5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Preference?

Runagun

Reaction score
I have no idea why you'd use 40 when it calls for 20. Just Run the oil longer it'll turn into a 40. I don't build engines. But I slept @ a Holiday inn Express last night.

I use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 oil and Mobil-1 filters. I care slightly less about claims of fuel mileage increase with the recommended water-thin oil and more about proper lubrication of that excellent 5.7L engine.

Steve

Ch28

Reaction score
Why does the dealer put in 5-20 blend oil?
I dont think its the same for every dealer. The dealer closest to me said they put conventional in unless you upgrade to blend, no full synthetic option. The next closest dealer said they put the blend in and the upgrade is full synthetic, and they dont put conventional in at all. So i think some of it is up to the dealers.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m thinking of going with Mobil 1 synthetic and Mobil 1 filter. I’ll guess I have to ask the dealer how much they will charge me if I provide that oil and filter.
I used Mobil 1 in my 2009 Challenger R/T. When i traded her in she had 104k miles and never a single engine issue of any kind. I will continue to use Mobil 1 in the RAM. I also used it in my old 1996 Ram 1500 5.9 that I gave to my son in law after 20 years of use with 210k miles. It never had an engine issue even to this day.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I used Mobil 1 in my 2009 Challenger R/T. When i traded her in she had 104k miles and never a single engine issue of any kind. I will continue to use Mobil 1 in the RAM. I also used it in my old 1996 Ram 1500 5.9 that I gave to my son in law after 20 years of use with 210k miles. It never had an engine issue even to this day.
I’ve used Mobil 1 EP extensively in the past. The only drawback to M1 (in my mind) is that it does not have a Chrysler certification. To avoid any potential issues with my lifetime warranty down the road, I went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum on my new Ram.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve used Mobil 1 EP extensively in the past. The only drawback to M1 (in my mind) is that it does not have a Chrysler certification. To avoid any potential issues with my lifetime warranty down the road, I went with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum on my new Ram.
That’s what I put in mine as well.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
Just did my first oil change at about 1k miles. The engineers that had the brilliant idea of putting that oil filter where it is should be fired. Tried the bag trick, didnt work and got oil all over. I guess I'll try to use a bigger bag maybe. Either way, it went smooth enough. Used Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter. First time using this oil and filter but seems to be a good choice by way of a lot of the comments on here.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
M1 oil is forsure at or above certification. Political wars play rolls everywhere. So atleast till warranty is up I’d roll anything that is Chrysler certified and SN on it. Hell, 5-20 super tech Wallymart synthetic is certified. Not bashing, In fact for price pretty amazing stuff. I’m just making point they paid to get tested and passed requirements.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I did a little research and what I found was helpful. Mobil DOES have several oils that meet the MS-6395 standard. See the link below to a PDF with extensive info on not only Mobil but other products as well.

https://noln.net/wp-content/uploads/2016-Specialty-Motor-Oil-Guide.pdf

For quick reference- All of the Mobil Super product line and a link to Mobil website where they state this as well.

https://www.mobil.com/english-us/passenger-vehicle-lube/pds/glxxmobil-super-synthetic
I’ve listed all of this in old threads, e.g. the DIY oil change shopping list thread. The Super series are not Mobil’s synthetic fluids. Mobil simply hasn’t paid to have their synthetic fluids certified (per @Nails’ comment above).

slimchance

Reaction score
Looking at prices vs what the dealer charges for PUP, there isn't a huge difference... then consider the time to actually change the oil and then going to dump it... I'll let the dealer handle it (until such time as it is no longer cost effective).

got first oil change yesterday ... had to pay for it, NO free oil changes here, asked to use the Pennzoil Full Syn ... nothing else done ... charged me $100 (blend would have been $70) ... that cost gave me a baseline... went to walmart and the same oil was $22.57 / 5 qts so about $33 (for 7 qts) plus filter (Fram $8) ... i think for $60 saving i can still do an oil change .... AND 2 different Ram dealers told me i had to change the oil every 5,000 miles or 6 months regardless of full syn or blend .. i told them the 692 page owners manual that i read said every 10,000 miles or 12 months ... they seemed surprised i read the manual

ClancyO

Reaction score
When I bought the last truck (new), a 2004 Titan, the dealer added an oil change card. I think I changed the oil once, but I let them change it thereafter. In hindsight that was a mistake. If you have to tools, knowledge & time, do it yourself simply because it gets you under the hood, and under the truck and looking at it AS YOUR TRUCK. The people that change oil aren't their best and brightest, and they aren't looking at you 35-60k truck as if THEY spent $35-60k on it. If you are serious about protecting your investment, YOU need to inspect it from time to time and an oil change is a perfect opportunity.

tysmith

Reaction score
I use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 oil and Mobil-1 filters. I care slightly less about claims of fuel mileage increase with the recommended water-thin oil and more about proper lubrication of that excellent 5.7L engine.

Steve

I use Shell Rotella T6 in everything. All of my work trucks, my generators, my BMW GSA... Fantastic oil. Had oil burn issues on my KLR and generators. Switched to T6, no more oil burn. Oil analysis returns are clean and always go longer interval. I however change oil more frequently. Work trucks are always 5k or under, even though oil analysis indicates longer intervals are acceptable.

I find oil to be the everybody has their brand type deal. I tend to think any oil on the market that fits the spec for the manufacturer is ok. I'd focus more on running the best filter you can get. And there's another topic of discussion...

Jackham

Reaction score
These oil threads are all the same. Lots of brief comments none of which really cover it. Here is what I noted on my F 150 2011. I decided to try Royal Purple.. I bought the jugs and took them to my Ford center and had them use that. One day they forgot and simply put in their Ford synthetic. I realized this as I motored down the interstate and looked into my rear view mirror and saw my Royal Purple untouched. No problem, I would just run this through. To my amazement I dropped from an average of 18 mpg to 16,5 for the entire cycle. I cleared it several times and started over. Always the same. So there is something going on as the next change we went back to the Royal Purple and wallaa...back to 18 mpg. As a science based individual it just burns me that no one just gets a vehicle and tries all kinds of oils keeping all the same to see if there is a difference. They always have other variables involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/