5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Paultg

Reaction score
I could use a sounding board here - In the process of shopping, I visited several local dealers (each with their own pros/cons but none with very good, knowledgeable salesmen). When it came time to make the purchase, I emailed several and heard back from three. Over the weekend, I came to a verbal agreement over the phone with one dealership, but no deposit was left or paperwork was signed (even though I offered to do each). Here we are on Wednesday afternoon and I still haven't heard back from this dealership to finalize everything even though I reached out several times.

In the meantime, the other two dealers are asking me if I'm ready to accept their offers (one was identical to the offer accepted).

If the dealership I came to a verbal agreement with is all good and my truck order has actually been placed, I'm happy to stick with them. I'm just wondering why its been so quiet despite phone calls and texts. My main concern isn't that they'll honor the deal, its that this will be delayed. I'm ok if the order takes up to 10 weeks, but if that gets delayed a week or two because of a lack of action on the dealer's part, it will really put a kink in my plans to use the truck once it arrives.

Do I keep pestering the dealer where we agreed on a purchase, or do I reengage the other(s)? Should I just be patient and assume a lack of responsiveness to me doesn't indicate a lack of action in ordering?
This is just my opinion, but you don't order a $50K-$80K thing via verbal agreement. If you have no paperwork you have no order.
I would call the salesman back, explain another dealer is offering the same pricing, and if you don't have paperwork by the end of the day you are moving on.
If they don't get back to you buy end of the day, then you have already made your last phone call to them. Start with other dealer. Get it in writing too.

Paul G.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They haven’t even started building the 2021’s yet, so I don’t think you have to worry about it getting delayed. I’m sure all submitted orders just go into a queue until the factory begins building them. Now, how the factory decides what to build first from the queue, I’m not sure.

As far as the dealership with the verbal agreement, I honestly wouldn’t chock that up to much, unfortunately. Don’t assume anything until you have it in writing. I’d follow @Paultg advice.

Sergeant Jim

Reaction score
They haven’t even started building the 2021’s yet, so I don’t think you have to worry about it getting delayed. I’m sure all submitted orders just go into a queue until the factory begins building them. Now, how the factory decides what to build first from the queue, I’m not sure.

As far as the dealership with the verbal agreement, I honestly wouldn’t chock that up to much, unfortunately. Don’t assume anything until you have it in writing. I’d follow @Paultg advice.
there is a chart somewhere in these forms that show the order status codes. Among them are the "Build Priority" codes. From what I understand once a dealer enters tyhe order as a "Sold" vehicle it goes to the front of the line as a Priority 1.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
there is a chart somewhere in these forms that show the order status codes. Among them are the "Build Priority" codes. From what I understand once a dealer enters tyhe order as a "Sold" vehicle it goes to the front of the line as a Priority 1.

Yes, that is true. A “sold” order gets a higher priority over an order for regular dealer stock, and will be produced first. But, of all those “sold” orders in the queue, I’m not sure how the factory decides what order to produce those trucks in. Is it simply based on the date the order was placed and entered the queue, or are there other factors that determine when a truck enters production?

I’m actually kinda curious, so if anybody actually knows how it works, it’d be interested to know!

Last edited:

Panicvector426

Reaction score
Do you remember if they had an option for the new trailer tow group (sales code AHC - $1,790 MSRP) on the Rebel?
Yes they do have the new trailer towing group but you can not get the advanced safety group and the trailer tow group together

Chris3058

Reaction score
Good morning... my first post as a new member and new owner of a 20 Rebel ED Crew, Black. I custom ordered it in April and it arrived a few days ago. Prices are in CDN so ill convert to USD at the current 38% exchange for reference. I added all the safety stuff but no air suspension...my last Grand Cherokee had it and it had some serious issues....but thats another discussion.

Sticker was $80,890 CDN ($60, 325)
Discount $13,500 ($10,067) - includes 2 years maintenance, and some other accessories like weathertech liners and tint.

Total $67,390 ($50,257) + tax at 0%

Its kinda the same deal most are getting now - and the discount was decent when I ordered it.

Chris

Tonner

Reaction score
Yes they do have the new trailer towing group but you can not get the advanced safety group and the trailer tow group together
Is that only on the Rebel that you can’t have the new trailer tow group and the advanced safety group. I just ordered a 2021 Laramie yesterday and I was able to add both.

