5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Preference?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking. I order most of my oil and filters through Amazon, so history is great. What then, do you enter into the Mopar site? The dates and what service you did, and then just use Amazon and credit card to verfity? Or do you enter the oil, filter purchase info on the Mopar site also?
My first entry looked like this:

3,017 miles

DETAILS
Service Date: January 12, 2019
Description: Oil Change / 69 Percent / PUP 5W20 / Mobil 1 M1113A / Fumoto F106SX
Service Provider: Self

MAINTENANCE CATEGORIES
Oil Change

Keep in mind that there are some limitations to entries, such as no dashes. The "69 Percent" above refers to the remaining oil life, according to the truck. "PUP 5W20" refers to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-20, of course, and so on.

I keep a separate spreadsheet via Google Sheets of all maintenance, accessories, and dealership service. And I keep a 3-ring binder of all associated paperwork, too.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I record the dates in the back pages of the owners guide in the glove box and place a copy of the receipts for oil and filter. The receipt indicates and proves what oil it was and filter etc. Can then go to amazon for back up receipts if ever needed. Several ways to do and organize but what is important is that you can prove you done it at recommended or specified times and mileages.

alangsam

Reaction score
So it's really important to keep all your receipts if you're doing your own oil changes? When you bring your truck in for warranty do they actually ask to see oil change records and receipts? Or is that only if there's an issue with something related to it.

We had our 2011 Ford Expedition motor blow up at 70k miles. We had changed the oil per when the truck said it needed a change. We had the 5 year 75k extended warranty. They never asked for receipts because the ford technician said the internals were clean and it was obvious we had been changing it. That said it’s best to do it at the dealership as you will have records. The local gmc dealer will do up to 7 quarts synthetic and and a tire rotation for $70. You can’t do it cheaper your self. Also they wash the outside of the car and fill up all the fluids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackham

Reaction score
And they charge you 100.00$ for an oil change **** them, if you have all your reciep for oil and filter for every 10k oil change they cant do anything
Yes, if you use the factory exact suggestions, keep good records, and do it your self you are fine. I am talking when you step out to a different product. You might be technically correct but it will be a battle. To me with 60 k trucks, 100$ doesn't mean much.

Jackham

Reaction score
We had our 2011 Ford Expedition motor blow up at 70k miles. We had changed the oil per when the truck said it needed a change. We had the 5 year 75k extended warranty. They never asked for receipts because the ford technician said the internals were clean and it was obvious we had been changing it. That said it’s best to do it at the dealership as you will have records. The local gmc dealer will do up to 7 quarts synthetic and and a tire rotation for $70. You can’t do it cheaper your self. Also they wash the outside of the car and fill up all the fluids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well said.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a dumb question, but feel kinda dumb asking this. lol

Look at this coupon for oil changes and tire rotation. $40 for 1 or $99 for 3. Is that 3 oil changes? If tire rotation, then how the hell do you rotate ONE tire for $39.95. LMAO. Can't be on multi point inspect, then it's not MULTI. LMAO-2.0 Anyone??? Parts & Service Coupons _ CDJR Southampton.png

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read that as $39.99 for Blended oil change and a tire rotation and if you buy three its the $99.99. (Which is about the same as Walmart I think) The bait here is two fold....Tire rotation with out a balance is near pointless the same a Blended synthetic oil. That being said blended is better than Dinosaur oil and rotation is better than none depending on one funds to pay for the good stuff. The motivation from them is to get you to buy full Synthetic and pay for balance after you get there.IMO.:)

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read that as $39.99 for Blended oil change and a tire rotation and if you buy three its the $99.99. (Which is about the same as Walmart I think) The bait here is two fold....Tire rotation with out a balance is near pointless the same a Blended synthetic oil. That being said blended is better than Dinosaur oil and rotation is better than none depending on one funds to pay for the good stuff. The motivation from them is to get you to buy full Synthetic and pay for balance after you get there.IMO.:)
"If you buy three it's the $99.99" buy that you mean you buy a package of 3 oil changes / rotations for $99? I agree, who wants blend oil. For what we all put into these trucks, who wouldn't go for the gold standard full synthetic. It's less than going out to dinner.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"If you buy three it's the $99.99" but that you mean buy a package of 3 oil changes / rotations? I agree, who wants blend oil. For what we all put into these trucks, who wouldn't go for the gold standard full synthetic. It's less than going out to dinner.

