5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rough Downshifting Coming to a Stop

popcenator

Reaction score
I wish you luck. These are the exact same experiences I had after receiving the two TSBs I did, but it didn't last. Hopefully yours sticks. I'm still trying to get into the dealership to get the latest done. There were two in February, both 4 or so days apart and they flashed the earlier one a couple months ago so I'm trying to get in to get the other.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wish you luck. These are the exact same experiences I had after receiving the two TSBs I did, but it didn't last. Hopefully yours sticks. I'm still trying to get into the dealership to get the latest done. There were two in February, both 4 or so days apart and they flashed the earlier one a couple months ago so I'm trying to get in to get the other.

I am inclined to think that the eTorque module is the middle and main culprit. Particularly as this is a revision programming that was just released. The trans and engine are probably both looking to the eTorque for various inputs and signals (which are either not coming or inaccurate) and therefore, it's not pulling its weight (literally) so then the engine and trans adapt around it. Prior to my update I found SOME moderate relief in the clunking by driving with the traction control off and in tow/haul mode. Even more normal perform resulted when I also knocked off the start/stop. I don't know how those strategies alter the eTorque, but my guess would be that they allow more juice to the Hemi and makes it less reliant on the eTorque for low end grunt. Like I mentioned earlier, I couldn't help but notice that the (presumably 87 octane) full tank of gas that the dealer gave me had the engine sounding like a diesel upon start up and feeling like one upon shut down. Even when I finally burned it out and added premium, the knock went away, but the crank was just a BIT too long before starting up and then it seemed as if the engine was OVER revving a few hundred RPM to make up for the delayed, slightly weak crank. Maybe that was the lurching because the eTorque motor wasn't giving enough torque off the line. *shrugging* Anyhow, I hope you can get in soon and it resolves your issue.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I am towing a travel trailer this week to go camping. Next Tuesday I have an appointment to have the truck inspected again. Ram cares is involved this time too. I’m just praying I don’t have issues this trip. It’s too bad I no longer have confidence in my truck. I really love this truck and I can’t imagine driving a Ford or GM option.
This will be attempt no.2 and I hope the last.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I've never had any issues while towing. It seems like the xtra weight/resistance overcomes whatever is bumping.

Let us know what ramcares does. All I got from them was a case number and a follow up call to repeat what the dealer said. Literally not help at all....in fact, just the opposite. They wasted my time with 2 phone calls and an email. But I pretty much knew that going into my last service visit. Kinda shame on me at this point.

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So update. Took a day trip out of the state yesterday to stretch her legs in new driving environment. County road where I kept her around 65 mph, with traffic lights every 10iles or so, serious up mountain interstate and finally into metro suburbia. It was HOT yesterday and we had the a/c going the whole time.

Observations: Engine had that heat soak low on power pulling the hills. Maybe I am use to my LS powered tuned Chevy's or my recently departed Volt. Once at our destination, it definitely had a heat soak issue or unresponsive eTorque. Delayed throttle response from standstill traffic light stops. Like 1-2 seconds then abrupt launch. At that time it started doing the old hard 2-1 downshifts at a few lights, but not as bad as before. It seemed like it caught itself and tried to correct itself a bit too late, softening the clunk slightly. After letting it sit and the evening coolness came, we took the drive back home. And the whole drive back? Zero problems.

Well, save for the climate controller deciding on it's own to start blowing freezing a/c on its own.

Last edited:

popcenator

Reaction score
For those still with some downshifting and upshifting issues, you might want to try this procedure (LINK>>Throttle pedal and TPS relearn)
Just reporting back that, despite my skepticism, I gave the second method a shot a few days ago. It did seem to help with the throttle delay. Things seem to be pretty well lined up now between the accelerator and the throttle body.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I tried it too, although I did just get a pedal commander. Sadly my bump is still there. We can rule out throttle signal in my case.

popcenator

Reaction score
I will admit though that I had my transmission adaptives reset at the dealership a couple weeks ago which also seemed to help. I still felt like there was a slight delay at times going up hill. So far I haven't had that since doing the procedure.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I finally was able(my schedule) to get my truck in to the dealership. I’m getting a new third brake light to fix the roof leak and today the tech also reflashed the computers and made updates to the transmission control module or something along those lines. Apparently it made the matter worse. They have a call in to FCA tech support. Dealer thinks it’s a mechanical fault in the transmission. Loaner car is a Jeep Cherokee. Lord I miss that hemi power.

