5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Preference?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So far mine has gotten to about 7500 using the "monitor".
My next change I will be using AMSOIL XL and will be going to 10k, take a sample and see how it looks. If all is good then I will go all the way to 12k which the oil is rated for.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
That's a terrible gamble, anything over 7500 miles is just asking for trouble. Even if the oil analysis comes back as the oil being ok...there's still going to be all of those metal fragments "sand blasting" the inside of the engine.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I beg to differ, I incrementally worked my BMW out to nearly 12k miles on AMSOIL Euro and could have gone farther. There are plenty of people who run Signature Series and go 25k even without thinking about it.
I'm not running a cheap filter either, I will be using an AMSOIL filter which is rated at 99% efficiency down at 20 microns. That should catch all the "sand blasting" media.

The truth is engines, oil and filters have come a long way from where they once were.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2020 with 5k miles. Dealer says oil changes should be done every 10k miles. I prefer to just have the oil changes done on my own. Is the pennzoil ultra platinum the preferred choice (if price isn’t an issue)? Also what filter should I purchase, mopar or is the m1/k&n filter ok?

last thing, how many quarts does the ram take? Thanks in advance
I do PUP and a M1 EP filter annually.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's a terrible gamble, anything over 7500 miles is just asking for trouble. Even if the oil analysis comes back as the oil being ok...there's still going to be all of those metal fragments "sand blasting" the inside of the engine.
Yeah, I’m with @jdefoe0424 on this one. If you’re using oil and filters that are both designed for 15K+ intervals, then it would stand to reason that you’d be just fine at 1/2 that distance...

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m with @jdefoe0424 on this one. If you’re using oil and filters that are both designed for 15K+ intervals, then it would stand to reason that you’d be just fine at 1/2 that distance...
Wait...what? 1/2 that distance is exactly what I'm talking about lol. I'm saying anything over 7500 miles is a gamble.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I beg to differ, I incrementally worked my BMW out to nearly 12k miles on AMSOIL Euro and could have gone farther. There are plenty of people who run Signature Series and go 25k even without thinking about it.
I'm not running a cheap filter either, I will be using an AMSOIL filter which is rated at 99% efficiency down at 20 microns. That should catch all the "sand blasting" media.

The truth is engines, oil and filters have come a long way from where they once were.

That's crazy. Although I agree that a quality filter is very important and helps a lot...you know they do get filled up, right? I mean....even the best oil filter in the world will be at capacity by the time you hit 7500 miles; usually before that mileage. After that point...it's no longer filtering out those fine metal fragments and then you're back to the same issue.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's crazy. Although I agree that a quality filter is very important and helps a lot...you know they do get filled up, right? I mean....even the best oil filter in the world will be at capacity by the time you hit 7500 miles; usually before that mileage. After that point...it's no longer filtering out those fine metal fragments and then you're back to the same issue.
The filter that I'm using is designed to go 15k miles, and there's another that's designed to go 25k. I had thought about using a wix and changing it halfway through but decided I didn't want to waste time and money.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
... If all is good then I will go all the way to 12k which the oil is rated for.

The filter that I'm using is designed to go 15k miles, and there's another that's designed to go 25k. I had thought about using a wix and changing it halfway through but decided I didn't want to waste time and money.

That's all good, but don't go beyond 10,000 miles or 12 months in order to stay within your 5yr / 60k powertrain warranty as per the manual. You know FCA would love a loophole should you have an engine issue under warranty.

Oil Change Warning.jpg

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

There was a time that I thought about using one of those fancy filters...that way I'd only have to change It out once a year. But a $10 filter is cheaper than a new engine and it's just a risk not worth taking (not to mention warranty reasons). Besides...think of it this way...
When it says good for 15k miles....what kind of driving conditions/temperatures are they referring to? 15k miles of easy country driving is not the same as 15k miles of idling, stop/go, towing/hauling, etc....see what I mean? Does that filter say what kind of driving conditions those 15k miles are good for? If not...it's a false claim all day long.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Also...Another question (rhetorical). What's the capacity of these "magic" oil filters you're using? Keep in mind...if it doesn't tell you, then there's no basis for comparison. Something to think about.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also...Another question (rhetorical). What's the capacity of these "magic" oil filters you're using? Keep in mind...if it doesn't tell you, then there's no basis for comparison. Something to think about.
I'd like you to find where any manufacturer tells you how much an oil filter will hold. There's way too many variables to even know where to start...it all has to do with the media material, design and volume/pleats, size of particles etc etc

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I highly recommend this well-known 20K mile filter, as would most members here that use it. Of course, as @devildodge pointed out, I change it once per year (7-8K miles) to respect my Lifetime MaxCare warranty anyway.

Side note: I used to run Castrol TranSynd in my Allison transmission (and in another GM transmission). That fluid is rated for 75,000 miles in severe-duty (buses, garbage trucks) and 150,000 miles for general-duty applications. Some products are engineered to last!

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I highly recommend this well-known 20K mile filter, as would most members here that use it. Of course, as @devildodge pointed out, I change it once per year (7-8K miles) to respect my Lifetime MaxCare warranty anyway.

Side note: I used to run Castrol TranSynd in my Allison transmission (and in another GM transmission). That fluid is rated for 75,000 miles in severe-duty (buses, garbage trucks) and 150,000 miles for general-duty applications. Some products are engineered to last!
Although that's very true...I don't really see the relevance comparing transmission fluid to engine oil...

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'd like you to find where any manufacturer tells you how much an oil filter will hold. There's way too many variables to even know where to start...it all has to do with the media material, design and volume/pleats, size of particles etc etc

Fram lists it, mobil 1 lists theirs, etc...
But again...it was a rhetorical question...because even if the others didn't list it...again...no basis for comparison.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I like how you completely side stepped my earlier post though lol. Must've made too much sense

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Although that's very true...I don't really see the relevance comparing transmission fluid to engine oil...
Hence “side note”. Also, we’re talking about the longevity of automotive machine lubricants...it’s not that much of a stretch!

Bwsteg

Reaction score
Does anyone know the part # for the mopar filter? 2020 Laramie 5.7 with e torque (I assume it’s the same as non e torque). TIA

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There was a time that I thought about using one of those fancy filters...that way I'd only have to change It out once a year. But a $10 filter is cheaper than a new engine and it's just a risk not worth taking (not to mention warranty reasons). Besides...think of it this way...
When it says good for 15k miles....what kind of driving conditions/temperatures are they referring to? 15k miles of easy country driving is not the same as 15k miles of idling, stop/go, towing/hauling, etc....see what I mean? Does that filter say what kind of driving conditions those 15k miles are good for? If not...it's a false claim all day long.

The filter is rated for 15k, normal or severe service. I'd be more worried about other oils having enough additive left to make it to 15k than a modern engine filling up a filter under "normal" circumstances anyway.
Do the other filters you mentioned even specify a normal or severe service interval?

Users who are viewing this thread