5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a Big Horn, gray, night, level 2, 33 gal tank, protection package and 5.7. (It was on the lot). Also looked at a Laramie a hundred or so miles away. Liked the looks of the big horn better and got more than double the rebates on the Big Horn.
MSRP: $51,655
Invoice: $49,232
Rebates: $6,500
Selling Price: $42,732
I got the 4 year wheel, paint and windshield plan plus four years of oil changes and rotor and brake replacement- 1 per year for 4 years. for $1,706, I think the asking price was over $3,000. I just kept telling the finance guy I didn't want any additional warranties until he caved. I feel good about it, even though I know he ultimately won.

Nicely done. Yeah those finance guys are slick. When I bought my 2019 Big Horn last October, I walked into the finance guys office grinning with my $38700 negotiated purchase price (down from $52900 MSRP). Before I knew it he had tacked on $8000 worth of product (extended 3rd party warranty, free maintenance first 10yrs/100k miles, tire wheel and windshield protection, etc.) all while keeping my proposed monthly payment the same! (How do they do that??) When I got home I knew I’d gotten fleeced so I texted a pic of the invoice to my good friend who runs a couple of dealerships locally. He confirmed the fleecing. So I went back two days later and had them remove everything. They did, much to their credit.

Paultg

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I believe there’s a disconnect between what some members are saying in terms of the Destination Fee no longer being included in the MSRP. when you look at a Ram’s window sticker, the $1695 Destination Fee is indeed included in the trucks Total Price listed at the bottom of the sticker. This was true back in 2019, heck even on our 2017, and still holds true on the 2020’s.

When people are buying a truck, in no way shape or form should the dealer be tacking on an additional $1695 “destination fee” to the purchase price, because it is already included in the vehicle’s Total Price.
I don't think they are tacking it back on a second time to be honest. I think their is a big misunderstanding about what is going on with 2021.
I think FCA is now breaking out the destination fee from the total MSRP (which makes sense); in turn when you are working with a dealer on a discount they area also not including the $1695 as part of any dealer discount structure. Everyone just pays the $1695 one time, it's freight after all, and it is not subject to being discounted.

What I can't figure out yet is:
Are the 2021 MSRP amounts lower now, and once you add the $1695 to it, they are similar or slightly higher to the same truck build as a 2020 with MSRP including destination?
Or, Is the 2021 MSRP the same as a 2020 (2020 that was with destination included), and now FCA is adding the destination in on top of it, making the 2021 model even more $$ compared to the same 2020 truck.

I wanted to build my 2020 as a 2021 today to check, but you can't do it yet on ramtrucks.com

- Paul G.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I don't think they are tacking it back on a second time to be honest. I think their is a big misunderstanding about what is going on with 2021.
I think FCA is now breaking out the destination fee from the total MSRP (which makes sense); in turn when you are working with a dealer on a discount they area also not including the $1695 as part of any dealer discount structure. Everyone just pays the $1695 one time, it's freight after all, and it is not subject to being discounted.

Are the 2021 MSRP amounts lower now, and once you add the $1695 to it, they are similar or slightly higher to the same truck build as a 2020 with MSRP including destination?
Or, Is the 2021 MSRP the same as a 2020 (2020 that was with destination included), and now FCA is adding the destination in on top of it, making the 2021 model even more $$ compared to the same 2020 truck.

I wanted to build my 2020 as a 2021 today to check, but you can't do it yet on ramtrucks.com

- Paul G.

My take is that FCA isn’t the problem. They may be separating out destination charge from the MSRP BUT dealers are just seeing this as an opportunity to add back that destination charge after already including it in the price as normal to pad their bottom lines. Just another thing to watch as savvy consumers is all.

Bas

Reaction score
What I see is that on the website (like Koons for example) they list the MSRP first, followed by their 'wow' price. MSRP is including destination, the 'wow' price is not. You don't find out the latter until you ask them to really price the thing and suddenly a $1695 fee is added making the deal not so hot anymore. I was told that 'every dealer does that' and walked.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I honestly feel that 2021 will be the same as 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, etc. The $1695 will be included in the Total Price aka MSRP. If any of the members who ordered a 2021 have their trucks order sheet (see below), they'll see the last line item of $1695 for the Destination Fee which is included in the Total Price at the bottom of the sheet in bold.