I agree on the full synthetic too. But the blend synthetic is how they are making it look so appealing in the add. But after you get there they will offer to add the wheel balance and full synthetic costs to the 39.99 taking it to about 75 to 100 bucks each time if one agrees to upgrade . The 99.99 deal is if you buy all three at once up front with same results. IMO.:)

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll just keep doing my own and keep records. PUP Full Synthetic, Fumoto oil drain plug, and not have to sit in a dealer waiting room for an hour. I just wish I had a better way to pre-drain the oil filter before removing it. It's a mess I hear!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree on the full synthetic too. But the blend synthetic is how they are making it look so appealing in the add. But after you get there they will offer to add the wheel balance and full synthetic costs to the 39.99 taking it to about 75 to 100 bucks each time if one agrees to upgrade . The 99.99 deal is if you buy all three at once up front with same results. IMO.:)
Truck buyers in Texas are provided complimentary "Ram Care" - 2 oil changes and tire rotations annually for the first two years (4 total). For $30/visit, it is possible to upgrade from a synthetic blend to synthetic (Pennzoil Platinum). Note that I would only take advantage of 2 of these, as I anticipate putting roughly 7,000 miles/year on my truck.

I opted to change my oil myself using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a Mobil 1 EP filter. This costs me $55 per annual oil change. I can still take advantage of the free tire rotation by coupling it with one of my service visits for recalls, etc.

Cons: Self-performed, $25 additional cost
Pros: Flexible schedule, performed at home (saves 46 miles), premium synthetic oil, premium filter, cleaner truck

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Truck buyers in Texas are provided complimentary "Ram Care" - 2 oil changes and tire rotations annually for the first two years (4 total). For $30/visit, it is possible to upgrade from a synthetic blend to synthetic (Pennzoil Platinum). Note that I would only take advantage of 2 of these, as I anticipate putting roughly 7,000 miles/year on my truck.

I opted to change my oil myself using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and a Mobil 1 EP filter. This costs me $55 per annual oil change. I can still take advantage of the free tire rotation by coupling it with one of my service visits for recalls, etc.

Cons: Self-performed, $25 additional cost
Pros: Flexible schedule, performed at home (saves 46 miles), premium synthetic oil, premium filter, cleaner truck

Sounds like a good deal for you! :)

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll just keep doing my own and keep records. PUP Full Synthetic, Fumoto oil drain plug, and not have to sit in a dealer waiting room for an hour. I just wish I had a better way to pre-drain the oil filter before removing it. It's a mess I hear!

I use two plastic bags slipped up over the oil filter then remove. It keeps all clean of spillage. Plus when doing your own you have the knowledge of what was put in and all done with no issues like over tightened filters and plugs...lol.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use two plastic bags slipped up over the oil filter then remove. It keeps all clean of spillage. Plus when doing your own you have the knowledge of what was put in and all done with no issues like over tightened filters and plugs...lol.
Why 2 plastic bags? Is it twice as good as one? lol.
I heard of using the bag, do you just slip it over the filter and grip the can with the filter and twist? Loosen beforehand with wrench?

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why 2 plastic bags? Is it twice as good as one? lol.
I heard of using the bag, do you just slip it over the filter and grip the can with the filter and twist? Loosen beforehand with wrench?

HaHa...Because Kroger and and Walmart bags are so thin some have rips in them before you start. Some on an oil change thread said they use big sandwich bags ,check out the oil change threads worth reading, plenty of smart ways to change it on the thread with out the mess. Break lose the oil filter, put two bags over the filter and thread off ,then up over the suspension bar that is in the way.);

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealership bulk oil goes in whatever truck and any other DD I own. I've been doing that for as long as I can remember. I've never had an engine issue with anything caused by oiling problems. I haven't done a diy oil change on a DD anything in at least 30 years.

I do change the oil in my toys but that's it.

reconshaun

Reaction score
Where is everyone finding PUP? No one local to me carries it in stock so I have to order it and it’s $10 a quart average.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread