5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Preference?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Slightly different question than the "When" are you doing your first oil change thread. Regardless of when, what type of oil are you putting into it? I know the manual says: We recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Mopar, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade.

I've never had a truck before so I was curious as to people's preferences. I'm well aware that this is a highly opinionated area, but I'm just curious as to some good options. I've never liked Pennzoil in any of my vehicles, but maybe the PUP is different for the RAM? Also, I freely admit that my opinion on Pennz is likely dated and based on info no longer applicable to this generation of oils. Bobistheoilguy seems to like Pennzoil and then Mobile1. It seems like people like the Pennz PUP a great deal on the Ram, but I also read it "shears" down quicker.. Other popular choices seem to be Redline, Amsoil, Mobil1, and Royal Purple.

There is another ram forum with over 2,600 pages on just synthetic oil. I read a few hundred and I'm pretty exhausted, lol. I'm leaning towards either Redline or Royal Purple.

CouchAssault

Reaction score
I alternate between M1 EP and PUP based on whichever is cheaper at the time. Currently PUP is 25$ 5/qt at walmart.com plus a 10$ rebate. So that's what mine will get for its 1st change. Buying 10 qt's would make M1 twice as expensive. It's not that much better in my mind.

I prefer M1 EP. I've never seen anything negative about PUP. just more documented positive info on the base stock of M1 EP.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ran AMSoil (all lubes and filters) on both my old vehicles...

Looking at prices vs what the dealer charges for PUP, there isn't a huge difference... then consider the time to actually change the oil and then going to dump it... I'll let the dealer handle it (until such time as it is no longer cost effective).

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
Grew up using Quaker State in everything we had. Dad gad a 1980 Datsun 210 that we gad to set the valves on fairly regularly. With over 100k miles on it, you could almost eat out of the valve cover, it was so clean. So I kept using it until 2010.

When I got my 2010 Silverado I switched to Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles based on performance from a very good friend if mine who is a legitimate "car guy". Glad I made the switch. I'm sure most, if not all, of the newest generation of oils are perfectly fine, but even dirty Mobil 1 is so slick that you can hardly hold a wet oil filter. I just see no reason to "experiment" with other oils.

Dkwatts1522

Reaction score
I ran Napa Full Synthetic in my seirra until I traded it @ 242k miles. I changed out my 1st oil change with Amsoil Signature 5w-20 on the ram since my father had a case in his garage. Fyi... he has more oil in stock than a your local autoparts store. He said he just placed another order with Amsoil amd got me a few cases. So Amsoil it is!

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Amsoil is really good stuff it is just super expensive compared to Penzoil Ultra Platinum and if extended oil drain intervals aren't really what you are after then I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with a Royal Purple Filter. FYI, Amsoil and RP filters are identical internally.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Grew up using Quaker State in everything we had. Dad gad a 1980 Datsun 210 that we gad to set the valves on fairly regularly. With over 100k miles on it, you could almost eat out of the valve cover, it was so clean. So I kept using it until 2010.

When I got my 2010 Silverado I switched to Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles based on performance from a very good friend if mine who is a legitimate "car guy". Glad I made the switch. I'm sure most, if not all, of the newest generation of oils are perfectly fine, but even dirty Mobil 1 is so slick that you can hardly hold a wet oil filter. I just see no reason to "experiment" with other oils.

Brings back memories of the ol Datsun we had growing up. Odometer stopped working at around 200k miles. Speedometer broke. Driver door handle broke. Mirror. Clutch was finicky as all hell. But that engine had to run for over 300k before we finally upgraded it..to a Toyota that had 175k on it when we bought it!

Mobil1 seems like a nice choice. There is some scuttlebutt that it isn't a true synthetic, but that might be just another internet rumor

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
just ordered some royal purple oil and filter for my first change. amazon had 5 quarts for $31

RenoRam

Reaction score
just ordered some royal purple oil and filter for my first change. amazon had 5 quarts for $31
Are you (and others) changing just the 5 qts or the full 7 qts give or take a little?

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mobil1 seems like a nice choice. There is some scuttlebutt that it isn't a true synthetic, but that might be just another internet rumor

Depends upon the base stock used... finding which base stock used is a bit of a fishing expedition.

