5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

RGLAF

Reaction score
For a Laramie, you might be looking at $1000 to $1500 as far as incentives right out of the gate. I feel that would be your absolute max though. The higher the trim, the lower the incentives. Rebels, Limiteds, Longhorns might have $500, if anything at all.

Currently, 2020 Laramies have approximately (based on region/location) $3000 in incentives. It’ll be interesting to see where 2020 incentives are at the beginning of next week with the beginning of the new month.

In the Virginia NOVA area as of this past Friday Laramies have a discount of at least $8,000 plus a $4,500 rebate; i just got my truck on Friday.

Also in-regards to the Destination/freight all dealers in the NOVA area add destination back in as a separate line item after they apply discount. so that $8K discount actually comes out to $6,305. I went back and forth with 2 different dealerships and they said the same thing "we are giving you an $8K discount, whats the problem?". None were wiling to listen that giving me an $8K discount and then adding back in a line item from the original price does not equal i'm getting a an $8K discount.

I called FCA and talked to them about how the Dealers are applying the discounts and they said that if the discount is an FCA discount the dealer must give the full discount to the buyer or they will not be reimbursed by FCA;. Caveot being that the discount is an FCA discount vs dealer discount. FCA said they check/review this when dealers submit purchase contracts to them for discount reimbursement.

The FCA rep said if I wanted to open a grievance/compliant they would review the sales contract and they have had instances where the dealer "incorrectly" applied the discount resulting in the buyer not receiving the full discount the dealer submitted for reimbursement and FCA required the dealer or FCA reimburse buyer that amount via mailed check.

So I plan on submitting my sales contract to FCA for them to review and maybe I will get my destination back which is $1,695. We will see what happens.

Last edited:

Tonner

Reaction score
In the Virginia NOVA area as of this past Friday Laramies have a discount of at least $8,000 plus a $4,500 rebate; i just got my truck on Friday.

Also in-regards to the Destination/freight all dealers in the NOVA area add destination back in as a separate line item after they apply discount. so that $8K discount actually comes out to $6,305. I went back and forth with 2 different dealerships and they said the same thing "we are giving you an $8K discount, whats the problem?". None were wiling to listen that giving me an $8K discount and then adding back in a line item from the original price does not equal i'm getting a an $8K discount.

I called FCA and talked to them about how the Dealers are applying the discounts and they said that if the discount is an FCA discount the dealer must give the full discount to the buyer or they will not be reimbursed by FCA;. Caveot being that the discount is an FCA discount vs dealer discount. FCA said they check/review this when dealers submit purchase contracts to them for discount reimbursement.

The FCA rep said if I wanted to open a grievance/compliant they would review the sales contract and they have had instances where the dealer "incorrectly" applied the discount resulting in the buyer not receiving the full discount the dealer submitted for reimbursement and FCA required the dealer or FCA reimburse buyer that amount via mailed check.

So I plan on submitting my sales contract to FCA for them to review and maybe I will get my destination back which is $1,695. We will see what happens.
What discount would FCA reimburse them for? I’m not following? The discount is at the dealer discretion. They are not required to give you 8k off MSRP Unless you are getting it at EP which would be the only FCA discount close to 8k I could imagine. But the EP price is listed right on the invoice. I typed in NOVA zip code and it is still showing $3000 in rebates on the builder on ramtrucks .com. What is totaling the $4500?

Paultg

Reaction score
This 2021 Dealer Discount and Destination fee situation is surprising. I still think it is just a big misunderstanding and really the issue is the dealers aren't explaining it well.
I think what they are doing is on the left of my example, but people think what is happening is the example on the right.
Folks really need to pay attention and ask to see the math. What $ amount are they using to calculate the dealer discount, Window MSRP that includes destination, or some other amount that excludes it.

Dealer Discount & Destination.JPG

RGLAF

Reaction score
What discount would FCA reimburse them for? I’m not following? The discount is at the dealer discretion. They are not required to give you 8k off MSRP Unless you are getting it at EP which would be the only FCA discount close to 8k I could imagine. But the EP price is listed right on the invoice. I typed in NOVA zip code and it is still showing $3000 in rebates on the builder on ramtrucks .com. What is totaling the $4500?

Correct the dealer isn't required to give it to you but if they do then all of it has to be given to the buyer they cant pocket part of the discount claiming it was given to customer. . i.e. if they say they are giving an $8K discount off MSRP they can't add back in items that made up the MSRP to begin with after they apply the discount. That would lead them to charging buyer for those items/options and then getting reimbursed for those same items from FCA. That's how it was explained to me.

