5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Preference?

Bionicbo

Reaction score
Talked with the dealer service advisor for about 30 minutes on the phone this morning about oil. Nice guy. He used to run an oil change place prior to going to the Ram service department. His personal opinion was that he changes his oil 7-8K miles regardless, even though he knows the oil can last longer. He thinks Amsoil and Royal Purple are fine, but overhyped and overpriced. Penzoil and Mobil1 are his favorites. They have no problem putting my own oil into for me if I go that route. I forgot to ask the price for that, as for the first 3 changes at least I likely won't be doing that.

I have 3 free oil changes through the dealer that came with it when I bought it. These are good for the full synthetic change. He said it would be Pennzoil platinum, but not PUP. It would be a Mopar filter. He said he didn't see a need to upgrade that to the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Would anyone here pay an upcharge to the PUP over regular Platinum? Also, is the Mopar filter fine, or should I bring in my own filter?

And yes, I'm aware I'm way overthinking this. He advised that as well. Just make sure it is a quality synthetic and that I'm changing it regularly and Ill be fine. :)

The price difference in canada is pretty close, when on sale (which is quite frequently) it's only $3 difference, IMO it's worth it.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
Just did my oil and filled with the new shell gas truck oil. Need to get a fumoto drain plug cause I want to test the oil out with Blackstone labs

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Going in this morning as a matter of fact for service #2. Truck got its oil changed at 2,000 and now it has 5600. Both were/will be regular ol’ cheap dino oil. 3 changes for $99 was the deal, and I’ve got a coupon I will pre-purchase for 4 changes for $70, plus the extra 2 qts for the hemi. Theres a 24 month time limit on the 4/$70 so, within 2 years the truck will get 7 oil changes... no matter what the miles are.

Now I could have just gotten two full synthetic changes at $55 each over that same timeframe and the money spent would be the same but think of the free coffee and popcorn Id have missed...

The_Dude

Reaction score
Changed oil at 660 miles with 5w-20 Shell Rotella Gas Truck with puralator one filter. Found that the filter had a lot of fine aluminum particles in it. Most likely has been in bypass for some time. Good idea to change early.

Side Note: shell gas truck oil is $21 at Walmart with $10 rebate until 12/31/19. Max rebate of $40, not bad 20 quarts for $48.

cheyfinn

Reaction score
AMSOIL 5-20 I have used AMSOIL for 33 yr's in every thing Stock cars, trucks, cars, motorcycles, lawn mower , snowblower never had a problem

lilteco71

Reaction score
AMSOIL 5-20 I have used AMSOIL for 33 yr's in every thing Stock cars, trucks, cars, motorcycles, lawn mower , snowblower never had a problem
IF i use amsoil 10-30 maybe i have a problem or is good to use it ? ( tropical climate)

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
IF i use amsoil 10-30 maybe i have a problem or is good to use it ? ( tropical climate)
You can use 10W-30 safely in your climate, startup damage is not a concern. 10W-30 has to pass a cold cranking simulator (CCS) test at -25C (-13F), which is a temperature you're obviously never going to see in Panama. A synthetic 10W-30 in your climate is "thinner" and will pump quicker and reach operating temperature quicker than a 5W-20 in cold climates like the northern tier of the US and places like Canada and Alaska during the winter.

The real concern is how Ram will handle a warranty related engine issue if you're using an oil that isn't the "recommended" 5W-20 grade. Also, is Amsoil actually certified by FCA to meet MS-6395 or does it say something like it's suitable for use in applications requiring MS-6395.

Sigep924

Reaction score
I just changed mine at 2000 miles with Rotella gas truck 5w-20 and a mobil1 M1-113A oil filter.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did an oil change using Redline 5w-30 and Royal Purple oil filter, trying to get rid of the ticking I'm hearing. Have about 300 km on it now since the change, it might be a little quieter now at cold start, not hearing much difference when it's hot and accelerating.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Slightly different question than the "When" are you doing your first oil change thread. Regardless of when, what type of oil are you putting into it? I know the manual says: We recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Mopar, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade.

I've never had a truck before so I was curious as to people's preferences. I'm well aware that this is a highly opinionated area, but I'm just curious as to some good options. I've never liked Pennzoil in any of my vehicles, but maybe the PUP is different for the RAM? Also, I freely admit that my opinion on Pennz is likely dated and based on info no longer applicable to this generation of oils. Bobistheoilguy seems to like Pennzoil and then Mobile1. It seems like people like the Pennz PUP a great deal on the Ram, but I also read it "shears" down quicker.. Other popular choices seem to be Redline, Amsoil, Mobil1, and Royal Purple.

There is another ram forum with over 2,600 pages on just synthetic oil. I read a few hundred and I'm pretty exhausted, lol. I'm leaning towards either Redline or Royal Purple.
Royal purple and redline are for when you beat on your engine (lots of towing, hauling or racing, or all 3 combined). I'm currently using Pennzoil Platinum but going back to Mobile 1 next oil change with a tough guard FRAM filter. Don't bother with those fancy oils or oil filters. Just get a good synthetic oil and a decent filter ... You'll be all set. Oh and get the correct oil viscosity that is recommended in the manual...not what's recommended by some YouTube or thread nerd.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pennzoil ultra platinum and mobile 1 filter is what I do. 91 octane from shell as well. Am I wasting my money on it, maybe. But the shell 91 octane has more detergents and I want to believe them when they say it cleans better. And I have a heavy foot FYI. Haha.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pennzoil ultra platinum and mobile 1 filter is what I do. 91 octane from shell as well. Am I wasting my money on it, maybe. But the shell 91 octane has more detergents and I want to believe them when they say it cleans better. And I have a heavy foot FYI. Haha.
I love that gas!!!! Lol. Too expensive to keep using though at least for me.

bryan28

Reaction score
Just had my first oil/filter change at the dealership today at about 5200 miles. I have 3 more freebies. I honestly think it sounds quieter now on startup and when idling. Will probably go to M1 or PP and a good filter when my freebies are used.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Royal purple and redline are for when you beat on your engine (lots of towing, hauling or racing, or all 3 combined). I'm currently using Pennzoil Platinum but going back to Mobile 1 next oil change with a tough guard FRAM filter. Don't bother with those fancy oils or oil filters. Just get a good synthetic oil and a decent filter ... You'll be all set. Oh and get the correct oil viscosity that is recommended in the manual...not what's recommended by some YouTube or thread nerd.
Yes, I am letting the dealer put in Penzoil Platinum as part of my three free changes with a Mobil 1 filter. I'll switch to PUP and the Mobil 1 filter after the last free one.

ram0686

Reaction score
I've moved over to the Shell Rotella 5W-20. More Moly is a good thing!! Rotella, PUP, and PP are good oils. Would use any of those in a heartbeat

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I am letting the dealer put in Penzoil Platinum as part of my three free changes with a Mobil 1 filter. I'll switch to PUP and the Mobil 1 filter after the last free one.
I still dont understand the difference between the Pennzoil Platinum and the ultra platinum...

Users who are viewing this thread