5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear window leak

Nikdfish

Reaction score
Just back from the dealer regarding a leak on the 2020 Longhorn. Nothing showing on the headliner, but the rear floor area was getting damp. Didn't notice that initially, the big clue was heavy condensation on the inside of the windshield & windows on cool mornings. When I noticed the rear floor being damp I removed the floor mat to see blue-green mold on the underside. Today they found what appeared to be then only leak in the left side bottom corner of the rear window. No mention of any window frame issues.

Taking it back tomorrow AM when their glass shop will dismount & reseal/reinstall the rear window. If that stops the leak they will do the carpet shampoo, drying, etc. to remediate the mold that grew under the floor mat.

Nikdfish

Reaction score
Finished up with the leak repair. The glass shop was able to remove/reseal/reinstall the existing rear window. No indication of any leak activity other than that window corner. No cracks. No headliner stains.

The detailing shop cleaned up & dried the rear carpet & power washed the rear mat. No smell (no mustyness or air freshener). Everything looks good.

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Mine goes in Wednesday morning 1/25. Of course we have snow in the forecast for that day now. They expect it to take the whole day and maybe some of the next. Subbed out to a glass company. I still think I’m gonna permatex the top side of the window after a little while. Not sure about popping the roof molding and checking that out yet. Going to tell the glass company to let me know where the leaks enter

805bruin

Reaction score
I need to read through this whole thread but has anyone gotten this covered under max care extended warranty for CPO? Mine is leaking on my 2019 ram 1500 limited and they just called me saying it is not covered. The car only has 31k miles on it and I have the 7 year 100,000 max care warranty that I bought. Any suggestions?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I need to read through this whole thread but has anyone gotten this covered under max care extended warranty for CPO? Mine is leaking on my 2019 ram 1500 limited and they just called me saying it is not covered. The car only has 31k miles on it and I have the 7 year 100,000 max care warranty that I bought. Any suggestions?

The only warranty that will cover the leak/frame is the original 3 year / 36K warranty. You are now out based on time, which of course sucks to have this issue. No Mopar warranty, including the Maximum care will cover it. They categorize it on their list of bodywork, paint, glass and water intrusion, which are all exceptions to the warranty.

Your best chance is to ask your selling dealership for some "goodwill" help, and see if they can help you defer the costs. Or you can try the sealant route, which is where I will go should mine eventually crack as well.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone actually done the permatex that has had the cracks and been able to confirmed it works in the long run? The cracks get bigger over time so I'm interested to see how that will affect it.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Contact Ram Customer Care. It looks like they are going to take care of me. But, I also has the Push button Start Module get fried from the leak.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Has anyone actually done the permatex that has had the cracks and been able to confirmed it works in the long run? The cracks get bigger over time so I'm interested to see how that will affect it.
I'll go this route if needed. If the cracks get bigger I'll repeat the process. There has to be a theoretical limit as to how much bigger those cracks can get.

gwatt86

Reaction score
I may not be a good test case because I live in West Texas where it hardly rains, however, I added Permatex back in November and after multiple car washes, still no leaks.

805bruin

Reaction score
Contact Ram Customer Care. It looks like they are going to take care of me. But, I also has the Push button Start Module get fried from the leak.
I will. My car also was in for the RF hub issue (which is being replaced) and I think that issue was caused by the leaking window. Is ram customer care the 1-800-992-1997 number?

Chris3058

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What’s the RF hub issue. Would that have anything to do with remote range? Cause mine sucks royally. Like 6 cars away it might work.

805bruin

Reaction score
What’s the RF hub issue. Would that have anything to do with remote range? Cause mine sucks royally. Like 6 cars away it might work.
It sounds like the same hub/module issue I’ve seen in other forum posts. The module that communicates with the keyfob fails and so the car doesn’t respond to anything .

805bruin

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with both mopar vehicle protection and ram customer care and neither is going to help me with this leaking window issue. This is really disappointing and really has just solidified we won’t be buying a mopar car ever again.

My car was bought CPO and I bought the 7yr/100,000 mile extended warranty. Ram customer care said I don’t qualify for any goodwill (which apparently works if you’re within 2 years or 24,000 mi after your factory warranty lapses BUT you have to be the original owner apparently). So because I’m the 2nd owner the goodwill doesn’t apply (note: my car is actually only 10 months passed the original 3 year warranty and actually 5k miles BELOW the original 36k mile warranty - but because I’m not original owner then the goodwill doesn’t apply).

As a consumer I thought I did all the right things when buying this truck used - I made sure to buy CPO and made sure to buy the extended warranty direct form mopar. Yep somehow I’m still screwed for something that shouldn’t happen in a car - water leaking into it.

Anyways - any other suggestions on how to resolve?

Last edited:

GMetal

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with both mopar vehicle protection and ram customer care and neither is going to help me with this leaking window issue. This is really disappointing and really has just solidified we won’t be buying a mopar car ever again.

My car was bought CPO and I bought the 7yr/100,000 mile extended warranty. Ram customer care said I don’t qualify for any goodwill (which apparently works if you’re within 2 years or 24,000 mi after your factory warranty lapses BUT you have to be the original owner apparently). So because I’m the 2nd owner the goodwill doesn’t apply (note: my car is actually only 10 months passed the original 3 year warranty and actually 5k miles BELOW the original 36k mile warranty - but because I’m not original owner then the goodwill doesn’t apply).

The things that frustrate me are:
1. As a consumer I thought I did all the right things when buying this truck used - I made sure to buy CPO and made sure to buy the extended warranty direct form mopar. Yep somehow I’m still screwed for something that shouldn’t happen in a car - water leaking into it.
2. If we don’t fix this leak, the other issues they are fixing (such as the fried module) wound just happen again later if the leak is still there!!!
3. It’s crazy to me that this doesn’t cover under my extended warranty. I get it won’t include like glass cracks since that’s wear and tear - but the actual thing that holds the window in leaking? That seems like a defect that should be covered.
4. My extended warranty only covers 5 days of rental? What if the dealership needs it longer because they need a part, etc? I’m just out of luck?

Do you have glass coverage through your insurance?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

As a consumer I thought I did all the right things when buying this truck used - I made sure to buy CPO and made sure to buy the extended warranty direct form mopar. Yep somehow I’m still screwed for something that shouldn’t happen in a car - water leaking into it.

Lawyer?

Join the class action lawsuit (when able)?

Contact a local news channel and link them to all the reports of leaking windows on this forum?

805bruin

Reaction score
The dealer just called and now they are saying they actually think the leak is from the third brake light. It’s a $270 fix and they said still not covered under warranty.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The dealer just called and now they are saying they actually think the leak is from the third brake light. It’s a $270 fix and they said still not covered under warranty.
Buy the light and replace it yourself. You should be able to get a new Mopar light for less than $50 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/