See attached. Apparently there are specific discounts for certain vins too, not saying that was my case. I'm military so I used USAA for their discount. And the dealer did not break down the discounts for me; basically what the attached quote is all the info i got.

Attachments

• Quote_Redacted.pdf
    437.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Paultg

Reaction score
See attached. Apparently there are specific discounts for certain vins too, not saying that was my case. I'm military so I used USAA for their discount. And the dealer did not break down the discounts for me; basically what the attached quote is all the info i got.
So yeah I think that is BS. Here is the window sticker for that VIN. While there $8K discount is great, they are adding in $1695 when it is already included in the MSRP.
Also, the $799 dealer doc fee is crazy (similar to Koons fees..). I would not do business with a dealer that is doing this; no matter what the discount amount is. - Paul G.

Attachments

• WindowSticker 1C6SRFRT3LN336268.pdf
    95.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Quote_Redacted.pdf
    437.1 KB · Views: 18

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I was only referencing manufacturer rebates/incentives, not dealer discounts, as that’s what Tonner was asking about.

Tonner

Reaction score
Correct the dealer isn't required to give it to you but if they do then all of it has to be given to the buyer they cant pocket part of the discount claiming it was given to customer. . i.e. if they say they are giving an $8K discount off MSRP they can't add back in items that made up the MSRP to begin with after they apply the discount. That would lead them to charging buyer for those items/options and then getting reimbursed for those same items from FCA. That's how it was explained to me.

#1. Thank you for your service.
Agreed. That is some shady **** with the destination fee. I bet most people don’t even realize they are doing that. The salesman I worked with just kept getting the math wrong. I had to keep double checking the math with my phone to where he had so many scratch outs I made him start over.

RGLAF

Reaction score
You are very welcome. So yeah they couldn't really give me answer to why they calculated like that but if they were doing something deceitful I hope FCA intervenes. Bottom line i am happy with the vehicle and what i paid for it at current cost and if I get a check in the mail for $1,600 that will make it even better.

AK103

Reaction score

How'd you manage $4500 in rebates?
I don't see that on the RAM site.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I believe rebates are dependent on your zip code, so they can be different from one region to another. In Southern California, Ram is only offering $3K in rebates on the Laramie trim.

AK103

Reaction score
I believe rebates are dependent on your zip code, so they can be different from one region to another. In Southern California, Ram is only offering $3K in rebates on the Laramie trim.

Is there a site to check?

j_drew

Reaction score

$4500 shouldn't be too hard to hit.

Laramie currently has $3000 cash allowance, National Retail Bonus / Chrysler Capital Bonus Cash / National Retail Consumer Cash.

Add in USAA or SAM'S Club ($1000) and a one or two others should get you mid-$4000's for incentives. (My area has Non-FCA Conquest (own a non-FCA car) $1000 and Non-FCA Truck conquest (own a non-FCA truck) $1000).

Unless I'm missing something, July's rebates are terrible. I don't really know what to expect from August though. So, who knows? this could be the best they do.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless I'm missing something, July's rebates are terrible. I don't really know what to expect from August though. So, who knows? this could be the best they do.

It really all depends on the trim you're looking at. For example, Big Horns in Southern California have $6,000 in rebates from Ram currently, which I feel is pretty good. Add in a decent dealer discount, you're looking at at least $10K off MSRP.

It'll definitely be interesting to see what August brings in terms of rebates. Inventory levels have been increasing and 2021 ordering is open, so we'll see if those factor in. August could be another sub-par month, with September really seeing a difference as at that point the factory will have transitioned to building 2021's.

tom318

Reaction score
This is just my opinion, but you don't order a $50K-$80K thing via verbal agreement. If you have no paperwork you have no order.
I would call the salesman back, explain another dealer is offering the same pricing, and if you don't have paperwork by the end of the day you are moving on.
If they don't get back to you buy end of the day, then you have already made your last phone call to them. Start with other dealer. Get it in writing too.

Paul G.

I'm starting to this this with my order. I keep trying to order.....supposedly its ordered but i haven't received any emails or anything. The paperwork i have is the build sheet with the price "handwritten" on the bottom. I've asked several time to email me all the info in writing along with the build sheet of what was ordered and still nothing. Suppository they ordered the truck Saturday. I've signed nothing and gave no money, but they did run my credit through FCA. Not sure if this is normal for ordering but i'm currently not a fan of how its going. The initial process and getting a good price went smooth, but making this reality isn't going well in my opinion.

j_drew

Reaction score
It really all depends on the trim you're looking at. For example, Big Horns in Southern California have $6,000 in rebates from Ram currently, which I feel is pretty good. Add in a decent dealer discount, you're looking at at least $10K off MSRP.

