5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the other thread, I mentioned that I dropped my truck off yesterday for a rear window swap. (I'll eat the cost of the aftermarket ceramic tint and dashcam mount replacement. Thanks, Ram.)

They say I'll get it back today. Shrug.

When I do get it, if it's good and I accept it, I'll clean it up, hit the gap with a heat gun to warm it slightly, tape around it, and then Permatex it. I heard one tube is just a little short of doing the whole upper seam. So I bought 5 tubes. :)

Tomphot

Reaction score
I have the leak - still under warranty - 24k. I am noticing seat damage. Has anyone gotten that taken care of as well? My appointment is next week.

Tomphot

Reaction score
2020 Longhorn - It looks like the seats got wet inside and they now have a white crusty material shoeing through the dots.
IMG_3387.jpeg IMG_3388.jpeg

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did the Permatex caulk fix on my rear window, passenger side only, as that's where my very minor leak was coming from. I did the fix over a month ago, but haven't had much rain or really a need to wash the truck until the other day. I soaked the back window with a lot of water and I had none inside when I was done. I will apply a full bead across the entire top of the window for insurance now.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Discovered a leak on my 2020 bighorn at 39,500 miles. Passenger top corner had water dribbling in. I had also smelled a musty smell but thought it was from the heat being turned on. Pushing on the window frame you could see water coming out. We had just had abnormal below 0 weather here in Arkansas. So possibly the cold contributed. I don’t have a crack at all in the frame that I can tell. No headliner stains.

Dealer thought it was 3rd brake light. They tested after modifying it and discovered it was still leaking. So has to be a failure of the window seal. During the test it started leaking in the center of the window also. Thankfully Chrysler is going to cover it apparently with a goodwill policy since I’m barely out of warranty. Also I’m the 2nd owner so I thought that was good of them. Helps that the local dealer here is pretty well known too.

I just hope the new one will hold up and nothing is damaged during the installation. If the new one leaks I’m going to just seal it myself and hope for the best. Ridiculous how widespread this issue is. GM has bad problems with it also. I just feel fortunate that I discovered it when I did. Put painters tape on it until the new one arrives.

Attachments

• B28A56C2-A353-450C-B14A-181391211C0B.jpeg
    B28A56C2-A353-450C-B14A-181391211C0B.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 65

SeaHogs

Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I feel like just permatex sealing the new window after its installed and be done with it.

ArcotRAMathorn

Reaction score
Similar issue on my 2019 ram rebel. Noticed condensation on windows in summer. Just pulled the rear seats and the watched water drip in from the corner of the rear window (top left if looking at the window from the tailgate).

Bought zeigler warranty and it's not covered. @RamCares reached out to you in pm for help

NoCrow

Reaction score
Also came across this while researching. FYI
That's exactly where my leak is on my 2019. Was replaced once already. Now leaking 100x worse and cracked in at least 2 places. The 2 shown in the attachment you posted. And likely 2 others more towards the center. I'm gonna keep having them fix it until I can lemon law it.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Summary of my leak experience with my dealer:

Discovered wet carpet in late November/early December, after getting into a cold truck after a rainstorm and having HEAVY condensation on windshield. As well, the left rear seat was soaked. (2nd occurrence of condensation on inside.) The next day (?), I did the hose test at the driver's side C pillar: instant leak inside truck.

Made appointment for dealer to inspect. 2 week delay for appointment. I had to LEAVE the truck. On phone, described it and wanted to wait. (Each drop-off or pickup is over an hour out of my day.) I got a call later that day that the leak was found and I could pick the truck up. Okay, that's about 3 hours out of my day for that. My wife works...she had to coordinate for this, as well.

Dropoff, 1:15 hours (plus wife time)
Pickup, 1:15 hours (plus wife time)

A few days later I was told the new glass was enroute. Made the appointment for about 2 weeks later (December 28th actual glass swap), but had to drop off the day prior, 27th. I dropped it off at 1 p.m. At 10 a.m., THE NEXT DAY, I was told that my Retrax tonneau cover had to be removed. Dealer rep, "Yeah, didn't we talk about that?". WTF. And they won't touch costumer installed items. So, either the glass swap would have to be rescheduled (maybe another month), or I had to grab the truck...or bust my *** and get there (with a trailer), and remove the tonneau in their parking lot, toss it on the trailer and bring it home. Yes, I drafted a dealer porter and got it done.

Why did I even bother dropping it off the day prior???

Dropoff, 1:15 hours (plus wife time).

Tonneau, 1:15 travel to/from, :20 standing in dealership trying to find out where it is, :30 to remove it and toss on trailer. 2:05 total.

Window fixed, pick up later that day, 1:15 (plus wife time). (Covered under warrant. Sheet shows dealer cost of $1,435, of which $205 was for the 1 hour to "verify customer concern". Yeah, 10 seconds with a hose. GMAFB.)

(Apparently, though not printed anywhere, the repair is warrantied for 2 years. I got that statement in a separate email when I pushed for it.)

The next day, I re-applied window tint (ceramic, IR block: awesome for heat control in summer). $120 and total time 1:30 (travel and install).

Applied Permatex to new window. 2 tubes. Total time, with prep and cleanup, 2 hours. Cost, $15 for Permatex, $15 for tape, etc.

Reapplied new Dashcam mount. :15 and $25

Man (and wife ;) ) hours I had to put into getting my truck the way it was BEFORE the leak: 15 hours and 50 minutes. Let's call it 16 hours total, between my wife and I.

Total out of pocket cost: $175, plus fuel (gas and diesel) for all the drop-offs and pick-ups. Call it easily $200.

Those 16 hours? Those were during work hours. You bet your @ss I'll be signing on to the class action lawsuit to get recompensed for my time and out-of-pocket expenses.

Last edited:

GoRavens

Reaction score
Summary of my leak experience with my dealer:

Discovered wet carpet in late November/early December, after getting into a cold truck after a rainstorm and having HEAVY condensation on windshield. As well, the left rear seat was soaked. (2nd occurrence of condensation on inside.) The next day (?), I did the hose test at the driver's side C pillar: instant leak inside truck.

Made appointment for dealer to inspect. 2 week delay for appointment. I had to LEAVE the truck. On phone, described it and wanted to wait. (Each drop-off or pickup is over an hour out of my day.) I got a call later that day that the leak was found and I could pick the truck up. Okay, that's about 3 hours out of my day for that. My wife works...she had to coordinate for this, as well.

Dropoff, 1:15 hours (plus wife time)
Pickup, 1:15 hours (plus wife time)

A few days later I was told the new glass was enroute. Made the appointment for about 2 weeks later (December 28th actual glass swap), but had to drop off the day prior, 27th. I dropped it off at 1 p.m. At 10 a.m., THE NEXT DAY, I was told that my Retrax tonneau cover had to be removed. Dealer rep, "Yeah, didn't we talk about that?". WTF. And they won't touch costumer installed items. So, either the glass swap would have to be rescheduled (maybe another month), or I had to grab the truck...or bust my *** and get there (with a trailer), and remove the tonneau in their parking lot, toss it on the trailer and bring it home. Yes, I drafted a dealer porter and got it done.

Why did I even bother dropping it off the day prior???

Dropoff, 1:15 hours (plus wife time).

Tonneau, 1:15 travel to/from, :20 standing in dealership trying to find out where it is, :30 to remove it and toss on trailer. 2:05 total.

Window fixed, pick up later that day, 1:15 (plus wife time). (Covered under warrant. Sheet shows dealer cost of $1,435, of which $205 was for the 1 hour to "verify customer concern". Yeah, 10 seconds with a hose. GMAFB.)

(Apparently, though not printed anywhere, the repair is warrantied for 2 years. I got that statement in a separate email when I pushed for it.)

The next day, I re-applied window tint (ceramic, IR block: awesome for heat control in summer). $120 and total time 1:30 (travel and install).

Applied Permatex to new window. 2 tubes. Total time, with prep and cleanup, 2 hours. Cost, $15 for Permatex, $15 for tape, etc.

Reapplied new Dashcam mount. :15 and $25

Man (and wife ;) ) hours I had to put into getting my truck the way it was BEFORE the leak: 15 hours and 50 minutes. Let's call it 16 hours total, between my wife and I.

Total out of pocket cost: $175, plus fuel (gas and diesel) for all the drop-offs and pick-ups. Call it easily $200.

Those 16 hours? Those were during work hours. You bet your @ss I'll be signing on to the class action lawsuit to get recompensed for my time and out-of-pocket expenses.
Sheesh. This is terrible. Similar experience here but with the added joy of the water shorting out the computer that talks to the key fob:

Post in thread 'Fob'
Fob

There are so many posts on here about this same issue….Is there a class action suit on this? It’s a well known problem, and there are enough of us suffering through it.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Similar issue on my 2019 ram rebel. Noticed condensation on windows in summer. Just pulled the rear seats and the watched water drip in from the corner of the rear window (top left if looking at the window from the tailgate).

Bought zeigler warranty and it's not covered. @RamCares reached out to you in pm for help
Received! We look forward to assisting you with this.

Callie
Ram Cares

Javich

Reaction score
Greetings, I own a 2019 ram 1500 limited and took it in today for the rear window leaking from a cracked frame. I was told by my dealership (Kolosso dodge/ram-Appleton) that neither my certified preowned warranty or my platinum extended warranty I purchased covered fixing the cracks and quoted me for $2100! Judging by this forum and other forums, it’s an extremely common problem that shouldn’t happen to a truck that’s 2 years old! Can someone please help me resolve this issue?
Mine was replaced for first time in2020 and the one they installed I found out that it crack also. I'm over the warranty and the dealer contact Ram and they are replacing it for second time without any cost for me.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
I’m going to talk to the service advisor when I go in for my replacement to see if they will seal some hard to get places like in the corners. And then I’m gonna seal the gap on the window myself too. Shark fin also. I’m not taking anymore chances with this. Even with a new window. So far the painter’s tape has done ok temporarily. I know the frame gets hairline cracks. Even in places you can’t see. I feel like the pop I’ve heard pulling out of places is related. This truck has been awesome in every way except for the leak. Hopefully sealing it will take care of it once and for all

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Are y’all mainly sealing the top part of the window and stopping there, or going all out and doing the whole thing and sealing the top, sides, and even the bottom also?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are y’all mainly sealing the top part of the window and stopping there, or going all out and doing the whole thing and sealing the top, sides, and even the bottom also?

I just did the top. The Permatex flowable silicon is too liquid to do the sides or bottom, IMO. It really is "flowable"!

Users who are viewing this thread