5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Preference?

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I did my first oil change myself on my EcoD. Thought Shell Rotella T6 was the way to go at the time. Not long after I did it I come on this forum and see that it is no longer approved by Fiat Chrysler. I’ve been doing so much reading on this I’m just confused now. From what I gather there is nothing wrong with the Rotella and there is no way it should cause any harm to our engines right?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I did my first oil change myself on my EcoD. Thought Shell Rotella T6 was the way to go at the time. Not long after I did it I come on this forum and see that it is no longer approved by Fiat Chrysler. I’ve been doing so much reading on this I’m just confused now. From what I gather there is nothing wrong with the Rotella and there is no way it should cause any harm to our engines right?

No approval on the bottle doesn't mean it won't meet requirements, it just wasn't certified against it. I have been using Shell Rotella T6 on my motorcycles long before it was finally JASO certified to be used on motorcycles.

However, it does leave a loophole they can use against you should you have engine issues. I highly recommend you buy some FCA certified oil as proof on a receipt should they want proof you did an oil change on time, assuming you did this recently enough? This way they cannot get you on a technicality. Not like they will analyze the oil you have in there, but they could dispute it on a receipt you didn't use approved oils.

If it worries you enough, change it again with that oil, its only a few bucks in the scheme of things.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No approval on the bottle doesn't mean it won't meet requirements, it just was certified against it. I have been using Shell Rotella T6 on my motorcycles long before it was finally JASO certified.
I guess what I should say, is if you have an engine issue and they find out you’ve been using Rotella T6 are you screwed? I’ve seen people on here say that their dealers are using it

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What many of us have learned here is that in most cases the reason a particular oil isn't approved is that they did not go through the official certification process with FCA. As long as the oil you are using meets or exceeds the manufacturers recommended parameters you will be ok to use what you want. The FCA stamp on an oil is apparently a costly process for the oil makers and not all of them want to go through it. The cost outweighs the benefits.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I guess what I should say, is if you have an engine issue and they find out you’ve been using Rotella T6 are you screwed? I’ve seen people on here say that their dealers are using it

Sorry, I edited my comment, I cover that there.....

"However, it does leave a loophole they can use against you should you have engine issues. I highly recommend you buy some FCA certified oil as proof on a receipt should they want proof you did an oil change on time, assuming you did this recently enough? This way they cannot get you on a technicality. Not like they will analyze the oil you have in there, but they could dispute it on a receipt you didn't use approved oils.

If it worries you enough, change it again with that oil, its only a few bucks in the scheme of things."

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, I edited my comment, I cover that there.....

"However, it does leave a loophole they can use against you should you have engine issues. I highly recommend you buy some FCA certified oil as proof on a receipt should they want proof you did an oil change on time, assuming you did this recently enough? This way they cannot get you on a technicality. Not like they will analyze the oil you have in there, but they could dispute it on a receipt you didn't use approved oils.

If it worries you enough, change it again with that oil, its only a few bucks in the scheme of things."
Yeah I saw that afterwards thanks. It’s frustrating, cause I’ve also found that T6 used to be approved by Chrysler. What a bunch of nonsense

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it meets requirements you'll have nothing to worry about...hell..even our Hemi's don't even recommend full synthetic per the manual but I use it anyway of course.

arptsprt

Reaction score
If it meets requirements you'll have nothing to worry about...hell..even our Hemi's don't even recommend full synthetic per the manual but I use it anyway of course.

At 5000 miles, I’m going to switch over to synthetic. What are you using? My dealership confirmed they’re using Pennzoil synthetic 5w-20 and they have a three synthetic oil changes, filter and tire rotation special for $159 for the 5.7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At 5000 miles, I’m going to switch over to synthetic. What are you using? My dealership confirmed they’re using Pennzoil synthetic 5w-20 and they have a three synthetic oil changes, filter and tire rotation special for $159 for the 5.7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check the Mopar website...they've been having way better deals than that recently.
But I used Pennzoil Platinum last change, now I'm using Mobil 1 to kind of compare the two. When I drained the Pennzoil; I was missing 1 quart. I want to see if the same thing happens with Mobil 1.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

Bwsteg

Reaction score
I have a 2020 with 5k miles. Dealer says oil changes should be done every 10k miles. I prefer to just have the oil changes done on my own. Is the pennzoil ultra platinum the preferred choice (if price isn’t an issue)? Also what filter should I purchase, mopar or is the m1/k&n filter ok?

last thing, how many quarts does the ram take? Thanks in advance

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 2020 with 5k miles. Dealer says oil changes should be done every 10k miles. I prefer to just have the oil changes done on my own. Is the pennzoil ultra platinum the preferred choice (if price isn’t an issue)? Also what filter should I purchase, mopar or is the m1/k&n filter ok?

last thing, how many quarts does the ram take? Thanks in advance
MOPAR is just fine. Mobil 1 filters an be found at Walmart for $10 and I use WIX-XP I buy off Rockauto for $7/each in a pack of 4. The 5.7L takes 7 quarts.

Bwsteg

Reaction score
MOPAR is just fine. Mobil 1 filters an be found at Walmart for $10 and I use WIX-XP I buy off Rockauto for $7/each in a pack of 4. The 5.7L takes 7 quarts.
Thank you for reply. What would you recommend as far as oil change interval goes? Dealer says 10k. Is doing it every 5k overkill? Or perhaps 7500

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thank you for reply. What would you recommend as far as oil change interval goes? Dealer says 10k. Is doing it every 5k overkill? Or perhaps 7500

You can follow the monitor, it isn't simply count down, it varies depending on how you drive. If you do mostly highway with low idling, it will go to 10,000 miles. If you drive in severe conditions, lots of idling, it will go as low as 3,500 miles..

As Securityguy mentions, I prefer to do it at 5,000 miles.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So far mine has gotten to about 7500 using the "monitor".
My next change I will be using AMSOIL XL and will be going to 10k, take a sample and see how it looks. If all is good then I will go all the way to 12k which the oil is rated for.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread