5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Preference?

Jackham

Reaction score
I use Shell Rotella T6 in everything. All of my work trucks, my generators, my BMW GSA... Fantastic oil. Had oil burn issues on my KLR and generators. Switched to T6, no more oil burn. Oil analysis returns are clean and always go longer interval. I however change oil more frequently. Work trucks are always 5k or under, even though oil analysis indicates longer intervals are acceptable.

I find oil to be the everybody has their brand type deal. I tend to think any oil on the market that fits the spec for the manufacturer is ok. I'd focus more on running the best filter you can get. And there's another topic of discussion...
There you have it. Dang it, somebody really study these filters. That is where it is at.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been running Royal Purple and K&N filters in all my vehicles for years... never had an issue and or cause for changing. And an MPG bump is reality, my 5th Gen average went up 1-2mpg after my first change. Never noticed on my other vehicles because I'm not a MPG fanatic.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
bobistheoilguy.com

Literally millions of posts on the subject.

Yep. I've spent many hours reading through that. One thing it does a good job of also is noting formula changes within brands based on year. So rather than just relying on "I've always used x" you can have some info on some changes and make a call. I'm using Pennzoil Platinum for the next two changes as they are free. I will then switch to either PUP, Redline, or Royal Purple. I'll stick with the Mobil1 EP filter.

But seriously that website has some very knowledgeable people sharing more info than you will be able to read in several evening.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve used Mobil 1 EP extensively in the past. The only drawback to M1 (in my mind) is that it does not have a Chrysler certification. To avoid any potential issues with my lifetime warranty down the road, I went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum on my new Ram.

Do you know what the difference in the Platinum and the Ultra is? Just wondering as you see both are on shelf and both are 5/40 and Synthetic. Is one mostley for Europe or Canada maybe?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you know what the difference in the Platinum and the Ultra is? Just wondering as you see both are on shelf and both are 5/40 and Synthetic. Is one mostley for Europe or Canada maybe?
No, they are different oils, and they come in several weights (e.g. 5W-20 for our HEMIs). Pennzoil doesn’t go into detail in their comparison. However, discussions on bobistheoilguy.com suggest PUP contains additional cleaning agents. Much more there to try and digest if you’re into that sort of thing.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, they are different oils, and they come in several weights (e.g. 5W-20 for our HEMIs). Pennzoil doesn’t go into detail in their comparison. However, discussions on bobistheoilguy.com suggest PUP contains additional cleaning agents. Much more there to try and digest if you’re into that sort of thing.

I just figured they were the same maybe two different Mks. Thanks for the reply.

Daniel

Reaction score
I always used Castrol Syntec 5W20 with Fram filter on car ant Ram 2010, 2013 , 2019 and now i am trying Mobil 1 filters

Nick54

Reaction score
What do you guys think about running full synthetic oil that recommends 15000 or 1 year changes but changing the filter every 5k? I have done this with M1 extended mileage oil in my Tacoma, this was easy since the oil filter is located on top of the engine. Can this be done with our Rams having the filter positioned where it is?

Last edited:

Daniel

Reaction score
What do you guys think about running full synthetic oil that recommends 15000 or 1 year changes but changing the filter every 5k? I have done this with M1 extended mileage oil in my Tacoma, this was easy since the oil filter is located on top of the engine. Can this be done with our Rams having the filter positioned where it is?
Thats what i am doing with my Ram 2019 and older ones i am using castrol syntec full synthetic oil 5w20 witn mobil 1 oil filter

Nick54

Reaction score
Thats what i am doing with my Ram 2019 and older ones i am using castrol syntec full synthetic oil 5w20 witn mobil 1 oil filter
Can you pull the filter at 5k without draining the oil? So if I pull the filter will a lot of the oil drain from the crankcase?

Daniel

Reaction score
Can you pull the filter at 5k without draining the oil? So if I pull the filter will a lot of the oil drain from the crankcase?
I always wait for 10 k oil change or when it apears on my dash board and change filter and oil at the same time , before 10k is a waste of money

Jackham

Reaction score
I used to use Mobil 1, early adopter, and change the filter every 5K, the oil every 20,000. Ran the Landcruiser 258,000 miles without issue that way. Perfectly good science.

However today with the longer warranties and how the different vehicles getting quite sophisticated and how they want you to stay in their family I no longer do that. With my F150 I got each thing done at the Ford dealership, and when things go wrong this works major league in your favor. I am afraid the day of the entrepreneur is over with these rigs. Experiment at your risk. ie, try using a off brand diesel fuel filter and try to collect when your fuel injector goes south.....very expensive.

Nick54

Reaction score
I used to use Mobil 1, early adopter, and change the filter every 5K, the oil every 20,000. Ran the Landcruiser 258,000 miles without issue that way. Perfectly good science.

However today with the longer warranties and how the different vehicles getting quite sophisticated and how they want you to stay in their family I no longer do that. With my F150 I got each thing done at the Ford dealership, and when things go wrong this works major league in your favor. I am afraid the day of the entrepreneur is over with these rigs. Experiment at your risk. ie, try using a off brand diesel fuel filter and try to collect when your fuel injector goes south.....very expensive.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts on this. I use Mobil 1 in my Tacoma, however I've read that it doesn't carry the Chrysler MS-6395 Cert. In reality wondering just how far the dealer would go to determine if the oil met this requirement?

Last edited:

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So it's really important to keep all your receipts if you're doing your own oil changes? When you bring your truck in for warranty do they actually ask to see oil change records and receipts? Or is that only if there's an issue with something related to it.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So it's really important to keep all your receipts if you're doing your own oil changes? When you bring your truck in for warranty do they actually ask to see oil change records and receipts? Or is that only if there's an issue with something related to it.
I just enter all relevant info in the Mopar owner site (where dealership records also appear). My credit card and Amazon histories will record those purchases.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just enter all relevant info in the Mopar owner site (where dealership records also appear). My credit card and Amazon histories will record those purchases.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I order most of my oil and filters through Amazon, so history is great. What then, do you enter into the Mopar site? The dates and what service you did, and then just use Amazon and credit card to verfity? Or do you enter the oil, filter purchase info on the Mopar site also?

Users who are viewing this thread