TAL2GK

Reaction score
I was also able to order AHC (Trailer Tow Group) and ALP (Advanced Safety Group) on my Longhorn.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
There's no way you were 45K OTD on a 59K MSRP Truck.
Sorry I don't believe it.

That would mean they gave you nearly 20k off MSRP AKA Over 30% off.
Doesn't happen, you're doing bad math somewhere.
or you had about 10 grand equity on ur trade - (it happens...not to me but it happens :)

BLR87

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with removing the Rebel graphics/decals? Unfortunately, a large amount of potential truck buys have those decals for an additional $1,000 which sucks hard.

I'm considering a few but would immediately have to remove them. . .and not destroy the paint in the process.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with removing the Rebel graphics/decals? Unfortunately, a large amount of potential truck buys have those decals for an additional $1,000 which sucks hard.

I'm considering a few but would immediately have to remove them. . .and not destroy the paint in the process.

You need to look at the build date on the truck and determine how long its been sitting in the sun 1st. If the truck has been sitting for 9 months or so, there's a good chance that the paint will be slightly darker beneath the decals. This will remove them, what I used when painting cars

3m-woodgrain-and-stripe-adhesive-remover-08908-18-fl-oz.jpg

Redd_Jedd

Reaction score

You need to look at the build date on the truck and determine how long its been sitting in the sun 1st. If the truck has been sitting for 9 months or so, there's a good chance that the paint will be slightly darker beneath the decals. This will remove them, what I used when painting cars

3m-woodgrain-and-stripe-adhesive-remover-08908-18-fl-oz.jpg

If you are going to shell out up to an extra $1,000 on a truck with the hood and side graphics ($500 a piece), I would advise to either skip that vehicle and find another without either or order a truck without them. That is serious money to be throwing away on a set of options you are going immediately rip off, only to have a potential paint mismatch in spots or even worse on a brand new vehicle.

No dealer is going to "eat the cost of them" because you don't like them (I tried on a Rebel I was looking at) and going the removal route is a serious penalty that will negate $1,000 you negotiate off the price of the vehicle. And if you have to sell it any time soon, you may need to explain to potential buyers that there used to be graphics on the truck but you removed them, making them look that much harder at the paint in the spots where they used to be.

Last edited:

Ram1981

Reaction score
I got buyer order on 2020 limited all blk here is a copy of the order-
MSRP/Retail $67,235.00
Selling Price $58,860.65
Rebate $3,000.00
Trade Allowance 0.00
Trade Difference $58,860.65
Total Taxes $3,787.18
Proc/Doc Fee $150.00
Government Fee $190.00
Accessories $1,999.00
Trade Payoff 0.00
Cash Down 0.00
Amount Financed $61,986.83
Total Savings $8,374.35
*Optional Accessories ELO 1 Yr SVR: $299, THEFT
PROTECTION: $399, GULF COAST PROTECTION PKG:
$470, NITROFILL: $149, WHEEL LOCKS: $99,
PERMAPLATE WINDOW TINT: $399, SOUTHFORK SIG.
PLAN: $184

The accessories for$1999 can i opt out of it, and what do you guys think of the price

BLR87

Reaction score
If you are going to shell out up to an extra $1,000 on a truck with the hood and side graphics ($500 a piece), I would advise to either skip that vehicle and find another without either or order a truck without them. That is serious money to be throwing away on a set of options you are going immediately rip off, only to have a potential paint mismatch in spots or even worse on a brand new vehicle.

No dealer is going to "eat the cost of them" because you don't like them (I tried on a Rebel I was looking at) and going the removal route is a serious penalty that will negate $1,000 you negotiate off the price of the vehicle. And if you have to sell it any time soon, you may need to explain to potential buyers that there used to be graphics on the truck but you removed them, making them look that much harder at the paint in the spots where they used to be.

Redd_Jedd,

All valid points and well taken. The $1,000 addition for the undesirable side and hood graphics was in the works of negotiating off the overall cost. But the paint defect possibility is causing me to second guess this option. Thanks for the input.

