5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Preference?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
25k miles???? There goes your PowerTrain warranty if something happens to your engine.
Personally, I would have to do oil samples every 10k to see how long I could keep going. However, Amsoil also has a Warranty Secure program. So if the manufacturer determines that their oil was the cause of the failure they will cover it. However, with moss magnuson it is up to the manufacturer to prove that the oil interval is what caused the failure...that can be simply proven incorrect with a oil sample.

I have read stories of people who have installed Amsoil bypass filters that change the filters every year and then top off oil and keep going....for tens of thousands of miles without doing a traditional oil change. Of course they sample atleast once a year.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Today

Honestly doesn't surprise me since Ram is the 5.7 and not the SRT. The Ultra Platinum is only a little better at protecting against high heat anyway....not even worth the extra cost for the RAM, probably not worth the extra cost at All.
Well it surprises me because the Ram service department just doesn’t take Rams. I’ve seen SRT challengers and chargers in there. So you would think they have the ultra platinum there for those cars. I also don’t care if it’s worth it or not like I had said before. The price difference is not a problem for me. I also change it every 5,000 miles.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well it surprises me because the Ram service department just doesn’t take Rams. I’ve seen SRT challengers and chargers in there. So you would think they have the ultra platinum there for those cars. I also don’t care if it’s worth it or not like I had said before. The price difference is not a problem for me. I also change it every 5,000 miles.
That's a good point since they're servicing SRTs, you'd think they'd at least have it available for the customers who request it. But just because it's filled at the factory with something doesn't mean they would keep filling it with the same thing afterwards at a different place. So far though I'm actually pretty impressed with the Pennzoil Platinum....this was my first time using it and its held up well...Mobil 1 for me next month for a comparison.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's a good point since they're servicing SRTs, you'd think they'd at least have it available for the customers who request it. But just because it's filled at the factory with something doesn't mean they would keep filling it with the same thing afterwards at a different place. So far though I'm actually pretty impressed with the Pennzoil Platinum....this was my first time using it and its held up well...Mobil 1 for me next month for a comparison.

Pennzoil Ultra was my favorite oil, and ranked very highly, until they changed the formula to the less expensive (to produce) Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I should have stocked up and bought a ton of the Ultra back when they first switched over.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is still a fantastic oil, but others are right, it tests only marginally better than Pennzoil Platinum (from the few comparatives I've seen online), and unless you catch it on sale @ Amazon, quite a bit more expensive. When not on sale, its actually pricier than Amsoil, which is just ridiculous.

Let us know how your testing goes. I used to use Mobil 1, but the 5.7s (wife's Jeep GC has it as well) seemed to be slightly less noisy with Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum/Amsoil.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pennzoil Ultra was my favorite oil, and ranked very highly, until they changed the formula to the less expensive (to produce) Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I should have stocked up and bought a ton of the Ultra back when they first switched over.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is still a fantastic oil, but others are right, it tests only marginally better than Pennzoil Platinum (from the few comparatives I've seen online), and unless you catch it on sale @ Amazon, quite a bit more expensive. When not on sale, its actually pricier than Amsoil, which is just ridiculous.

Let us know how your testing goes. I used to use Mobil 1, but the 5.7s (wife's Jeep GC has it as well) seemed to be slightly less noisy with Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum/Amsoil.
For sure. I always used the Mobil 1 in my charger RT without issue and that was when I was commuting a total of about 80 miles each day. I'm not going to do any lab comparisons but I will check the oil color after 2-3 months and just gauge how well the Ram runs, mpg, noise level, etc.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Question, I buy the Pennzoil ultra platinum for $24.97 for a 5 quart jug. I buy 2 but obviously it doesn’t take the whole 2 jugs. I’ve always just bought 2 more jugs every oil change. With that said, am I able to use that oil that was not used? I have like 5 jugs with some oil left in it from every oil change. I was wondering if that can be used on the next oil change. I have it stored in the garage in hot temperature if that helps with anything.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Question, I buy the Pennzoil ultra platinum for $24.97 for a 5 quart jug. I buy 2 but obviously it doesn’t take the whole 2 jugs. I’ve always just bought 2 more jugs every oil change. With that said, am I able to use that oil that was not used? I have like 5 jugs with some oil left in it from every oil change. I was wondering if that can be used on the next oil change. I have it stored in the garage in hot temperature if that helps with anything.
Are you trolling us? Of course you can use it. I doubt your garage has a higher operating temperature than a Hemi

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That would be one hot garage! Need oil flowing through the walls! Lol

I have a Taexx system in my house. Instead of a pest control liquid, I tell them to add ultra platinum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Taexx system in my house. Instead of a pest control liquid, I tell them to add ultra platinum!

If you mix the pest control in with the Ultra Platinum...I hear it increases your payload capacity to about 20,000 lbs :))

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you mix the pest control in with the Ultra Platinum...I hear it increases your payload capacity to about 20,000 lbs :))

But does it give me more torque?! I want so much torque that the chassis will twist coming off the line.....

Last edited:

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But does it give me more torque! I want so much torque that the chassis will twist coming off the line.....

I want my bed to fly off the frame during a drag launch! I hear the orange window washer fluid can help with that!

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I want my bed to fly off the frame during a drag launch! I hear the orange window washer fluid can help with that!

You heard wrong my friend. It’s the blinker fluid that can help with that. Just helping out where I can.

Last edited:

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You hear wrong my friend. It’s the blinker fluid that can help with that. Just helping out where I can.

Don't forget the K&N stickers in the back windows. You need that in combination with the blinker fluid to get the bolts to let go.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don't forget the K&N stickers in the back windows. You need that in combination with the blinker fluid to get the bolts to let go.
Ahh yes...the Liberal stickers too.... Make sure they completely cover the back window, wouldnt want to be watching the bed fly off and hit that little Honda Civic behind you!
...too much?

Users who are viewing this thread