Group III, IV, an V are considered synthetic oils (though Group III is not considered synthetic in Germany or Japan as the base stock is still a mineral oil).

For a 5k drain interval, I think the Group III and higher oils are just fine, if you are going to for for once a year then I would certainly look at the Group VI and V oils.

OuachitaAdventure

Reaction score
Have you used it before? On a previous RAM? It interests me, but I'm prone to good advertising.
No experience with it to this point. Know lots of people who swear by it. I have had diesels for the last 10 years so haven’t changed oil in a gas burner in a while. Heard nothing but good things.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Talked with the dealer service advisor for about 30 minutes on the phone this morning about oil. Nice guy. He used to run an oil change place prior to going to the Ram service department. His personal opinion was that he changes his oil 7-8K miles regardless, even though he knows the oil can last longer. He thinks Amsoil and Royal Purple are fine, but overhyped and overpriced. Penzoil and Mobil1 are his favorites. They have no problem putting my own oil into for me if I go that route. I forgot to ask the price for that, as for the first 3 changes at least I likely won't be doing that.

I have 3 free oil changes through the dealer that came with it when I bought it. These are good for the full synthetic change. He said it would be Pennzoil platinum, but not PUP. It would be a Mopar filter. He said he didn't see a need to upgrade that to the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Would anyone here pay an upcharge to the PUP over regular Platinum? Also, is the Mopar filter fine, or should I bring in my own filter?

And yes, I'm aware I'm way overthinking this. He advised that as well. Just make sure it is a quality synthetic and that I'm changing it regularly and Ill be fine. :)

Daniel

Reaction score
Slightly different question than the "When" are you doing your first oil change thread. Regardless of when, what type of oil are you putting into it? I know the manual says: We recommend you use API Certified SAE 5W-20 Engine Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Mopar, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade.

I've never had a truck before so I was curious as to people's preferences. I'm well aware that this is a highly opinionated area, but I'm just curious as to some good options. I've never liked Pennzoil in any of my vehicles, but maybe the PUP is different for the RAM? Also, I freely admit that my opinion on Pennz is likely dated and based on info no longer applicable to this generation of oils. Bobistheoilguy seems to like Pennzoil and then Mobile1. It seems like people like the Pennz PUP a great deal on the Ram, but I also read it "shears" down quicker.. Other popular choices seem to be Redline, Amsoil, Mobil1, and Royal Purple.

There is another ram forum with over 2,600 pages on just synthetic oil. I read a few hundred and I'm pretty exhausted, lol. I'm leaning towards either Redline or Royal Purple.
I use Castrol syntec 5w20 with mobil 1 oil filters

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Talked with the dealer service advisor for about 30 minutes on the phone this morning about oil. Nice guy. He used to run an oil change place prior to going to the Ram service department. His personal opinion was that he changes his oil 7-8K miles regardless, even though he knows the oil can last longer. He thinks Amsoil and Royal Purple are fine, but overhyped and overpriced. Penzoil and Mobil1 are his favorites. They have no problem putting my own oil into for me if I go that route. I forgot to ask the price for that, as for the first 3 changes at least I likely won't be doing that.

I have 3 free oil changes through the dealer that came with it when I bought it. These are good for the full synthetic change. He said it would be Pennzoil platinum, but not PUP. It would be a Mopar filter. He said he didn't see a need to upgrade that to the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Would anyone here pay an upcharge to the PUP over regular Platinum? Also, is the Mopar filter fine, or should I bring in my own filter?

And yes, I'm aware I'm way overthinking this. He advised that as well. Just make sure it is a quality synthetic and that I'm changing it regularly and Ill be fine. :)
I’m thinking of going with Mobil 1 synthetic and Mobil 1 filter. I’ll guess I have to ask the dealer how much they will charge me if I provide that oil and filter.

jamie.howlett

Reaction score
I ran Royal Purple / K&N Filter oil filter in a 2012 Chrysler 300 for about 50,000 miles before I traded it in for the Ram. I did change the oil at 3k religiously. I though the engine ran great with it. For the Ram I am not 100% sure which oil I am going to use. My FIL has always sworn by Pennzoil.

Users who are viewing this thread