5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rough Downshifting Coming to a Stop

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to disconnect the battery yet but I did disable hill assist and that made an 80% improvement which leads me to believe this is a software/calibration issue.
That's strange...hill assist has nothing to do with the transmission, only the brakes. Have researched the hill assist function?

My1stHemi

Reaction score
That makes sense, and no I had not researched the function beyond going into settings and turning it off. It honestly didn't seem as noticeable in my rig as compared to my wife's grand cherokee. Maybe it is the ECM adjusting or learning with the new software? I heard that can take a few hundred miles... Computers are great when they work.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That makes sense, and no I had not researched the function beyond going into settings and turning it off. It honestly didn't seem as noticeable in my rig as compared to my wife's grand cherokee. Maybe it is the ECM adjusting or learning with the new software? I heard that can take a few hundred miles... Computers are great when they work.
That's for sure. But I know when my Ram was downshifting kind of rough, the service techs installed a software update which helped a lot. The downshifts in this truck is still more pronounced than what I'm used to but I'm told is 8-speed designed to work this way to help with quick stops when needed...who knows.

tcutlip89

Reaction score
This is not a software problem, 100% defect in the drive shaft. RAM needs to admit the design flaw and issue a F'n recall. Of course they need a re-design 1st. I removed my drive shaft, greased up the rear sleeve area, was smooth as silk for about 5 days, then the grease dissipated again and the bump was back. People, don't waste your time taking it to the Stealership, they are clueless and useless. In which you will be without your truck for weeks for no reason. This is a manufacturing defect that needs to be ran up the ladder.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

tcutlip89

Reaction score
My new 2 week old 2020 does the same thing. Kind of worrisome on something I just purchased. Is there a tsb on tbe 2020s?
Drive shaft defect that RAM won't admit, not a software problem...so don't waste your time being without your truck with the useless Stealerships.

tcutlip89

Reaction score
Hi Evoking1230,

I'm sorry to hear this update. If you plan to continue addressing this with your dealer or you perhaps would be willing to obtain a second opinion, we would like to escalate your situation to a Case Manager which will provide the dealership and yourself with an individual who will review your concern, then assist you and the dealership in exhausting all available resources to have the concern addressed and resolved. We are just a PM away to get the process started.

Mark
RamCares
We are sick and tired of being without our truck for weeks, no one should waste their time at these clueless Dealership service centers. This is a defect in the drive shaft that needs to be addressed with a recall, this is not a software problem.

tcutlip89

Reaction score
I’ve had a slight hard downshift from 2nd to 1st since new. I’m currently at about 1,300 miles. It’s definitely tolerable and really not too bad compared to my previous 2017 Charger which shifted horribly. What I find weird is that if I come to a hard complete stop it doesn’t do it at all. But if I creep to a stop, it does it everytime.
Drive shaft defect, RAM needs to issue a recall.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
My drive shaft has been replaced, and greased twice. It's still doing it, attempt #4 now - dealer told me they've done everything FCA told them to do, and that I should contact FCA directly. This is shameful.

I also have the dreaded but common rear window surround crack...

I am so over this truck. I tried to be reasonable and not let this skew me from buying another FCA (or whatever they want to be called with the merger now) vehicle... but I don't think I will. I'm done with this. Should've learned after my 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
My drive shaft has been replaced, and greased twice. It's still doing it, attempt #4 now - dealer told me they've done everything FCA told them to do, and that I should contact FCA directly. This is shameful.

I am so over this truck. I tried to be reasonable and not let this skew me from buying another FCA (or whatever they want to be called with the merger now) vehicle... but I don't think I will. I'm done with this. Should've learned after my 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit.
Stellantis

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Does anyone else notice that this is temperature(ambient) related? From what I am reading, date of manufacture and mileage doesn't seem to be a determining factor. I bought my truck 9/28/19 and only noticed this issue as summer temps started rising. This morning was fairly cool(mid to upper 60's) and I didn't seem to have this issue for my entire commute. This would lead me to believe that the issue could indeed be driveshaft and the grease they used on a slip joint/spline? I haven't looked at the drive shaft yet but some have said that when they replace it, or grease it, that the problem goes away for a while.

On my third gen ram(2500 Cummins), I had a similar issue with with my steering shaft and a clunk that drove me nuts. During the winter I had no issue, then when summer hit, it was like I had a front end with 400k mi on it even though I had a fully built front end and built steering box.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Does anyone else notice that this is temperature(ambient) related? From what I am reading, date of manufacture and mileage doesn't seem to be a determining factor. I bought my truck 9/28/19 and only noticed this issue as summer temps started rising. This morning was fairly cool(mid to upper 60's) and I didn't seem to have this issue for my entire commute. This would lead me to believe that the issue could indeed be driveshaft and the grease they used on a slip joint/spline? I haven't looked at the drive shaft yet but some have said that when they replace it, or grease it, that the problem goes away for a while.

On my third gen ram(2500 Cummins), I had a similar issue with with my steering shaft and a clunk that drove me nuts. During the winter I had no issue, then when summer hit, it was like I had a front end with 400k mi on it even though I had a fully built front end and built steering box.
Yes, I noticed this as well. It was fine for most of winter and early spring, but as it got hot here in Virginia, it became noticeably worse.

recon15

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Hot as hell here in dallas. I went to Yellowstone for a week (lows in 40’s and highs in 70), no clunking for a week. Got back to fort worth and its a 105 heat wave and the absolute worst its ever been.

Charp

Reaction score
same here. Hopefully I'll be trading mine in by end of month.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Good info on the ambient temp, hopefully Ramcares can run this up to corporate.
I’ll ask my heavy equipment lubricants vendor if he has a recommendation. I know for hydraulic impact hammers used on our excavators that they run a special grease for high temps and pressures. It had copper in it if I remember correctly.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Good info on the ambient temp, hopefully Ramcares can run this up to corporate.
I’ll ask my heavy equipment lubricants vendor if he has a recommendation. I know for hydraulic impact hammers used on our excavators that they run a special grease for high temps and pressures. It had copper in it if I remember correctly.
That's not a bad idea. Copper anti-seize might be the ticket, and that stuff is fairly long lasting as well. I think another member here tried that and said he had no issues after. It's just a bit expensive for how much is likely needed for such an application.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
That's not a bad idea. Copper anti-seize might be the ticket, and that stuff is fairly long lasting as well. I think another member here tried that and said he had no issues after. It's just a bit expensive for how much is likely needed for such an application.
I was reading up on this last night and we are not the only consumers or brand suffering from this issue. It seems that anti-seize may be the ticket.

SDRebel2021

Reaction score

Yeah, I understand your frustration. I had a similar issue back in 2013 on my Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. It was a Hemi 5.7 and I was glad to get rid of it. They used to call this problem a "fish bite" on the Jeep forums in 2012-2013 cause it felt like a tug underneath the vehicle when the tranny (down)shifted. The problem was described as a "sudden surge when accelerating" or "bump/clunk in the driveline." Multiple TSB did not fix it. And it would only happen with Hemis - (3.6 Penstar Jeeps did not behave this way).

Users who are viewing this thread