As others have said, I don't think this is anything new as far as FCA is concerned. However, I do feel this is (some) Dealers trying to take advantage and make some extra money.

Attachments

• 9F2B4099-6005-4ADB-B1FF-F373A67025C4_1_201_a.jpeg
    9F2B4099-6005-4ADB-B1FF-F373A67025C4_1_201_a.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 69

dgolay

Reaction score

- Paul G.

I ordered a 2021 Longhorn and compared to the 2020 with exact same options was a bit higher priced total MSRP. You can configure the 2020 truck to compare with the below and the price for a 2021 is as follows for a Longhorn,
Base price $55,180
Hemi MDS VVT $1795
Silver Metallic $200
Sunroof $1495
Advanced Safety group $1695
Body Color Bumpers $195
Longhorn Level 1 Equip $3895
Freight - $1695

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I ordered a 2021 Longhorn and compared to the 2020 with exact same options was a bit higher priced total MSRP. You can configure the 2020 truck to compare with the below and the price for a 2021 is as follows for a Longhorn,
Base price $55,180
Hemi MDS VVT $1795
Silver Metallic $200
Sunroof $1495
Body Color Bumpers $195
Freight - $1695

That's kind of surprising. Usually the last base price increase for the outgoing MY ends up being the same as the new MY. The current Longhorn Base Price for MY 2020 is $54640 and your Base Price for MY 2021 is $55180 which represents an increase of $540 which to me is high. The options you posted are still the same cost. I'd be interested in seeing what the base price of the Limited increased by (assuming it's probably the same $540).

SDRebel2021

Reaction score

- Paul G.
For the most part, the MSRP didn't change from 2020. A couple of build items are higher. For example, the 5.7 Hemi/E-torque on a Rebel used to be $1695 and is now $1995. The trailer tow group has new tech so it went up by as much as $1300 depending on the trim. And the destination fee should be paid only once.

SDRebel2021

Reaction score
Is that only on the Rebel that you can’t have the new trailer tow group and the advanced safety group. I just ordered a 2021 Laramie yesterday and I was able to add both.
Actually, you CAN have both on the 2021 Rebel. You just can't also tack on the Comfort/Convenience Group.

dgolay

Reaction score
That's kind of surprising. Usually the last base price increase for the outgoing MY ends up being the same as the new MY. The current Longhorn Base Price for MY 2020 is $54640 and your Base Price for MY 2021 is $55180 which represents an increase of $540 which to me is high. The options you posted are still the same cost. I'd be interested in seeing what the base price of the Limited increased by (assuming it's probably the same $540).
Less than a 1% increase is actually fairly low in my opinion.. When a new model comes out (such as in 2019) sometimes the base price doesn't increase much in the first year after (2020) - but in my experience it typically goes up every year and options many times change prices as well and/or a combination of both - the cost of living increases by 2-3 percent per year so vehicles have to increase as well most times.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I believe there’s a disconnect between what some members are saying in terms of the Destination Fee no longer being included in the MSRP. when you look at a Ram’s window sticker, the $1695 Destination Fee is indeed included in the trucks Total Price listed at the bottom of the sticker. This was true back in 2019, heck even on our 2017, and still holds true on the 2020’s.

When people are buying a truck, in no way shape or form should the dealer be tacking on an additional $1695 “destination fee” to the purchase price, because it is already included in the vehicle’s Total Price.

Hi Casey! i'm not saying they're double charging, i am just making the point that having bought over 15 RAMS (2nd gens to 5th gens), THIS GEN is the absolutely MOST confusing & even misleading pricing / purchase than in any previous gens. With any of my previous purchases, never experienced even one "GOTCHA!" but with the 5th Gen it happened to me AT LEAST 3 times.... (and that's AFTER i had disected, researched, inquired and picked a ton of dealer's brains.....wait, scratch that last one : )

Last edited:

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
Less than a 1% increase is actually fairly low in my opinion.. When a new model comes out (such as in 2019) sometimes the base price doesn't increase much in the first year after (2020) - but in my experience it typically goes up every year and options many times change prices as well and/or a combination of both - the cost of living increases by 2-3 percent per year so vehicles have to increase as well most times.

