5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear wheel house liners

kjn86

Reaction score
Just got this done today and with the advice here and the video, it was easy to do. Paid $90 total with shipping (got it for free). I can't believe this isn't standard. Makes it look so much cleaner in addition to the protection. Thanks for all the help!

Peasey

Reaction score
Just got this done today and with the advice here and the video, it was easy to do. Paid $90 total with shipping (got it for free). I can't believe this isn't standard. Makes it look so much cleaner in addition to the protection. Thanks for all the help!
So do both the front and rear mini splash shields get separated on a Big Horn and put back in behind the liners? Or is it just the rears that go back in after separating?

Jagtyson

Reaction score
So do both the front and rear mini splash shields get separated on a Big Horn and put back in behind the liners? Or is it just the rears that go back in after separating?
I put both back on for stability. The liners are pretty flimsy without the support.

Peasey

Reaction score
Does that mean I will need to get extra clips, or do you take them off the new liner where they match up with the existing shields?

Jagtyson

Reaction score
Does that mean I will need to get extra clips, or do you take them off the new liner where they match up with the existing shields?
Peasey, looks like your truck is a Laramie or above so it has fender flairs. You'll have to pull all of the clips off from around the wheel well and mount them to the liner before reinstalling the bolts through the flairs into the liners. There are two holes in the bed that will need extra clips and bolts. I just used gm plastic fender push pins instead which work great. You can get them at auto parts store for a few bucks. I haven't seen the online video but I'm sure it will help you.

Peasey

Reaction score
Its actually a Big Horn. The video on youtube has flares, so I'm sure it wont be too hard to figure out the changes. Just trying to make sure I have everything needed before doing the install.

Brent T

Reaction score
Just got my truck the other day, 50% of my driving is on gravel roads. I suspect those plastic liners will be in pieces in a month or 2. Have the tube steps and there is already gravel chips in front of rear tires. That’s the quickest I’ve seen on any trucks I’ve owned.

RedmanGlenn

Reaction score
Ordered mine today from Suburan Auto parts with 4 extra screws just in case. $114 shipped to Long Island

Peasey

Reaction score
I put both back on for stability. The liners are pretty flimsy without the support.
So did you have to separate the back pieces like the video? Is the front 2 pieces as well? Or did you just go over the existing and put liners between current and fender and screw them in?

Jagtyson

Reaction score
So did you have to separate the back pieces like the video? Is the front 2 pieces as well? Or did you just go over the existing and put liners between current and fender and screw them in?
Separated both front and back into two parts. Dispose of the face and remount the backs. Then install the liners.

kjn86

Reaction score
Separated both front and back into two parts. Dispose of the face and remount the backs. Then install the liners.

I am not tracking the front pieces could be separated into two parts and that they'd fit. I did mine exactly like the video, i.e. only separated the rear ones and remounted them. I haven't heard anyone reuse the front ones. I feel like they wouldn't fit, but maybe that was the way to go.

So you are saying you remounted BOTH front and rear half liners then put the new complete piece over top of both?

Jagtyson

Reaction score
I am not tracking the front pieces could be separated into two parts and that they'd fit. I did mine exactly like the video, i.e. only separated the rear ones and remounted them. I haven't heard anyone reuse the front ones. I feel like they wouldn't fit, but maybe that was the way to go.

So you are saying you remounted BOTH front and rear half liners then put the new complete piece over top of both?
Yes. I have not watched the video but saw no reason not to remount both the front and rear backings for support.

kjn86

Reaction score
Yes. I have not watched the video but saw no reason not to remount both the front and rear backings for support.

I didn't even try to see if it would fit nor did I question the technique in the video. Too bad I threw away my extra pieces. Hope it doesn't matter in the end, but I do see the potential strength gains of mounting both.

The more I think about it, the dumber it seems to be drilling anything out and not to just simply put the whole liner right on top of the existing half ones. Does it make any sense that we had to manually separate the parts before putting in the complete liner? I wish now I had tried to just put the liner on top of the halves after taking out only the screws without making any additional modifications. Maybe has no different effect but it would be more logical at least. It's probably why there aren't any instructions. It's so obvious to them that you remove the screws, put the liner in and put the screws back in.

I wonder if anyone with the liners from the factor can attest to whether those halves are still there, front and back, and whether the rear one has only the backing left (like the video).

If this video is wrong (and this thread is wrong) or less than ideal, someone should say something so people don't make wasted/worse changes while trying to upgrade.

Last edited:

Cosmok

Reaction score
You do not re-install the front pieces. Only the separated rear pieces.

kjn86

Reaction score
You do not re-install the front pieces. Only the separated rear pieces.

Jagtyson said he did. There are also a dude in the comments section of the video that didn't separate the two pieces in the rear half and just put the full on top of it. My point is we sort of assumed the video was informed, but really, the guy was just trying to make sense of the parts he had. If you read his comments to the replies, he's explaining how this seems to him the way it would go absent any instructions.

Does anyone have any actual Mopar documentation showing the right way? Again, how do they look from the factory? Is there a front and rear trim piece anchoring it, or just a rear piece?

Jagtyson

Reaction score
Sorry for publishing incorrect info. It has been a while since I did the install.

I climbed under my truck today (in the ice and snow) and I did not install the front backing plates behind the liner.

There is plenty of fender bracing and the front original short liners would not fit between the supports and the new full liner.

My apologies.. I have spent so much time dealing with my tricoat white paint problems during the two months since I bought the truck, that the liner install has become a blurrrrr.

Peasey

Reaction score
Ok, so the update is the install went very smooth. Just remove the front pieces, separate the back pieces and put back in, and install all the screws. Put the rear flaps on at the same time. Easy as that. The video that was posted gave enough information to figure it out on a Big Horn vs Laramie with flares.

Part numbers I ordered were....

Liners 68275910AB & 68275911AB.
Screws- 06510175AA - ordered 10 to be sure I had enough.
Clip for inside of wheel well on each side - I removed one from the front original splash shield that is removed on install.

micron

Reaction score
Ok. I got my ‘19 Rebel in the end of Feb. The lack of full wheel liners irked me. I emailed Chrysler and after some back and forth I was able to convince them to provide me a set but I have to install them myself. Just a caution to those who do the install themselves. The small piece of trim at the back of the wheelwell does not cone off as easily as it appears in the videos. Those little clips will break! Bad news is they still don’t sell them. Good news is you can use certain door clips $4.00 ea. or just buy the trim piece itself (clips included) for $9.00).

DM-SC

Reaction score
One caution on removing the plastic trim from the lower bed behind the rear wheels.

In addition to the two clips and the screw, there is also a locating tab. The tab goes into a hole next to the rear clip.

That tab is fragile...ask me how I know!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread