5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GoTide

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the forum. First post. I've searched for the GT but do not see any posts out there, so pardon me if I missed it. I'm at the ready to order phase. (from MD. who else!) I've narrowed it down to the Ram 1500 Laramie GT Night Edition with the Level 2 Package and Advanced Safety group, or a Ram 1500 Limited Night Edition with the Limited level 1 package and adding a 3.92 axle ratio. Both will be Crew Max 4v4s with 33 gallon tanks and 12" Unconnects. I'm strongly considering the paint protection film by Mopar, knowing how much I am going to spend.

The package on the GT has pushed it up to within $2000 of the Limited, though I can freeze the current rebates, which will be $1000 more in rebates on the GT, making it about a $3,000 difference.

I know they are very different, but I cannot make my mind up. There is nothing local to test drive and compare. I did not know if anyone had any experience with the GT package. I am leery of the eTorque, a forced option with the GT package. But I am also leery of the air suspension that comes standard on the Limited. I've seen some negative stories on the air suspension in regard to durability, though many were in cold weather areas such as Canada (I'm in the Memphis, TN area).

I currently have a well equipped 2019 Big Horn. I love it, except that hesitation off of the line. Does anyone has any experience with the GT? Also, any opinion on the air suspension or eTorque (do I expect more hesitation)? And the paint protection film, is it worth it?

I've enjoyed lurking over the last 3 days and reading all of your posts. Great Information. Any opinions or stories of experience are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I drove a Laramie GT, it was nice and sounded great, but I hated the console shifter. I love the Limited for it’s air ride, but know that will cause issues down the road.

If you really want a Limited, I would say go for it and don’t worry about the air suspension. There’ve been multiple people in subzero temperatures that haven’t had problems with the air suspension on the 5th gen. On top of that, retrofitting struts and rear springs are going to be easy and cheap when you decide a ride is not for you anymore. It is not easy and cheap to go the other way around.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
With just a $3000 difference, it's a no brainer. Get the Limited. I rarely see posts about the air suspension having issues.

As far as the hesitation (lag) on your Big Horn, you probably just need to recalibrate your drive-by-wire throttle. I don't know the procedure, but it's on this forum and it's very simple.

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
Don't be afraid of the eTorque.... After 1mos is getting used to it on the last truck, I actually prefer it.

My prior ram Trucks...

* 2013 ram 1500 Crew Cab Express
V8/6spd/3.21 4x4

No real options...
> Passed everything but a gas station. Horrible gas mileage. Traded back in 3 mo's later for $3k more than I bought it for.

* 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab SLT
V6/8spd/3.21 4x4

> Surprisingly great truck, added power fold mirrors, 8.4 radio, Auto Temp Control, UAQ AA CP radio & more. Basically made it into a bighorn/sport.

65k miles, no issues

* 2018 ram 1500 Crew cab Laramie Sport
V8/8spd/3.21 4x4

> Another great truck, level 2 heated/vented leather, rear heated seats, 8.4 AA/CP radio & tons of features.

30k miles, no issues (got a great trade in for it, $2k less than I bought it for)

* 2019 ram 1500 DT 5th Gen Quad cab, Laramie
V8 eTorque/8spd/3.92 4x2

> Level 1, 12" UAX radio, Blind Spot, etc

> Swapped out most of the chrome for sport/night edition parts.

>vGreat gas mileage for a full size truck (I drive 70 mi each day for work), and it was quick as can be.

> 19,900 miles when traded in to Mark Dodge, had the cracked rear window frame issue/rain weeping in... (New part on 2020+ trucks), along with defective/rebooting 12" radio after 4k miles, both replaced under warranty with no further issues. Was going to keep the truck, but the wife wanted bigger back seat area (wink) for luggage/passengers on trips so we ordered the 22 Rebel Crew Cab, 7mos ago that's still not built ... (Managed $2500 less than I paid for it at trade)

* 22 Limited 1500 CC Night edition
V8/8spd/3.92 4x4

> 5k miles on it so far after ~2 mos.

> Was a pain initially to get wireless AA setup (wired first, then go to wireless option) but it's solid in this truck.

> Ride is good, wireless phone charging is good though the case, limited leather and night edition interior is great along with the powered side steps.

> First truck with 33gal tank... I can make it 2 weeks on a tank now which I like.

> Lost a solid 2 mpg avg vs the 19 and truck doesn't feel as peppy as the eTorque did (adds 130ft/lb of torque when needed) .

> I have the same concerns about the air suspension.

* Very tempted to trade this limited in on the Rebel if it shows up because it has the Rambox's I've wanted on every truck since my first ram (& eTorque & more).

May keep the limited and get a swing case for the bed.

I used to keep vehicles for 8-12 years, don't know how I've become such an indecisive car owner.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

GoTide

Reaction score
Don't be afraid of the eTorque.... After 1mos is getting used to it on the last truck, I actually prefer it.

My prior ram Trucks...

* 2013 ram 1500 Crew Cab Express
V8/6spd/3.21 4x4

No real options...
> Passed everything but a gas station. Horrible gas mileage. Traded back in 3 mo's later for $3k more than I bought it for.

* 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab SLT
V6/8spd/3.21 4x4

> Surprisingly great truck, added power fold mirrors, 8.4 radio, Auto Temp Control, UAQ AA CP radio & more. Basically made it into a bighorn/sport.

65k miles, no issues

* 2018 ram 1500 Crew cab Laramie Sport
V8/8spd/3.21 4x4

> Another great truck, level 2 heated/vented leather, rear heated seats, 8.4 AA/CP radio & tons of features.

30k miles, no issues (got a great trade in for it, $2k less than I bought it for)

* 2019 ram 1500 DT 5th Gen Quad cab, Laramie
V8 eTorque/8spd/3.92 4x2

> Level 1, 12" UAX radio, Blind Spot, etc

> Swapped out most of the chrome for sport/night edition parts.

>vGreat gas mileage for a full size truck (I drive 70 mi each day for work), and it was quick as can be.

> 19,900 miles when traded in to Mark Dodge, had the cracked rear window frame issue/rain weeping in... (New part on 2020+ trucks), along with defective/rebooting 12" radio after 4k miles, both replaced under warranty with no further issues. Was going to keep the truck, but the wife wanted bigger back seat area (wink) for luggage/passengers on trips so we ordered the 22 Rebel Crew Cab, 7mos ago that's still not built ... (Managed $2500 less than I paid for it at trade)

* 22 Limited 1500 CC Night edition
V8/8spd/3.92 4x4

> 5k miles on it so far after ~2 mos.

> Was a pain initially to get wireless AA setup (wired first, then go to wireless option) but it's solid in this truck.

> Ride is good, wireless phone charging is good though the case, limited leather and night edition interior is great along with the powered side steps.

> First truck with 33gal tank... I can make it 2 weeks on a tank now which I like.

> Lost a solid 2 mpg avg vs the 19 and truck doesn't feel as peppy as the eTorque did (adds 130ft/lb of torque when needed) .

> I have the same concerns about the air suspension.

* Very tempted to trade this limited in on the Rebel if it shows up because it has the Rambox's I've wanted on every truck since my first ram (& eTorque & more).

May keep the limited and get a swing case for the bed.

I used to keep vehicles for 8-12 years, don't know how I've become such an indecisive car owner.

Great information! I've seen a few who currently own an eTorque that if they had it to do over again, they'd choose the regular Hemi. But it seemed it was more of a personal preference than anything else. My main concern is reliability and no hesitation. f I can get past that, I'm taking the 1-2 MPG benefit and going eTorque. Thanks for sharing!

GoTide

Reaction score
With just a $3000 difference, it's a no brainer. Get the Limited. I rarely see posts about the air suspension having issues.

As far as the hesitation (lag) on your Big Horn, you probably just need to recalibrate your drive-by-wire throttle. I don't know the procedure, but it's on this forum and it's very simple.
I was kinda thinking the same thing with it only being a $3000 difference. Quite frankly, I'm getting so much more for the $3,000 including the air suspension, rear cooling seats, power running boards, premium leather seats, heads up display, and digital mirror just to name a few. It truly is a no-brainer looking at it like that. But boy, that GT sounds great! I can always add the cold air exhaust and cold air intake aftermarket. I may not want to once I get the Limited if I end up going that route. Who knows.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not to sound like a broken record (from similar posts in other threads), but do not forget about the headlights. The LED projectors in the Limited are a good step above the LEDs in the Laramie (GT or not) in performance.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Great information! I've seen a few who currently own an eTorque that if they had it to do over again, they'd choose the regular Hemi. But it seemed it was more of a personal preference than anything else. My main concern is reliability and no hesitation. f I can get past that, I'm taking the 1-2 MPG benefit and going eTorque. Thanks for sharing!
There is no hesitation caused by the etorque system. The stop/start system will restart the engine before you can move your foot from the brake to the gas pedal. Any hesitation is present in both etorque and non-etorque hemi's, and is caused by the throttle by wire system. And like idahoktm said, can be mostly calibrated out. There are also throttle controllers which remove some or all of that hesitation as well.
Not to sound like a broken record (from similar posts in other threads), but do not forget about the headlights. The LED projectors in the Limited are a good step above the LEDs in the Laramie (GT or not) in performance.
The LED projector headlights on the Limited are much better than the LED reflector headlights on the Laramie. I've owned both and the difference between them is pretty noticeable. To me it would be worth the price difference just for the headlights.