My point is they just increased the baseprice $250 recently for the 2020s and now a $540 increase for MY 2021. That's high. Typically you see the first base price of the new MY be the same as the last price increase of the previous MY. These trucks are already overpriced as it is and I understand it is what it is but that's a big increase in such a short time.

dgolay

Reaction score
My point is they just increased the baseprice $250 recently for the 2020s and now a $540 increase for MY 2021. That's high. Typically you see the first base price of the new MY be the same as the last price increase of the previous MY. These trucks are already overpriced as it is and I understand it is what it is but that's a big increase in such a short time.

Yes, I agree trucks are much too expensive, and getting more expensive. Popularity drives some of that increase. However, the average price of pickup trucks has increased by an average of 3% annually for the last 10 years according to the article below written the beginning 2020 - so even if you add the $250 mid year increase in 2020 with the $540 increase in 2021 that is still just over 1%...

https://theweeklydriver.com/2020/02/buyer-beware-average-price-for-a-new-pick-up-truck-now-50000/

Redd_Jedd

Reaction score
Redd_Jedd,

All valid points and well taken. The $1,000 addition for the undesirable side and hood graphics was in the works of negotiating off the overall cost. But the paint defect possibility is causing me to second guess this option. Thanks for the input.

Ah, I see.

When I was talking to dealers back in March before the virus, I was not able to get one to drop the $1000 for the hood and side graphics plus another $800 on the 1 Year RAM Telematics. They wouldn't even split the difference on any of those options. Not sure who did the ordering on some of these lot trucks but I don't know who but a business buys a truck with the Telematics, let alone it being on a Rebel. And I did see that option combo on Rebels at a few dealers back then. Suffice to say, I did not buy for an extra $1800 of options I didn't want. Someone eventually bought it though, so I guess there is a lid for every pot.

Last edited:

Rambunktious

Reaction score
Base price $55,180
Hemi MDS VVT $1795
Silver Metallic $200
Sunroof $1495
Body Color Bumpers $195
Freight - $1695
That's funny. When I was reading your build, I was thinking to myself, "I don't remember typing this." My order sheet reads almost exactly the same, except I ordered the HEMI with eTorque and the 3.92 gear ratio. Otherwise, exact same truck. Makes me feel good knowing there is someone else out there with the same great taste.

Tonner

Reaction score
I’m still seeing the $1695 Destination fee included in the MSRP. This is what I ordered. I ended up getting it for $59626 and I’m hoping there are some kind of rebates when it gets delivered. That’s almost $10k off before rebates. What were the previous years like for rebates on a brand new model year when they eventually started being delivered? Any precedent to base this years rebates off of?

Attachments

• E07FE052-0E77-4D00-8443-7C6FED1E4052.jpeg
    E07FE052-0E77-4D00-8443-7C6FED1E4052.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 56

Bas

Reaction score
Seems like a great price, I can't even get 10K off with the rebates for 2020's sitting on the lot. Where you at?

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m still seeing the $1695 Destination fee included in the MSRP. This is what I ordered. I ended up getting it for $59626 and I’m hoping there are some kind of rebates when it gets delivered. That’s almost $10k off before rebates. What were the previous years like for rebates on a brand new model year when they eventually started being delivered? Any precedent to base this years rebates off of?

For a Laramie, you might be looking at $1000 to $1500 as far as incentives right out of the gate. I feel that would be your absolute max though. The higher the trim, the lower the incentives. Rebels, Limiteds, Longhorns might have $500, if anything at all.

Currently, 2020 Laramies have approximately (based on region/location) $3000 in incentives. It’ll be interesting to see where 2020 incentives are at the beginning of next week with the beginning of the new month.

Tonner

Reaction score
For a Laramie, you might be looking at $1000 to $1500 as far as incentives right out of the gate. I feel that would be your absolute max though. The higher the trim, the lower the incentives. Rebels, Limiteds, Longhorns might have $500, if anything at all.

Currently, 2020 Laramies have approximately (based on region/location) $3000 in incentives. It’ll be interesting to see where 2020 incentives are at the beginning of next week with the beginning of the new month.
Thanks. That’s pretty much exactly what the dealer said to expect. $1000-$1500 in rebates. I was hoping to get $12k below MSRP and it will be close to that if it’s 1500. I guess I cant complain getting that on a 2021

Users who are viewing this thread