Last edited:

Rototerrier

Reaction score
Well, you got farther than I did. Even having opened a case, all I got was the usual "we can't reproduce". I reproduce it every time I drive it, so it's a little frustrating.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
My truck with the 3.6L does this as well, the TCM has been flashed twice to no avail. I have an open case and I’m staying positive that FCA will help me through. Hang in there.

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone had their dealer check that the transmission fluid is at the proper level?

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I believe this has been linked before, but it's interesting to see(IMO) how difficult and costly it is to work on this transmission.
ZF 8HP series transmission fluid check

I saw that a few weeks ago, but like many people, I got so caught up into the electronic and technological aspects of the truck that I forgot about basic mechanical aspects of driveability diagnostic. And apparently so did the dealer "technicians" because all the paperwork shows that they simply plugged in the computer or searched TSBs. I recall seeing a post on here where someone who had an early 2019 reported that a dealer discovered their new truck was about 1 quart low. Low fluid would cause all of these problems (hanging first gear after throttle lift, delayed acceleration, clunking shifts, lunging with stop start and etc) if the converter and/or valve body is low. Pathetic that so much wasted money in diagnostic time and owner frustration could be caused by being too cheap to add a dipstick, poor assembly workers and poorly trained techs.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I just picked up my truck today, a week and a half later. The dealer forgot to change the third brake light and clean the headliner, so that's a frustrating fail considering its a 15-30min job and they had to special order the part. I asked for them to give me the part and I'll save everyone the time and I'll swap it myself. No. I'd have to buy the warrantied part from them to install it myself.

After many days of plugging in computers etc they have decided to replace the valve body which is 2-3 weeks out just for the part. I asked my service rep if they will replace the filter when they open the transmission, she said no. Who on God's green earth would rebuild an engine, for example, and reuse the oil filter? I guess some FCA bean-counter figures the risk is less than the cost of a new filter, but I would ask what is the cost of losing customer trust. My trust in this product and the support team is just about gone. I hate sounding like a negative Nancy but I thought I would share my experience if it can help anyone else having this issue who reads these posts.

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up my truck today, a week and a half later. The dealer forgot to change the third brake light and clean the headliner, so that's a frustrating fail considering its a 15-30min job and they had to special order the part. I asked for them to give me the part and I'll save everyone the time and I'll swap it myself. No. I'd have to buy the warrantied part from them to install it myself.

After many days of plugging in computers etc they have decided to replace the valve body which is 2-3 weeks out just for the part. I asked my service rep if they will replace the filter when they open the transmission, she said no. Who on God's green earth would rebuild an engine, for example, and reuse the oil filter? I guess some FCA bean-counter figures the risk is less than the cost of a new filter, but I would ask what is the cost of losing customer trust. My trust in this product and the support team is just about gone. I hate sounding like a negative Nancy but I thought I would share my experience if it can help anyone else having this issue who reads these posts.

I feel your pain. 3 warranty service visits within 2 months of purchase to my dealer with less than 2,000 miles currently on the truck and they STILL can't find the problem and not ONCE did someone do any physical good ol' fashioned hands-on diagnostic. I have wasted gas in my truck as well as their loaner as the dealer is about 15 miles away. And sadly, this is not one of the nicer dealers that always washes your car for a service. I will be taking it to a closer dealer who has already volunteered to open a ticket, keep the truck for up to 5 days while I have a loaner. I hope they are just as pro-active in the actual service bay. This is doubly frustrating bc I used to be a service mgr/advisor and I never let a customer leave feel like they were just a ticket.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I am reminded of a story one of my subcontractors once shared about his ownership experience with Land Rover. I won't go into the details but he had a number of issues with his LR3(go figure, it's British) but he said that the dealership always bent over backwards trying to fix the problems. What kept him as a loyal customer of notoriously unreliable brand was that 1. the vehicle was top of the class luxury and capability(like RAM), and 2. regardless of how many issues there were with the vehicle, he was treated like royalty: the loaner they gave him was a nicer model than what he drove, his rig was detailed after the service, he got free oil changes, etc. If there were problems, they made it right. Years ago I took my old Mercedes to the dealer for a few (expensive) oil changes, but I had a nice lounge to sit in, free latte's and my car was always washed. Exemplary customer service, where you are treated the same if you have a $150,000 car or a $5,000 car like mine.

I will ring the bell that FCA needs to step up their customer service if they want to retain customers or move into the "premium" market. I think about the new Grand Wagoneer coming out... $100k vehicle that will have dealer support that is suited to $25k vehicles. That may all read a bit elitist, but I think it's a fair appraisal of a mediocre dealership network that has definite room for improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread