score
You don't even need a custom tune, the tuners have trans tunes loaded as well.

Rototerrier

Reaction score

I've lemoned an Audi and my first 2019 ram last year. My current ram is a replacement for the one I lemoned. I am quite sure I understand how lemon law works, you? I'm batting 2 for 2 in the last 12 months and going to shoot for a 3rd. And I've lemoned 2 vehicles prior to those 2. Not going to say I'm a pro, but I know my way around this lemon law thing. I refuse to be swindled by these vehicle manufacturers. They are producing crappy cars and I am holding their feet to the flames on it.

popcenator

Reaction score
You don't even need a custom tune, the tuners have trans tunes loaded as well.

If I'm going to tune, it's going to be with a custom tune. I had Jay's tune on my 2012 and I'll never tune without one of his again.

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m experiencing a condition where, while coming to a stop, the transmission shifts down pretty rough between all gears starting with about 4th gear, regardless of how light I am on the brakes. Then on takeoff, the engine seems to lunge the truck forward, despite trying to feather the gas pedal.

Truck is a 2019 Ram Big Horn 1500 DT Quad Cab with the 5.7 Hemi V8 VVT w/ eTorque.

@RamCares, can you please post a copy of TSB 21-005-19 Rev. B (or any newer superseding TSBs)? I have seen someone else mention this TSB for a similar issue and I think it may apply to my new truck. I have a due bill for a couple of items and I’d like to bring this issue up at the appointment as well. Thanks!

Do you also have sluggish acceleration from a standstill? Mine is in the shop now for your stated problem and craptastic slow acceleration seems to me it is clearly a programming problem but I can't figure what's to blame. ECM, trans or eTorque. Shifts are smooth, albeit delayed, 3-9 and 9-3. But it just seems the eTorque is not pulling its weight and Hemi is not stepping until about 3000 rpms bc it expects the electric motor to work. Also wondering if the calibrations are off for the upgrade 22" wheels vs standard 20's.

Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do you also have sluggish acceleration from a standstill? Mine is in the shop now for your stated problem and craptastic slow acceleration.seems to me it is clearly a programming problem but I can't figure what's to blame. ECM, trans or eTorque. Shifts are smooth, albeit delayed, 3-9 and 9-3. But amit just seems the eTorque is not pulling its weight and Hemi is not stepping until about 3000 rpms bc it expects the electric motor to work. Also wondering if the calibrations are off for the upgrade 22" wheels vs standard 20's.

Please do not hesitate to send us a private message if you are in need of any additional support while addressing this with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

popcenator

Reaction score
Do you also have sluggish acceleration from a standstill? Mine is in the shop now for your stated problem and craptastic slow acceleration.seems to me it is clearly a programming problem but I can't figure what's to blame. ECM, trans or eTorque. Shifts are smooth, albeit delayed, 3-9 and 9-3. But amit just seems the eTorque is not pulling its weight and Hemi is not stepping until about 3000 rpms bc it expects the electric motor to work. Also wondering if the calibrations are off for the upgrade 22" wheels vs standard 20's.
It's definitely the programming. I've had two of the TSB TCM/PCM updates applied and it shifts great for a couple weeks, but then falls back to sluggish rough shifting at low speeds, and the slight hesitation from a stop.

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am happy to report Maxine is driving like she should have the day I picked her up. As I suspected, the eTorque module was one of the modules needing update. My years of being a service advisor and engineer paid off. Well that and the tip off to the engine knocking everytime she started up.

So three (3) TSBs were performed : 08-017-20 (Hybrid Control Processor- Feb 6, 2020), 18-010-20 REV. A (Powertrain Control Module Updates-Aug 13, 2020), and 21-008-20 (Transmission Control Module Updates Feb 6, 2020). All relate specifically to eTorque Hemi 5.7.

I will put a few hundred miles on these to let it adapt to my driving and then report back. Then I will see if she gets silly with 4WD engaged.

Right off of the bat, she is immediately responsive from a standstill with light throttle. Have not nailed the pedal, but a good stab and she hustles. Haven't tried it without traction control as I don't want her learning bad habits early in the adaptive cycle .

She now goes into start stop mode smoothly like the YouTube videos sold me on. No lunging on start up or shudder when shutting off.

As I drive with the instant fuel economy display, I can see my around town will improve. Before the tune I would literally seen 1 and 2 miles per gallon every time I pulled away from a standstill until at least 20 MPH. Now, 3 to 6 MPG immediately and smooth upshifts. Still an ever so slight clunky upshift when I suddenly lift off the throttle, but I think it will learn itself out of that habit.

Lastly, she downshifts smoothly on her own under a slight uphill grade. A pleasant surprise that she did it without me even changing my pedal application but with making a fuss. A very welcome change to having to previously nail the throttle for a slow, delayed, hard and still unsatisfying downshift.

Attachments

• 15979726442165814696111788688275.jpg
    15979726442165814696111788688275.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 1597972704156470600054887490859.jpg
    1597972704156470600054887490859.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 15979727498146005884376199263240.jpg
    15979727498146005884376199263240.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread