5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window surround crack.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interesting.. would be disappointing to not have the power rear window I guess, but certainly better than a leak! and that's certainly a cheap fix! is this particularly an issue with the opening version of the rear window? and here comes a real dumb follow up to the dumb question I just posed... the window frame that is cracked on the inside, is that....part of the window that would be removed...and a new solid rear window would have a new frame/trim? man i wish I knew more about this stuff...that was so dumb it hurt to type

The rear slider has a plastic frame that is bonded to the glass. The solid rear window is 100% glass, like the windshield.

I would try to seal your rear window with flowable Permatex first. If that works, you're good to go. If not, the solid rear window is the next best step, IMO.

Calvincoolidge

Reaction score
The rear slider has a plastic frame that is bonded to the glass. The solid rear window is 100% glass, like the windshield.

I would try to seal your rear window with flowable Permatex first. If that works, you're good to go. If not, the solid rear window is the next best step, IMO.
OK gotcha. thank you! I am hopeful that @RamCares may be able to assist in some way given the well-known and quite widespread issue

SD Rebel

Reaction score
As mentioned, a few members here have had good luck with the flowable silicone route, seems to have fixed their issues.

Even if you get approval, not sure if the replacement won't eventually crack again.

St-na

Reaction score
My truck is under warranty, but I do not want to spend my time and nerves for this ****. I know it will take hell of the time and I see no reason to replace a whole window. Joining "Permatex club" $20 and 30min job will not hurt me.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My truck is under warranty, but I do not want to spend my time and nerves for this ****. I know it will take hell of the time and I see no reason to replace a whole window. Joining "Permatex club" $20 and 30min job will not hurt me.

Even if I was still under warranty, which I'm not (Maxcare doesn't cover this), I would still go Permatex route. No point in having the dealership tear that area up, likely causing more issues (just as some members here) and then still have it eventually do it again in the future.

I'll fill the area with Permatex, put a cleanly cut piece of black electrical tape or sticker to hide the crack(s) inside, and call it a day.

St-na

Reaction score
Even if I was still under warranty, which I'm not (Maxcare doesn't cover this), I would still go Permatex route. No point in having the dealership tear that area up, likely causing more issues (just as some members here) and then still have it eventually do it again in the future.

I'll fill the area with Permatex, put a cleanly cut piece of black electrical tape or sticker to hide the crack(s) inside, and call it a day.
From '21 You can not see a crack. FCA build a nice gutter in this area, frame is covered by this piece 😃.

Calvincoolidge

Reaction score
I would just buy a solid rear window and have your local glass shop install it. I think you can get one for $300-400... maybe a couple hundred to install. Done and no more leaks.
One additional question for you. I see people referencing the leaking 3rd brake light along with this… are the two related? Is it the water getting in there and then freezing that causes the cracks in the window frame?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
One additional question for you. I see people referencing the leaking 3rd brake light along with this… are the two related? Is it the water getting in there and then freezing that causes the cracks in the window frame?

They are two unrelated issues, but you can have both. The leaky rear window seems to have two possible causes. Cracks in the plastic frame which are assumed to be caused by body flex. The second was said to be the manufacturer using the wrong adhesive to seal the rear window. IMO, it's just a crappy design and Ram needs to figure out a permanent fix or be forced to find one via a class action lawsuit.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They are two unrelated issues, but you can have both. The leaky rear window seems to have two possible causes. Cracks in the plastic frame which are assumed to be caused by body flex. The second was said to be the manufacturer using the wrong adhesive to seal the rear window. IMO, it's just a crappy design and Ram needs to figure out a permanent fix or be forced to find one via a class action lawsuit.

They are related, the manufacturer using the wrong adhesive to seal the window is believed to be one reason to get the window cracks. The adhesive was to hard and would not allow the window to flex properly, which causes the window to crack.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
They are related, the manufacturer using the wrong adhesive to seal the window is believed to be one reason to get the window cracks. The adhesive was to hard and would not allow the window to flex properly, which causes the window to crack.

He asked if the 3rd brake light leak and the rear window cracks were related. I answered that correctly.

Last edited:

St-na

Reaction score

I looked into the gap with my camera, the seal looks pretty good, except the corners where it looks suspicious. Not sure, if I need to go all the way on top. By they way it's pretty dirty to apply Permatex directly, without surface preparation.

Attachments

• 20230424_100811.jpg
    20230424_100811.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230424_100755.jpg
    20230424_100755.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20230424_100759.jpg
    20230424_100759.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 67

St-na

Reaction score
Spoke with the dealer today, they ordered window replacement for tomorrow with 2 years warranty, I go ahead with this plan. They said there were no returning customers after the replacement, let see.

Rebond

Reaction score
I emailed my dealer with a link to this forum thread, asking if Stellantis has figured out a way to finally fix this water intrusion problem.

I said I was also concerned about having to pay out of pocket for the rear window tint again, only to have the issue reoccur. I got no response and I'm not surprised, since this is such a well known ongoing issue.

I just did the Permatex flowable silicone repair (2 tubes) across the top of the window, marine gasket on third brake light and tightened the shark fin down. Seems great after the last few days of heavy rain we've had.

Thank you to all that help other Ram owners resolve these issues. It's much appreciated!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I emailed my dealer with a link to this forum thread, asking if Stellantis has figured out a way to finally fix this water intrusion problem.

I said I was also concerned about having to pay out of pocket for the rear window tint again, only to have the issue reoccur. I got no response and I'm not surprised, since this is such a well known ongoing issue.

I just did the Permatex flowable silicone repair (2 tubes) across the top of the window, marine gasket on third brake light and tightened the shark fin down. Seems great after the last few days of heavy rain we've had.

Thank you to all that help other Ram owners resolve these issues. It's much appreciated!
Glad it’s working out!

Turey22

Reaction score
Hello,

Lurker here.

I found this issue on my 2020 Laramie.

I’ve read some post of people having the same issue over and over. That issue makes me want to sell my truck. I live in a cold and rainy climate.

I’m taking my truck into the dealership for a “asssesment” and hopefully it won’t be expensive. My truck is out of warranty.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
If it’s a broken frame or cracked glass. Your insurance will cover it. Usually a $250 deductible. If you have to pay for ram to change it. It’s around $1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread