5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear wheel house liners

DM-SC

Reaction score
Are ya'll doing this for protection or so that the back matching the front? I want mine to match and thinking about painting the white with black under coating which would be way easier and quicker.
Both. It looks a lot better and it keeps crud out of places it would get without them.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Klute

Reaction score
I had a 2002 and 2011 Dodge/Ram 1500's without them, 2002 started to rust, nothing on 2011. My 2019 has them and it just sounded weird driving in the rain with water splashing off them. I don't think there is a correlation with the tubs and rust, but who knows.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The only rational thing that makes sense on why it isn't standard is that maybe its the labor to install them that is keeping them from being a standard item. Its sure not the cost of the plastic!

DraKhen99

Reaction score
I thought they were standard.

AFAIK, they're only standard on Limited trucks.

They add a few pounds of weight, so they make it an option so they can list higher payload numbers. I really wish they were standard on all trucks - like others have said, without them the truck looks unfinished.

-John

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They were standard on 4th gens now on 5th gens they are not. I made sure to order them on my 2019. I dought they add more then a 2 lbs to the truck as they are really thin.

hulk181

Reaction score
Just ordered the rear wheelhouse liners and screws from MoparPartsGiant.com. With shipping and tax my total came out to $117.49. The shipping was only $16.28. That sure beats paying $112 shipping from RockAuto.com.

Evilemokid94

Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone doing this install

I did both my liners today and I left BOTH front and rear two piece liners in place and put the full liners in over top of them. EVERYTHING fit perfectly! Also the new liners I bought came with new clips and bolts so I had everything I needed right at my hands

Last edited:

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Just ordered from MoparPartsGiant with $17 shipping. RockAuto wanted $139 like someone said above, LOL

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just wanted to update everyone doing this install

I did both my liners today and I left BOTH front and rear two piece liners in place and put the full liners in over top of them. EVERYTHING fit perfectly! Also the new liners I bought came with new clips and bolts so I had everything I needed right at my hands

On Laramie the existing rear liner is two pieces that is supposed to be split apart and then you reuse the rear part of it. If you don't split the rear liner apart the holes don't really line up. Existing front liner you don't need to touch.

Check out this video

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
AFAIK, they're only standard on Limited trucks.

They add a few pounds of weight, so they make it an option so they can list higher payload numbers. I really wish they were standard on all trucks - like others have said, without them the truck looks unfinished.

-John
Hope thats not their logic to increase payload. Heck remove the spare, that saves more...

Evilemokid94

Reaction score
On Laramie the existing rear liner is two pieces that is supposed to be split apart and then you reuse the rear part of it. If you don't split the rear liner apart the holes don't really line up. Existing front liner you don't need to touch.

Check out this video
On my big horn the rear was a 2 piece setup aswell but I didn’t separate them, I kept everything as factory minus removing the bolts and inserting the new full liners and reinserting the bolts.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Hope thats not their logic to increase payload. Heck remove the spare, that saves more...

For many years, that's exactly what the manufacturers did - remove spares, liners, bumpers, anything to get the magical numbers to work. Real world trucks weren't so capable.

-John

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Check out this video
Like @Evilemokid94 my BigHorn install was slightly different (as follows) than this otherwise excellent Laramie video described:

- Needed to buy SIX EIGHT extra hex head screws, part # 6510175AA, $1 each, in stock locally
- Did NOT remove the rear inboard screw clip to shift it forward, since I re-used that mounting point to secure the rear backing piece (see next)
- Used the back half of the rear panel as described in the vid, but I reinstalled the screw at the inboard position for stability
- Reused a screw clip off the old front liner for the inboard center hole. Tapped it with a hammer to “lightly smash” it closed a tiny bit so it would stay put.

Other than that the video was spot on, and SUPER helpful. Liners in, took an hour or so.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For many years, that's exactly what the manufacturers did - remove spares, liners, bumpers, anything to get the magical numbers to work. Real world trucks weren't so capable.

-John
Das true, and they also tried the notorious “run flats” which were ot so hot on wear and high replacement cost...

Users who are viewing this thread