5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

gwatt86

Reaction score
Yes, I just did the top channel, thick, from about 4-5 inches past the slider on the driver side, to 4-5 inches past slider on passenger side. My main crack was right at the corner of the slider on the drivers side. So far, no leaks since applying Permatex. Mine fills the channel almost up to the top.

Tomphot

Reaction score
Update on my 2020 - I took it in today for the 1st time to have it checked out. The leak guy determined that the deluge was coming in due to a rear window leak. It needs to be ordered and replaced. The dealer also will be steam cleaning the rear seat and carpet. They have been very reactive to the situation. While talking talking to 2 of the service guys, I asked if I should seal with Permatex after the fix, they told me they haven't been seeing trucks coming back for a second fix. They had 3 trucks coming in today to get checked out. I was talking with 2 service advisors out of 7 at the dealer, they each said that last month they each had 5 trucks that needed the repair. I asked them why they don't just make the rear windows a regular stock item - they both rolled their eyes.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Thank y’all for the info. I went ahead and ordered 5 tubes of Permatex just to have it for whatever else I might need. I figured it was pretty runny. I’ll do the whole top part of the back glass after the new window is installed. Probably go around brake light and antenna too. My leaks are in the center and the far passenger top corner which is the one I noticed. I know it must’ve cracked on the top side where it isn’t visible. Gonna ask the dealer to let me know where the cracks are when they take it out.

Pains me to say they may have to hand bags of permatex to people when they drive off the lot smh. I’ve owned a 2nd gen (99), 3rd gen (06), and now 5th gen (20). The 3rd gen was the best truck I’ve ever had. Remember how the 2nd gens all had cracking dashboards? I know this stuff happens. Other than the rear window my 5th gen has been a dream. I’m confident this will be the end of the leak problems after all the preventative measures.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
So I called to inquire about when the replacement window will be in. I was told Tuesday Jan 10th. I decided to experiment a bit in the meantime and try and isolate the leak. I taped off the shark fin antenna and the brake light and poured water over that area. No leak detected. I decided to take the tape off the brake light and leave the shark fin taped. Boom. Leak. Water coming out the passenger and driver side C pillar where the seat belts retract as well as trickling all the way down the pillar to the floor. As well as passenger corner at the top of window. I dried up what I could and then decided to pour water over just the roof molding corners. Couldn’t really detect anything new. I then untaped the shark fin and taped the brake light up again and couldn’t detect a leak there. Which I found odd since I did had a drip coming down the center of the window frame before.

I really believe something is going on in that channel underneath the bottom of my brake light where it and the window meet and then the water gets in and flows to the corners and into the cab. Guess I’ll know for sure soon.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I called to inquire about when the replacement window will be in. I was told Tuesday Jan 10th. I decided to experiment a bit in the meantime and try and isolate the leak. I taped off the shark fin antenna and the brake light and poured water over that area. No leak detected. I decided to take the tape off the brake light and leave the shark fin taped. Boom. Leak. Water coming out the passenger and driver side C pillar where the seat belts retract as well as trickling all the way down the pillar to the floor. As well as passenger corner at the top of window. I dried up what I could and then decided to pour water over just the roof molding corners. Couldn’t really detect anything new. I then untaped the shark fin and taped the brake light up again and couldn’t detect a leak there. Which I found odd since I did had a drip coming down the center of the window frame before.

I really believe something is going on in that channel underneath the bottom of my brake light where it and the window meet and then the water gets in and flows to the corners and into the cab. Guess I’ll know for sure soon.
That's a great idea. Did you put tape along the top edge of the rear window?

SeaHogs

Reaction score
That's a great idea. Did you put tape along the top edge of the rear window?
I did in a previous test before this one. I believe water got through the tape in a void I might have left around the brake light perhaps. I’m still suspecting cracks in the top corner under the roof molding also but I don’t want to mess with the trim before it goes to the dealer. I’m gonna bring it up though. After the window gets installed I might get brave and pop the trim up and seal the corner if they don’t do it for me. I’m gonna at least seal the window channel for sure and be proactive with the new one.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
I didn’t notice any of this until we had below zero temperatures a few weeks ago fwiw. Abnormal for Arkansas but this could’ve happened months before. I got comfortable and thought I would be good unless I saw visible cracks like most others. Not the case. And I’m seeing a lot more corner leaks like mine being posted very frequently right now.

Rager170

Reaction score
I too am having this issue. 2021 Laramie with about 14,500 miles on it.

I overheard a service manager or someone while I was sitting in the waiting room say they wouldnt take on the job and to send me to where I purchased the truck.. I am waiting for a call back from them and hoping I dont have to get into a fight with them over this.

We shall see...

EDIT - Just got a call back and they claim it is coming from the 3rd brake light. I asked if they were sure as I have read that there are other causes for it and mentioned such.. He said they claimed to have found it at that light. Back ordered part but hoping that will be the end of this. Only time will tell.
Still dealing with this. After waiting about a month for a 3rd brake light, they installed it yesterday. Well, today its raining and the leak continues. Their fix didnt fix literally a thing. This is getting very frustrating.

Javich

Reaction score
Got my window replaced for second time without no cost. Dealer replaced it even I was over 8000 miles from the warranty.
Hope the part installed is better quality and don't crack also.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Got my window replaced for second time without no cost. Dealer replaced it even I was over 8000 miles from the warranty.
Hope the part installed is better quality and don't crack also.
You would think so. Somehow I’m not optimistic, but I hope so for your sake.

Does anyone know of there was a redesign for the back glass or not? @RamCares

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
Just picked the truck up from the dealership tonight. They were finally able to get a new brake light after several attempts at sealing the existing light. Rain forecast later this week so we’ll see how it goes.

I laughed at the note from the service team. “DUE TO WATER LEAKS AND TRYING EVERYTHING ELSE WE REPLACED THE BRAKE LIGHT.”

Attachments

• 536AC11D-4306-4C89-B240-5F6E1051EF30.jpeg
    536AC11D-4306-4C89-B240-5F6E1051EF30.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 32

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
i posted this in a different discussion board, & i thought I'd share it with the group. My concern now is should i seal the other side also since some people did mention that theirs leaked. >>

i purchased my rebel late 2020 and just noticed 2 months ago of a water leak inside the back passenger side headrest area. i conducted the normal leak search in the 3rd brake light, shark fin and the sliding window and all checked good. i found the leak is coming from the right side window (see picture) by spraying water from the outside.
20230111_113121.jpg

i applied very small amount of sealant from the outside between the small gap (see picture) & spread it evenly using a coat hanger.
20230111_113104.jpg

i spayed water on it several times after 24 hrs cure time and have gone thru rain & several car washes... so far no leak.

Last edited:

SeaHogs

Reaction score
New window was supposed to be in on the 10th for me. Still hasn’t arrived. Backordered. Going to call tomorrow for a status check.

rsnc87

Reaction score
i posted this in a different discussion board, & i thought I'd share it with the group. My concern now is should i seal the other side also since some people did mention that theirs leaked. >>

i purchased my rebel late 2020 and just noticed 2 months ago of a water leak inside the back passenger side headrest area. i conducted the normal leak search in the 3rd brake light, shark fin and the sliding window and all checked good. i found the leak is coming from the right side window (see picture) by spraying water from the outside.
View attachment 149121

i applied very small amount of sealant from the outside between the small gap (see picture) & spread it evenly using a coat hanger.
View attachment 149133

i spayed water on it several times after 24 hrs cure time and have gone thru rain & several car washes... so far no leak.
UglyMonk3y, have you had your rear window replaced in the past? My 2019 was leaking and I took it in last year. They ran some tests, determined the brake light was not put on properly, had cracked and was causing it to leak. They fixed it and decided to run some more tests, and ended up replacing the entire back window and it was covered by the warranty.

Fast forward 10 months, and it's leaking again in a different spot. The original leak was in the center, and now mine is leaking in the same spot shown in your pictures.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As mentioned before, mine leaked and destroyed the push button start module. Towed to the dealer on 12/13. Was told the module had a UPS tracking delivery date of 12/23. It never arrived. I was then told it was pushed back until 1/6. Never arrived. Then I was told it was in transit. Never arrived. I was told on 1/17 that there are no parts. I notice that there are plenty of Rams, Jeeps, and Dodges on the lots that all use the same modules. How does that happen if therew are no parts. I'm sorry but how is this acceptable to anyone? 5 weeks. Ram and FCA are not worthy of any loyalty and I won't be purchasing their products in the future.

UglyMonk3y

Reaction score
UglyMonk3y, have you had your rear window replaced in the past? My 2019 was leaking and I took it in last year. They ran some tests, determined the brake light was not put on properly, had cracked and was causing it to leak. They fixed it and decided to run some more tests, and ended up replacing the entire back window and it was covered by the warranty.

Fast forward 10 months, and it's leaking again in a different spot. The original leak was in the center, and now mine is leaking in the same spot shown in your pictures.

i never took the truck to the dealers for this (window leak). i don't have time to sit around at the dealers for hours waiting for them to tell me the part is on order or the materials for the window are being mined in China & scheduled for delivery in Jan 2035, when i can just fix the problem in 30 min & cost me $10. I'm not blaming the dealers, they are the middle men tasked to politely deal with angry customers like me & to fix a product that the manufacturers/engineers clearly failed on, with repair procedures & products that's sub par for a $60+k vehicle.

then when they do "fix" it after spending a very productive 4 hrs playing tetris on your phone, it leaks again in a few months. so now, you are back to step 1.

i have better ways to spend my time, like floating in a swimming pool watching water evaporate with a glass of crown & coke on hand.

sorry for the rant. I'm just frustrated with certain BS.

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As mentioned before, mine leaked and destroyed the push button start module. Towed to the dealer on 12/13. Was told the module had a UPS tracking delivery date of 12/23. It never arrived. I was then told it was pushed back until 1/6. Never arrived. Then I was told it was in transit. Never arrived. I was told on 1/17 that there are no parts. I notice that there are plenty of Rams, Jeeps, and Dodges on the lots that all use the same modules. How does that happen if therew are no parts. I'm sorry but how is this acceptable to anyone? 5 weeks. Ram and FCA are not worthy of any loyalty and I won't be purchasing their products in the future.
I'd do the same.

Unbelievable.

This window leak issue seems to be pretty widespread, as is the damage that occurs because of it. I'd think a bit of internal waterproofing would be instituted, immediately, for all in-production vehicles, and an open acknowledgement of the problem should have been publicly announced. With, of course, the promise of repairs and loaners until the fix is done.

I've purchased 3 FCA vehicles since 2017. If they don't do the right thing...I'm done. (<- not that my personal stance matters to Stellantis, the top floor, or their hourly employees. But I won't do business with any organization that does not do right.)

Users who are viewing this thread