It'll definitely be interesting to see what August brings in terms of rebates. Inventory levels have been increasing and 2021 ordering is open, so we'll see if those factor in. August could be another sub-par month, with September really seeing a difference as at that point the factory will have transitioned to building 2021's.

That's a really good point. I didn't consider some of the other trims. When I said July is terrible, I meant the trims I'm looking at do not have a lot of rebates. =/

Honestly, this is my first time buying a new car in almost 15 years. I'm completely perplexed at how little information there is for all of this... But for this thread, I'd be shooting in the dark.

I've put in requests for quotes to 15+ dealerships in my state. I've only received 3 in return. Of those, only 1 dealer has walked me through what incentives could apply, but wasn't willing to give me a negotiated price unless I came in to his dealership with proof of everything I qualified for (understandable; but I live 3 hours from him).

Starting to wonder if Criswell / Koons are legitimate and worth the trip from South Florida...

MrB

Reaction score
I'm starting to this this with my order. I keep trying to order.....supposedly its ordered but i haven't received any emails or anything. The paperwork i have is the build sheet with the price "handwritten" on the bottom. I've asked several time to email me all the info in writing along with the build sheet of what was ordered and still nothing. Suppository they ordered the truck Saturday. I've signed nothing and gave no money, but they did run my credit through FCA. Not sure if this is normal for ordering but i'm currently not a fan of how its going. The initial process and getting a good price went smooth, but making this reality isn't going well in my opinion.
My build sheet was signed by both the dealer and me and they put a $1,000 deposit on my credit card (everything via text/email as I've never been to this dealership in person)

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a really good point. I didn't consider some of the other trims. When I said July is terrible, I meant the trims I'm looking at do not have a lot of rebates. =/

Honestly, this is my first time buying a new car in almost 15 years. I'm completely perplexed at how little information there is for all of this... But for this thread, I'd be shooting in the dark.

I've put in requests for quotes to 15+ dealerships in my state. I've only received 3 in return. Of those, only 1 dealer has walked me through what incentives could apply, but wasn't willing to give me a negotiated price unless I came in to his dealership with proof of everything I qualified for (understandable; but I live 3 hours from him).

Starting to wonder if Criswell / Koons are legitimate and worth the trip from South Florida...

Yeah, unfortunately, rebates for Laramie's, Rebels, Longhorns, and Limiteds are pretty weak right now. They will always be lower than the Big Horns, but for this time of year, they're pretty darn low. I've had the same experience with requesting info from dealers and getting nothing back. It seems to be the norm with Ram/FCA dealers, which is unfortunate. Of the ones I do hear back from, they just want to get me into the dealership, which is definitely one of their tactics.

I've heard good things about Criswell...Koons seems to be hit or miss. Criswell also has a better deal for forum members than Koons. This seems to be mostly from guys special ordering though. Not sure about buying a truck from current stock, but I imagine they'd honor the same discount.

Paultg

Reaction score
My build sheet was signed by both the dealer and me and they put a $1,000 deposit on my credit card (everything via text/email as I've never been to this dealership in person)
Me too. Criswell provided a hand written sales sheet for me to sign (which had the numbers discussed), and they also provided a build sheet I had to review and initial all options and send back. Once I did that we did a $500 deposit via credit card and they ordered the truck. Since the order Carl has checked in a few times and updated me:
1. Sent VIN
2. Sent confirmed POC sheet from Chrysler that I could check to make sure order was correct
3. Updates on build status.

My truck is in a close phase of completion, or has shipped. Not sure which yet. I am now in the process of communicating with Carl on the more detailed paperwork & delivery stuff since I am out of state and doing my own financing. I want to be sure I don't need to do anything in NH prior to heading down there. But so far it's all been going well.

tom318

Reaction score

Similar but no signatures on the build sheet. Id feel better if they did that at lease. Just had written price + Tax + title and license. Then he wrote a statement that says any available rebates/coupons will be applied at time of delivery. They have my card info but $0 was charged and I was told the truck was ordered Thursday (7/23). I have no texts/emails since it was a local dealer. All i want is an email with exactly what they ordered and the price included in that email. Ill stop in today and sort it out hopefully. I'd just feel a bit more comfort with more paperwork in my hands, this is a lot of $$$$$$.

Users who are viewing this thread