Paultg

Reaction score
I got buyer order on 2020 limited all blk here is a copy of the order-
MSRP/Retail $67,235.00
Selling Price $58,860.65
Rebate $3,000.00
Trade Allowance 0.00
Trade Difference $58,860.65
Total Taxes $3,787.18
Proc/Doc Fee $150.00
Government Fee $190.00
Accessories $1,999.00
Trade Payoff 0.00
Cash Down 0.00
Amount Financed $61,986.83
Total Savings $8,374.35
*Optional Accessories ELO 1 Yr SVR: $299, THEFT
PROTECTION: $399, GULF COAST PROTECTION PKG:
$470, NITROFILL: $149, WHEEL LOCKS: $99,
PERMAPLATE WINDOW TINT: $399, SOUTHFORK SIG.
PLAN: $184

The accessories for$1999 can i opt out of it, and what do you guys think of the price

Not terrible. But most are getting a higher dealer discount.
Your Dealer discount is $5374 (~8%).
Then rebates add $3k.
It be better if the dealer discount was 10-13% then add rebates.

I’m not sure what a “Government Fee” for $190 is. Seems like a way to keep their dealer fee “low” and add something most won’t question or try to negotiate out. For $150+$190 is still a reasonable fee.

I’d skip the $2k in accessories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
.... It appears now that the MSRP no longer “includes” the destination charge.

Just when i think FCA can't get anymore shady & underhanded, the list of the things they have, "snuck in & took out" on their 5th Gens just keeps growing...

Forget about a "fine toothed comb":, to buy a truck from FCA these days, it seems you need a magnifying glass, a Chrysler interpreter AND a Crystal Ball (just in case) to insure you are not "schnickered" when going down that window sticker... Never have i ever thought that the way they "word" an option could bite ya in the butt so bad" but it can so BEWARE....

i love theses 5th Gens, truly i do, but you better be 100% on top of your game before, while & after shopping because it takes a boatload of patience & an incredible amount of luck these days if you're thinking of "acquiring one and experiencing almost complete satisfaction when purchasing one" grrrr ....... Lord have mercy!

Wsmith

Reaction score
I bought a Big Horn, gray, night, level 2, 33 gal tank, protection package and 5.7. (It was on the lot). Also looked at a Laramie a hundred or so miles away. Liked the looks of the big horn better and got more than double the rebates on the Big Horn.
MSRP: $51,655
Invoice: $49,232
Rebates: $6,500
Selling Price: $42,732
I got the 4 year wheel, paint and windshield plan plus four years of oil changes and rotor and brake replacement- 1 per year for 4 years. for $1,706, I think the asking price was over $3,000. I just kept telling the finance guy I didn't want any additional warranties until he caved. I feel good about it, even though I know he ultimately won.

RB1500

Reaction score
Picked our truck up a few days ago. Ordered from dealer 2020 Bighorn with 16k options. MSRP 60,890 , paid 47895 before taxes and 250.00 dealer fee.
21% off after all rebates etc. qualified for first responder and competitor truck owner (no trade in)

Attachments

• 7A5F21A9-D9E3-4742-A916-737E9EC5FC92.jpeg
    7A5F21A9-D9E3-4742-A916-737E9EC5FC92.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 41

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just when i think FCA can't get anymore shady & underhanded, the list of the things they have, "snuck in & took out" on their 5th Gens just keeps growing...

Forget about a "fine toothed comb":, to buy a truck from FCA these days, it seems you need a magnifying glass, a Chrysler interpreter AND a Crystal Ball (just in case) to insure you are not "schnickered" when going down that window sticker... Never have i ever thought that the way they "word" an option could bite ya in the butt so bad" but it can so BEWARE....

i love theses 5th Gens, truly i do, but you better be 100% on top of your game before, while & after shopping because it takes a boatload of patience & an incredible amount of luck these days if you're thinking of "acquiring one and experiencing almost complete satisfaction when purchasing one" grrrr ....... Lord have mercy!

For what it’s worth, I believe there’s a disconnect between what some members are saying in terms of the Destination Fee no longer being included in the MSRP. when you look at a Ram’s window sticker, the $1695 Destination Fee is indeed included in the trucks Total Price listed at the bottom of the sticker. This was true back in 2019, heck even on our 2017, and still holds true on the 2020’s.

When people are buying a truck, in no way shape or form should the dealer be tacking on an additional $1695 “destination fee” to the purchase price, because it is already included in the vehicle’s Total Price.

Users who are viewing this thread