5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
We had rain all day today. Truck is bone dry. Glad to see that and finally take the towel off the top of the back of the seats. My brake light was a big culprit and contributor to the leak. And I do think one corner was my old window. Glad to have this resolved I hope.

Srich321

Reaction score
Add me to the list..Ugh! Kiddo noticed leak yesterday getting wet in the rain.. 2 cracks in rear window frame in 2019 Ram Rebel. @RamCares .. sent a PM.. fingers and toes crossed

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Add me to the list..Ugh! Kiddo noticed leak yesterday getting wet in the rain.. 2 cracks in rear window frame in 2019 Ram Rebel. @RamCares .. sent a PM.. fingers and toes crossed
Thanks for reaching out to us! We look forward to assisting you via direct messaging!

Callie
Ram Cares

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well my replacement window now has cracks, ugh! I thought the updated part # would last a bit longer, however, It is not leaking so that is a plus and we here in CA have been getting hammered with rain for the last week and getting more this week.

I am still under the 3/36 warranty until June, so I wonder if Ram will replace it again if there are no leaks. I feel like it should be covered as there should not be visible cracks in the frame. :confused:

RamCares

Reaction score
Well my replacement window now has cracks, ugh! I thought the updated part # would last a bit longer, however, It is not leaking so that is a plus and we here in CA have been getting hammered with rain for the last week and getting more this week.

I am still under the 3/36 warranty until June, so I wonder if Ram will replace it again if there are no leaks. I feel like it should be covered as there should not be visible cracks in the frame. :confused:
Hey!

We'd be happy to look into this for you as well as put in a goodwill request if needed! If you're interested, please send us a DM!

Callie
Ram Cares

Tomphot

Reaction score
I had my rear window swapped out 2 weeks ago. At the dealer I asked if the new window was the same design as the old one. I was told yes. They said there is a huge class action going on about this and the they have not yet been sent any windows with a new design. I was told their guy who does the work puts extra sealer on it to help prevent leakage.

mdschadler

Reaction score
We are having light but steady rain this afternoon. Just got in the truck and happened to glance at the back seat. Leaking again. Or still leaking. It’s a 2020 but I’m at 41,500 miles. These warranty (and now out of warranty) issues are really getting old.

Attachments

• 6A609B0C-6663-4E28-BBA2-349DF58CEA59.jpeg
    6A609B0C-6663-4E28-BBA2-349DF58CEA59.jpeg
    128 KB · Views: 62

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We are having light but steady rain this afternoon. Just got in the truck and happened to glance at the back seat. Leaking again. Or still leaking. It’s a 2020 but I’m at 41,500 miles. These warranty (and now out of warranty) issues are really getting old.
I would pull the third brake light and inspect the seal.
Press down on the seal with your finger and if it is gummy or water-logged, it is bad.

RamCares

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you are experiencing this, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you end up addressing this with your local dealer, please let us know via PM. We'd be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process.

Callie
Ram Cares

1500Hokie

Reaction score
I finally got my rear window replaced two months after I saw the dealer under warranty at 35,000ish miles. It took quite a bit of follow up from @RamCares to get this far.

Now for the update. I took the truck through a carwash this morning and it leaks worse than before. It will be interesting to see how the dealer handles it this time... especially since I am at 39,000 miles now.
93dc9a53464f32f7e44e4498212b0566.jpg
c337d6afee62f27f759f6c07909b82b8.jpg
4b7f008e20aff334b89d09be12347c80.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I finally got my rear window replaced two months after I saw the dealer under warranty at 35,000ish miles. It took quite a bit of follow up from @RamCares to get this far.

Now for the update. I took the truck through a carwash this morning and it leaks worse than before. It will be interesting to see how the dealer handles it this time... especially since I am at 39,000 miles now.

Maybe the brake light is leaking too?

RamCares

Reaction score

Hey 1500Hokie,

We'd love to be able to continue to support you in this! Please direct message us when you reach back out to your dealer.

Callie
Ram Cares

joallen001

Reaction score
I am in shock the amount of people having the same issue and the dealerships & Ram just brush it under the rug. This was my first time owning a 2020 Ram so I got the maxcare unlimited mile warranty for 5 years. Sounded to me like this would basically cover everything when I purchased it. Dealer says it doesn't cover water leaks or glass. So convenient! I love the truck but it will probably be the last Ram if they don't stand behind customers. A friend of mine use to work for a dealership and said they all have good faith money they can use to make repairs.

Rebond

Reaction score
Another victim of the rear window and/or third brake light water leak.

2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn Night Edition with 6,700 miles. Noticed my passenger side top rear window had a trickle flowing down the inside after a drive in the rain last week.

ksauers

Reaction score
I have 2 cracks in mine and it is leaking water in as we speak since it is raining. I have a towel laid across the rear of the backseat. I am sure the water mixes really well with the e-torque battery back there.
the ,leak just destroyed my battery pack with a new window i'm looking at 5 grand

pensfan

Reaction score
Another victim of the rear window and/or third brake light water leak.

2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn Night Edition with 6,700 miles. Noticed my passenger side top rear window had a trickle flowing down the inside after a drive in the rain last week.
After 5 years of producing this body style, this problem should not even exist anymore. Then add the wind noise issues with recirc mode mentioned in a recengt thread on top of this. Meanwhile, my '16 Big Horn with only 62K miles is giving me a lot of trouble free miles. I have a Max Care Lifetime unlimited mileage warranty on it. At this point I will be hanging onto it for a long while. The new Rams have a nicer interior, but hat doesn't mean a thing if you are having multiple issues constantly.

Calvincoolidge

Reaction score
Purchased my 2020 Laramie Night Edition in November. Beautiful truck!...... Except, today I go out after a snow and hop in. my daughter says "daddy, where is all this water coming from?" look back and of course there are two cracks in the frame and two streams of water flowing in. incredible. I just switched jobs and used to have a company car, took a slightly reduced $ number for a high upside job that should ramp up by the end of this year, but for now things are tight (as they are for a lot of folks of course).. the feeling I had when i saw that was just such disgust and disappointment. I've owned many cars and trucks, never have i ever had water flowing inside when it rains or snows...

I am at 42,000 miles. am I totally SOL? How much does this damn issue cost to fix? Why are there recalls for issues with seemingly a couple hundred warranty claims when this seems to have so many and nothing? I am just so down after I have looked through some of this thread. I love the truck and was so excited to own it, but I don't exactly feel like throwing several thousand bucks at fixing this. Do I have any options?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Purchased my 2020 Laramie Night Edition in November. Beautiful truck!...... Except, today I go out after a snow and hop in. my daughter says "daddy, where is all this water coming from?" look back and of course there are two cracks in the frame and two streams of water flowing in. incredible. I just switched jobs and used to have a company car, took a slightly reduced $ number for a high upside job that should ramp up by the end of this year, but for now things are tight (as they are for a lot of folks of course).. the feeling I had when i saw that was just such disgust and disappointment. I've owned many cars and trucks, never have i ever had water flowing inside when it rains or snows...

I am at 42,000 miles. am I totally SOL? How much does this damn issue cost to fix? Why are there recalls for issues with seemingly a couple hundred warranty claims when this seems to have so many and nothing? I am just so down after I have looked through some of this thread. I love the truck and was so excited to own it, but I don't exactly feel like throwing several thousand bucks at fixing this. Do I have any options?

I would just buy a solid rear window and have your local glass shop install it. I think you can get one for $300-400... maybe a couple hundred to install. Done and no more leaks.

Calvincoolidge

Reaction score
Interesting.. would be disappointing to not have the power rear window I guess, but certainly better than a leak! and that's certainly a cheap fix! is this particularly an issue with the opening version of the rear window? and here comes a real dumb follow up to the dumb question I just posed... the window frame that is cracked on the inside, is that....part of the window that would be removed...and a new solid rear window would have a new frame/trim? man i wish I knew more about this stuff...that was so dumb it hurt to type

Users who are viewing this thread