Don't worry about the air suspension on 5th gens. The vast majority of issues with air suspension were with 4th gens. They redesigned the system for the 2019 model year, and there are very few reported problems with is on 5th gens. It's not just a matter of the trucks being newer. There were lots of reported issues with 4th gens even on trucks less than a year old. 5th gens are now on their 4th model year, so there has been more than sufficient time for air suspension issues to have surfaced. It's true that over the long run, air suspension will eventually fail. How long do you intend to keep this truck?

GoTide

Reaction score
There is no hesitation caused by the etorque system. The stop/start system will restart the engine before you can move your foot from the brake to the gas pedal. Any hesitation is present in both etorque and non-etorque hemi's, and is caused by the throttle by wire system. And like idahoktm said, can be mostly calibrated out. There are also throttle controllers which remove some or all of that hesitation as well.

The LED projector headlights on the Limited are much better than the LED reflector headlights on the Laramie. I've owned both and the difference between them is pretty noticeable. To me it would be worth the price difference just for the headlights.

Don't worry about the air suspension on 5th gens. The vast majority of issues with air suspension were with 4th gens. They redesigned the system for the 2019 model year, and there are very few reported problems with is on 5th gens. It's not just a matter of the trucks being newer. There were lots of reported issues with 4th gens even on trucks less than a year old. 5th gens are now on their 4th model year, so there has been more than sufficient time for air suspension issues to have surfaced. It's true that over the long run, air suspension will eventually fail. How long do you intend to keep this truck?
Hi mikeru82. Thank you for the information. VERY helpful! My intention is to keep the truck for a while. Maybe a long while. I turn 60 next month. I'm slowing down these days. No more traveling around the country each weekend for competitive soccer (my kid is in Vanderbilt now, only 200 miles east of us). This 2019 Ram that I have now, I've had it for 30 months and I only have 31,150 miles on it. The business that I own is a 4-minute drive from my home. I also don't foresee that much in the way of towing in the future. Just the occasional loaded pallet in the bed. There won't be that many miles put on it compared to my 2015 Tundra that I had before my 2019 Big Horn that I currently own. That one ran the roads.

GoTide

Reaction score
Very good point. I had not seen that in other threads. I appreciate you pointing that out. I already love the aesthetics of the Limited headlamp. Good to know the functionality is that big of an upgrade.

Herdfan2334

Reaction score
I have a limited night edition and I absolutely love mine. I’ve never driven a truck with such as smooth ride. I really liked my Lariat F-150 but I love my Limited Ram

Attachments

• DEBB44EF-029D-49D2-9FFA-50ADE52C70A9.jpeg
    DEBB44EF-029D-49D2-9FFA-50ADE52C70A9.jpeg
    103.7 KB · Views: 31

Mpgrimm2

Reaction score
.... But boy, that GT sounds great! I can always add the cold air exhaust and cold air intake aftermarket. I may not want to once I get the Limited if I end up going that route. Who knows.

There's a thread about adding the OEM GT exhaust.... Thinking about it if I keep the limited

Rebel GT Exhaust question

Post 23
Pictures from underneath from the muffler and rh resonator.

Yes ran the vin on a G/T we have on the lot for sale. Vin NN170371

Post 102
Look at your driver's side (LH) resonator, what are the numbers embossed on it?

C-9304-L = stock non G/T

C-9408-L = stock G/T

Stock muffler: C-9367

Also, anyone doing the install themselves, do yourself a favor and order this beforehand.

Lisle 38350 Exhaust Hanger Removal Pliers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012S9A5...t_i_6DH72QE6X5GYC8WPRE2T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Post 223
Here are a few install pics of what I'm talking about.

View attachment 117068

View attachment 117069

Post 265

Post 280
can we have the confirmed part numbers added to the first post to prevent confusion and additional asks?

I believe we are at:

68517364AA - driver side resonator (C-9408-L) + muffler (C-9396)

68517365AA - passenger side resonator

NEA is the sales code

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a limited night edition and I absolutely love mine. I’ve never driven a truck with such as smooth ride. I really liked my Lariat F-150 but I love my Limited Ram

Yeah, not trying to be a snob but the Limited is over the top outstanding. I love thus truck, zero complaints or issues. Etorque has been flawless

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Reaction score

1-Foot OFF of the brake and accelerator pedal
2-Press the START BUTTON until the RUN position is achieved but DO NOT start the vehicle. (If you do, turn off, open door and let everything reset before restarting).
3-Wait until all the instrument panels idiot/cycle lights go OUT (Check Engine light may stay on)
4-Slowly press the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and then slowly let off. I think a steady and consistent motion is best.
5a-Press START BUTTON again to turn everything off. (Open Door?) Start the truck as normal. That should recalibrate the pedal so that you are using its full range of motion in synch with the throttle body's opening.
or
5b-Press Brake pedal and START BUTTON to start truck.

h/t Condor757

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was in the same boat and for the price difference the Limited is the way to go. The nicer leather, HUD, air suspension, etc. make it worth it. I would skip the Mopar paint protection, you can probably get better for less or better coverage for the same money.

dc51786

Reaction score
I recently had the same toss up as few others on here and the OP. You can swap out parts and upgrades all day, but you can't (realistically) change the trim. So I echo what @ekaz said, all the interior touches, HUD, air ride, rear seat heating & cooling all make a difference in making the Limited feel like a luxury vehicle.

The only thing I am missing out on with the decision I made is that GT sound! Which IS a few parts and something that can easily be changed. I've already done the Cold Air Intake myself, and now I am trying to find someone local who will install the GT exhaust (and struggling there) but hoping to get the best of both worlds.

GoTide

Reaction score
You are indeed correct about the differences and what you can and cannot add. I ended up turning in an order for the Limited with the Night package, among other options. I too am looking at changing out the stock exhaust, adding the cold air intake, and also changing out the stock tires (the online reviews of the Bridgestone H/L are brutal). Now my struggle is properly matching the exhaust up to a Limited. I love the GT sound, but I may tone it down one level to blend in more with the luxury of the Limited yet prove a slight performance increase, a bit more of a bitey sound than stock and hopefully a slight MPG boost. After spending hours on YouTube, I'm thinking the Magnaflow D-Fit, the Flowmaster FlowFX Direct-Fit Muffler or the Flowmaster 50 HD series might fit that bill... maybe.

I've spotted the K&N series 63 and 77 cold air intake on YouTune. Supposedly the 77 series provides more of an HP boost. I don't know enough about it to make an educated decision yet. I'm still looking at the intake options. What did you go with?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You are indeed correct about the differences and what you can and cannot add. I ended up turning in an order for the Limited with the Night package, among other options. I too am looking at changing out the stock exhaust, adding the cold air intake, and also changing out the stock tires (the online reviews of the Bridgestone H/L are brutal). Now my struggle is properly matching the exhaust up to a Limited. I love the GT sound, but I may tone it down one level to blend in more with the luxury of the Limited yet prove a slight performance increase, a bit more of a bitey sound than stock and hopefully a slight MPG boost. After spending hours on YouTube, I'm thinking the Magnaflow D-Fit, the Flowmaster FlowFX Direct-Fit Muffler or the Flowmaster 50 HD series might fit that bill... maybe.

I've spotted the K&N series 63 and 77 cold air intake on YouTune. Supposedly the 77 series provides more of an HP boost. I don't know enough about it to make an educated decision yet. I'm still looking at the intake options. What did you go with?
Despite the claims and hype, no intake is going to offer any significant HP boost. The stock intake flows pretty well as is. Spend your money on something else if you're wanting an intake for performance. Now if a guy's motivation is for looks, then by all means, he should spend away on an intake they like the looks of. I'm going with the Mopar Ram air intake (the same one that comes on the GT's). Not because I'm expecting any performance increases, but because want to free up some engine bay space for a bigger inverter, and I love how it looks.

GoTide

Reaction score
Despite the claims and hype, no intake is going to offer any significant HP boost. The stock intake flows pretty well as is. Spend your money on something else if you're wanting an intake for performance. Now if a guy's motivation is for looks, then by all means, he should spend away on an intake they like the looks of. I'm going with the Mopar Ram air intake (the same one that comes on the GT's). Not because I'm expecting any performance increases, but because want to free up some engine bay space for a bigger inverter, and I love how it looks.
Ahhh. I am not mechanically inclined by any stretch of the imagination, so I appreciate the clarity. Not being mechanically inclined, I am sure I'll post several head-scratching comments over the course of my time on this board. I'll ask forgiveness ahead of time. As far as how it looks under the hood, I'm less inclined to spend $$$ on that vs the exterior appeal or performance (HP and MPG). Being I'm turning 60, I'm slowing it down a bit over my earlier years. I've also looked at the Pedal Master to eliminate the off-the-line hesitation and add a little pep, but worry about the codes being thrown that I've seen documented in the forums. Thanks for the information.

Users who are viewing this thread